Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jdtwyo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
So I have a large Itunes library and I have exceeded my 2tb drive. I have made up my mind that I am going to buy a Synology but in the mean time. Can you put your itunes library across multiple drives. I.e Some movies on one drive, music on another, etc.

I have 4 external drives just sitting around that I would like to use until I can drop the cash on a synology.

MarkG21

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2010
sure can. Just make sure to uncheck copy files to itunes media folder in preferences advance tab. (if it's already checked)

SurfMacJpMtb

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2008
USA
Yes, you can have multiple drives. I allow iTunes to organize my music but not my movies or TV shows. My video files are on another drive in multiple folders. When I import a movie or TV show I hold down the option key and the video file is not moved from the location I placed it. Hopefully that makes sense. The key is to hold the option key when importing files that you don't want iTunes to "organize".

Pyromonkey83

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2009
Yes, you can have multiple drives. I allow iTunes to organize my music but not my movies or TV shows. My video files are on another drive in multiple folders. When I import a movie or TV show I hold down the option key and the video file is not moved from the location I placed it. Hopefully that makes sense. The key is to hold the option key when importing files that you don't want iTunes to "organize".

You can either do it this way or uncheck the box in preferences that says "copy files to itunes folder" under advanced. This will also do it for music however, but when you rip music from a CD or buy from iTunes, it will automatically place it in your iTunes folder.

If you get music from other sources, you can also add the files normally from wherever, then select said files, right click them, and click "consolidate files" and it will move them to your iTunes folder like normal.

Jdtwyo

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 31, 2008
Thanks for the info. Im not sure why I didnt realize that. I currently have my entire library on a 2tb external. What do you think the best way to reorganize it all is? I have plenty of room on my main HDD to move all my Apps, Books, and Music to the main library. It's really my movies that I want to spread across multiple external drives.

Any tips for reorganizing would be really appreciated.

Phish311

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2007
I would like to do this as well, however, with a number of movies or tv shows i add to itunes, the file name does not "clean up" until a consolidate. Is there a work around other than editing that myself. This happens mostly with m4v files

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.