Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nychot

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 15, 2011
I would not have spent $300 on the new touch. But I was able to get it free from credit card points. That said its an impressive little device. The camera is equal to the one on my ipad mini and ipad 3. The screen is brilliant and is what the Mimi's screen should be. It's fast and truly is a pocket Mac in many ways. But $300 is an insane price. If the mini is $329, which I also got for free with rewards points, the touch should cost no more than $200 for the 32gb. My wonderful 16gb nexus 7 tablet cost $249 when it came out last July. And now the 32gb is I believe $200 or $249. Actually a far better deal than the touch. But again the touch is even more pocketable and equally as powerful.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
I would not have spent $300 on the new touch. But I was able to get it free from credit card points. That said its an impressive little device. The camera is equal to the one on my ipad mini and ipad 3. The screen is brilliant and is what the Mimi's screen should be. It's fast and truly is a pocket Mac in many ways. But $300 is an insane price. If the mini is $329, which I also got for free with rewards points, the touch should cost no more than $200 for the 32gb. My wonderful 16gb nexus 7 tablet cost $249 when it came out last July. And now the 32gb is I believe $200 or $249. Actually a far better deal than the touch. But again the touch is even more pocketable and equally as powerful.

The iPod touch and the iPad mini are different products if where honest. Then if we're honest again the iPod touch 5th gen is an iphone 5 without the phone side of things. It's a lot of current gen tech packed into a small package. Take that and look at the mini. The tech inside is a lot older and cheaper to produce.

cobbyco

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2012
iPod touch:
Higher quality 16:9 display
Camera WITH flash and 'loop'
32GB storage compared to 16GB for base iPad mini
Slimmer design
Comes with 'earPods' earphones

Personally I think the $299/£249 price point is perfectly acceptable considering the listed advantages. When put side by side with the iPad mini it's clear that both devices have their upsides and downsides, but both are well priced for what they are.

Depends on how you intend to use the device - if you're buying it alongside a smartphone then yes, that's a lot of money to pay for something that does the exact same thing as your phone except for make calls (which it does anyway with a third party app - for free - as well as free video calls)
However if you're using it as your primary device, with perhaps a dumbphone or even just by itself, then £250 or £330 for 64gb is a perfectly reasonable price to pay for something that does EVERYTHING a smartphone does without being extorted by a phone contract.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
There is an apple discount in my area about 35 bucks off full price and its only one day event.

Should i, should i? Ipad mini remains same place so that gap kinda make little more sense now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.