Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Subu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
Hi Folks

# my iPhone data size is growing;
# I'm looking for free / cheap cloud backups;
# will http://mega.co.nz help ?
# has anyone here tried ?
# do you know someone who has tried ?

TIA

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
# i have no idea what youre talking about
# if you need more icloud storage, buy some from apple or delete some stuff from your phone
# im not clicking any link you post, frankly you look like spam
# why do you keep typing with stupid #'s and just cant format your post like everyone else here can like normal

Subu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
# i have no idea what youre talking about
# if you need more icloud storage, buy some from apple or delete some stuff from your phone
# im not clicking any link you post, frankly you look like spam
# why do you keep typing with stupid #'s and just cant format your post like everyone else here can like normal

Appreciate you talking time to answer

I am NOT a spam or troll or anything like that. I am a genuine user. You can see I have posted earlier on cloud storage

I did NOT plan to post a link / URL ... the address got converted to a link

This time I managed typing without " ___ " that sign that inconvenienced you ! :)

I am looking at cheaper alternatives to apple ... hope you don't find that irritating

TIA

----------

here is more about mega

http://www.zdnet.com/kim-dotcoms-mega-launch-brings-privacy-to-free-50gb-cloud-drives-7000010041/

i am NOT recommending mega to anyone, i'm just asking

2ndchancephones

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2011
Denton, TX
Hi Folks

# my iPhone data size is growing;
# I'm looking for free / cheap cloud backups;
# will http://mega.co.nz help ?
# has anyone here tried ?
# do you know someone who has tried ?

TIA

You may look into restoring your phone. That sometimes flushes some of the old junk out and will recover some space.

Last edited by a moderator:

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
Post deleted by moderator

with all the foreign looking spam posted all over internet forums, i couldnt take the post seriously. proper posting goes a long way. abnormal ways of posting, like horrid grammar, typing in all caps and strange looking links, scream troll/forum spam. if you want answers on a forum, at least take the time to explain yourself in a normal, common manner as 99% other posters do. i see it all the time on forums and its just mindblowing. if his post was worded normal, without the hashtags leading each line, i would have taken it more seriously.

with that being said, i dont think there are any other kind of cloud services that can be used in place of apples icloud, that could make use of the phones icloud abilities. external storage....sure. photobucket, google drive and dropbox. but i doubt, maybe unless its jailbroken, that the OP can have the phone icloud sync with some other backup/hosting service other than apples icloud servers. his best bet is to delete the backups he has, shrink his next backup size by losing some data, then resync/backup again. or choose to pay for more storage.

Last edited by a moderator:

Subu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
You may look into restoring your phone. That sometimes flushes some of the old junk out and will recover some space.

thanks a ton. I am trying ...

Here's a more detailed post on this issue , IF you have the time
=====================================================

I have some 20 .. 25 minutes of video on my iPhone that is now showing approx 3 GB...; I am unable to delete these as these are quite important ; I can't figure out IF this is a quirk or what ?

I need to take more videos !! :) meaning the size will grow; As of I now I've switched *off* synching of videos to iCloud but that is not the intention , that is just what happened

Alternate question : Are there any sites where I can upload the videos without loss of quality ...at least without major loss of quality... then I can delete these videos from iPhone

TIA

----------

with all the foreign looking spam posted all over internet forums, i couldnt take the post seriously. proper posting goes a long way. abnormal ways of posting, like horrid grammar, typing in all caps and strange looking links, scream troll/forum spam. if you want answers on a forum, at least take the time to explain yourself in a normal, common manner as 99% other posters do.

I think I did all of the above ....including being "foreign" ! :)

if his post was worded normal, without the hashtags leading each line, i would have taken it more seriously.

the hastags !! d@m... the hastags ... I have been using them off and on and no one got offended ....till.... !

with that being said, i dont think there are any other kind of cloud services that can be used in place of apples icloud, that could make use of the phones icloud abilities.

I am *not* looking for any special abilities. I am happy with even a full backup without selection as long as the prices are reasonable ... ok I admit cheaper than iCloud !

external storage....sure. photobucket, google drive and dropbox.

Trying Dropbox. But *I* feel that is still costly and a lot of drag and drop ...and...

but i doubt, maybe unless its jailbroken, that

My phone is *not* jailbroken. Mine *is* using legal apple op. system etc

TIA

corys00

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
Dropbox works great, I have over 30 GB of free storage. There's also Google Drive and Box.net.

dictoresno

macrumors 601
Apr 30, 2012
NJ
i did a full restore last night and started as new. my backups may be smaller, since my pics are now gone, but the previous backup is still in icloud and taking up room.

Subu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 10, 2013
Dropbox works great, I have over 30 GB of free storage. There's also Google Drive and Box.net.

GREAT ... a reply I like :)

How did you manage the 30GB of free storage ? that's the key ! I'm at somewhere near 0.5 GB !

TIA

buremarey

macrumors newbie
Jan 26, 2013
i dont think there are any other kind of cloud services that can be used in place of apples icloud
6f.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.