Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
As the title says...This seems to be becoming the norm now...GMT 5AM-GMT 10AM that time frame sees the front pages spammed with all kinds of garbage. I report all I see, and I suppose it's a slack time on the site when US users are going to bed and European members are just rising. It is annoying though.

Last edited:

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
Thats probably because as you said its when the forum is used the least so there is less people to report the spam.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Thats probably because as you said its when the forum is used the least so there is less people to report the spam.

It's worse today...I have reported 26 and they are still rolling in.....Maybe we need a Mod on call I tend to be awake at the crack of dawn, and frequently find the forums overloaded with junk....I will persevere...I Hate spam:mad:

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
It's worse today...I have reported 26 and they are still rolling in.....Maybe we need a Mod on call I tend to be awake at the crack of dawn, and frequently find the forums overloaded with junk....I will persevere...I Hate spam:mad:

Yep totally agree - I've put in a bunch of reports too this morning. (gives me something useful to do).

spammers do pick the crossover times as they know their posts are likely to be removed, but at these times they will be displayed for the greater amount of time; and thus potentially clicked more.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Us moderators are volunteers so none of us are likely to want to be "on call". However we are geographically distributed to try and provide as good coverage as we can.

Please keep reporting the spam. It helps us :)

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
I've been doing my best trying to keep up. :(

And doing a fine job...It's just they are created faster than I can report...If I could zap 'em they wouldn't stand a chance.....Well done:)

----------

Us moderators are volunteers so none of us are likely to want to be "on call". However we are geographically distributed to try and provide as good coverage as we can.

Please keep reporting the spam. It helps us :)

Oh I will.....When I was a Mod on a windows site years ago I had the nickname "Spamkiller"

It's not every day, but the past few weeks have been insane.:)

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Just a little tip.

You don't have to report every post made by the same spammer, we can get rid of them and all of their posts from a single report. :)

Another tip (not aimed at Macman45 at all as I've not seen you do this!):

Don't reply to spam threads or quote spam posts. Replying in a spam thread is not so bad: your reply get deleted with the thread but if you quote a spam post we then need to edit your post too!

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
Just a little tip.

You don't have to report every post made by the same spammer, we can get rid of them and all of their posts from a single report. :)

Yes, I report the ones with the same usernames once, but these people selling shoes are joined by baseball spikes ( I know what I'd use them for) and football jerseys.

At least here people tend not to respond to them. On the site I worked on the used to post "Go away spammer" etc, which kept the ads at the top encouraging the creators.

I know how hard it is...I have the ( very old) tee-shirt..:D

----------

Another tip (not aimed at Macman45 at all as I've not seen you do this!):

Don't reply to spam threads or quote spam posts. Replying in a spam thread is not so bad: your reply get deleted with the thread but if you quote a spam post we then need to edit your post too!

See below....That was my biggest gripe on the Windows site...People did just that....Pointless, and we never could stop it.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Another thing about the volume of spam that comes in is that during the day in the US, there are more of us mods online and we zap an awful lot of it that the general membership never sees.

It's a non-stop battle of spam coming in all the time. :mad:

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
I guess its been discussed between admins and mods before but maybe having manual sign up approval could be trialed? That would slow em down?

I know captcha and email confirm were designed to do this but it seems nowadays spammer are more sophisticated.

Its a constant struggle between us and them.

Just a few pennies of my opinion thats all :)

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
I guess its been discussed between admins and mods before but maybe having manual sign up approval could be trialed? That would slow em down?

I know captcha and email confirm were designed to do this but it seems nowadays spammer are more sophisticated.

Its a constant struggle between us and them.

Just a few pennies of my opinion thats all :)

What about not being able to post links until your post count has reached 25 or something? That'd deter them.

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
What about not being able to post links until your post count has reached 25 or something? That'd deter them.

Yes thats not too bad at all - balance restrictions to prevent abuse with ease of access for genuine users :) Bunny approves
b.gif

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Yes thats not too bad at all - balance restrictions to prevent abuse with ease of access for genuine users :) Bunny approves Image

Might be a little annoying for legit member who want to post links, but I guess if they really need to they can just post the bare URL and people can copy n' paste :)

Another idea, although it's probably a bit high-tech to be implemented easily... Since the spammers always post threads with titles highly unrelated to the forum, those threads could be wastlanded automatically - For example: A thread called "adidas f50" in the MacBook Pro forum could be recognised easily by computer software as totally unrelated. That'd get rid of most of the spam without anyone having to do anything and without it hurting the user experience of new users.

Nov 28, 2010
located
What about reducing the wait time for reporting posts to less than 30 seconds, maybe 5 or so. Sometimes it comes in handy when reporting numerous SPAM posts, as I just did in an old thread (I combined the five SPAMMERS in one report)?

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
What about reducing the wait time for reporting posts to less than 30 seconds, maybe 5 or so. Sometimes it comes in handy when reporting numerous SPAM posts, as I just did in an old thread (I combined the five SPAMMERS in one report)?

That would be a great help....I frequently see multiple usernames and a lot of spam...Waiting 30 seconds can be irritating. I don't think the 25 post count is a bad idea though...These spam post's are often Bot generated and hard to keep up with.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
That would be a great help....I frequently see multiple usernames and a lot of spam...Waiting 30 seconds can be irritating. I don't think the 25 post count is a bad idea though...These spam post's are often Bot generated and hard to keep up with.

From memory I don't think it is possible. The report time is linked to some other VBulletin setting which shouldn't be changed (or something like that :p).

Macman45

macrumors G5
Original poster
Jul 29, 2011
From memory I don't think it is possible. The report time is linked to some other VBulletin setting which shouldn't be changed (or something like that :p).

Yes, it's not a huge deal as I always wait...Although there is no way to tell, I wonder out of curiosity just how much money these people manage to fleece? You'd have to be a little dim to actually buy anything from them, and I must admit, most members here do not respond to the post's....either that, or I get there before they can..:D

Comeagain?

macrumors 68020
Feb 17, 2011
Spokane, WA

Post reports are tied to the email flood check. It could obviously be changed, but would require custom coding, or a compromise.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Yes, it's not a huge deal as I always wait...Although there is no way to tell, I wonder out of curiosity just how much money these people manage to fleece? You'd have to be a little dim to actually buy anything from them, and I must admit, most members here do not respond to the post's....either that, or I get there before they can..:D

I wonder what ethnicity the spammers are too, as their english seems absolutely atrocious.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
As the title says...This seems to be becoming the norm now...GMT 5AM-GMT 10AM that time frame sees the front pages spammed with all kinds of garbage. I report all I see, and I suppose it's a slack time on the site when US users are going to bed and European members are just rising. It is annoying though.

I was thinking you were going to say spam intensified around the time of lunch breaks instead of spammers trying to grab clicks in the middle of the night. I guess that's a bigger window.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
If you need additional human spam monitors for different time zones, I would be willing to volunteer as I am based in East Asia :)

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
No New Threads unless x posts

Why don't you just set the post count to x, and not allow new signups to create a new thread until they have x reply's in other threads?

Seems it would smack them down quite quick.- at least the new thread spams, which appear to be the biggest culprits.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.