Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 24, 2013, 04:16 AM   #1
iDento
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: iCloud Servers
iPhone 5 still has problems?

Hello,

I want to get an iPhone 5, it will be my first iPhone, I have an iPod Touch 4G that I really like & a Nokia E90. I'll get an unlocked one.

My question is, is scuffgate problems solved by Apple yet? Are the new iPhones scuffgate free or should I be worried?

I like my MacBook, iPad 3, Apple TV & AirPort Extreme too, I wish Apple solve these problems ASAP.
iDento is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 04:49 AM   #2
John T
macrumors 68020
 
John T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK.
The answer to your query is simple! If have experience of Apple products and know how to look after them and realise that, like all things made from aluminium, it will scratch if it is abused!

In my opinion, he majority of whingers and moaners who frequent the "scuffgate" type threads can simply be ignored because their comments are largely exaggerated, inaccurate and attention seeking.

My iPhone 5 is nearly three months old and since day 1, used without a case is as pristine now as the day I bought it.
John T is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 04:54 AM   #3
lukefinch
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: South Yorkshire, England
Send a message via MSN to lukefinch
I've had my black iPhone 5 since launch day and i don't have any scuffs. If you look after your phone then you will be fine.
__________________
White MacBook 2.13GHz 4gb RAM 120gb SSD Black iPhone 5 16Gb White iPad Mini 32gb
lukefinch is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 04:59 AM   #4
Harrycooke
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: London/New York
Mine would be perfect, had I not forgot about the coins in my pocket.
Harrycooke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:04 AM   #5
-jc
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Even if you get one thats marked when its new, Apple will replace it with a perfect one. As for protecting it, get a good case and use a screen protector.
__________________
ResExcellence - Serving Apple-related goodness since 1997.
-jc is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:13 AM   #6
x-evil-x
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by John T View Post
The answer to your query is simple! If have experience of Apple products and know how to look after them and realise that, like all things made from aluminium, it will scratch if it is abused!

In my opinion, he majority of whingers and moaners who frequent the "scuffgate" type threads can simply be ignored because their comments are largely exaggerated, inaccurate and attention seeking.

My iPhone 5 is nearly three months old and since day 1, used without a case is as pristine now as the day I bought it.
not true...
i had my black ip5 came scuffed. did a little testing with it and it would nick super easily. falling out of my pocket onto the side of my car seat made it show silver. why would people complain if their wasnt a problem ?
x-evil-x is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:55 AM   #7
NemetiMirel
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: USA
I had my iPhone replaced after getting some scuff problems on it. It's the best at the moment and way over iPhone 4S. Get it and you won't regret (also jailbreak it)
__________________
Current device owner: iPhone 5, future device owner: iPhone 6, freed my iphone with this.
NemetiMirel is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:58 AM   #8
Nale72
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-evil-x View Post
not true...
i had my black ip5 came scuffed. did a little testing with it and it would nick super easily. falling out of my pocket onto the side of my car seat made it show silver. why would people complain if their wasnt a problem ?
Because it's an Apple product and they are top notch quality. If someone say they have quality problems and scratch easily, they are probably lying or are Fandroids, buying an very expensive iPhone that they abuse and then come here and complain that it did so even though they babied it.

At least that's the impression I get from many of the forumists. I recently got my first iPhone and my iP5 came in mint condition and I've had front and back protection plus silicon case or bumper since day one. I Still have gotten one small nick (ca 1x1 mm) that shines through the black, just beside the volume buttons, under the case/bumper. I have never seen anything like that on my previous (HTC) phones (also brown/black aluminum frames).

My guess is that some iPhone 5's have problem with the aluminum scratching/flaking very easily. Other phones seem to being able to take a whole lot of abuse without showing the smallest blemish (according to some on this forum at least). But it seems as Apple is aware of the potential problem and will replace it should that happen.
Nale72 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:46 AM   #9
bmcgrath
macrumors 65816
 
bmcgrath's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: London, United Kingdom
Here's a plain and simple answer.

No.
__________________
iMac, Macbook Pro, iPhone, iPad, Sony Nex7
www.twitter.com/bazmeister
www.flickr.com/bazzymcg/
bmcgrath is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:12 AM   #10
corvus32
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA
The phones are fine.

It's user error that's the problem.

The ones that do something dumb to their iPhone and scratch it then want to blame Apple for it.

It's never their fault. It's the iPhone's fault. How can Apple make something that scratches so easily?

I dunno. Because you're an idiot maybe?
__________________
iPhone 5S 16GB (Silver) | iPad Air 128GB (Space Grey)
0_o
corvus32 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:47 AM   #11
latormenta
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Just got mine yesterday. Only issue I could fine after examining it was that one of the bottom screws had not been put in all the way during manufacturing. Simple 5 second fix they did for me.
latormenta is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:48 AM   #12
Nale72
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by corvus32 View Post
The phones are fine.

It's user error that's the problem.

The ones that do something dumb to their iPhone and scratch it then want to blame Apple for it.

It's never their fault. It's the iPhone's fault. How can Apple make something that scratches so easily?

I dunno. Because you're an idiot maybe?
I can assure you that it's not possible to take more care of the phone than I have done (besides never using it and storing it in a cushioned box). I've never dropped it and never used it without silicone case or silicone bumper (which I clean regularly). I still have gotten a flake/nick at the volume buttons, under the bumper, that I noticed after 2 weeks.

How are you to call me dumb/idiot/liar just because you can't understand or believe that?

I have had several phones before, with black and brown aluminium bodies, that I have taken equally good care of without getting any "phantom nicks" even close to this one. And those phones were bought at a cost around 50% of what my iPhone 5 costed and used for about a year.

I don't say the nick is such a big deal since the phone works well and the damage is under the bumper so it's not noticeable. But just because you and others don't have any problems doesn't mean that some might. I have been around several forums for several brands the past years, but have never ever seen so many being so incredible protective about their brand as here. The first/normal reaction with many here is that if someone has something negative to say about any Apple product they must be lying or have done it on purpose just to get an opportunity to bash Apple with their made up accusations.

You can't even say that you would like to have a few functions that other phones have without one or more answer you something like "well, then get an Android instead Apple basher". Can't enlighten flaws and wanting iOS to evolve and getting even better be a good thing? Why can't some understand that instead of being protective/aggressive as soon as something they believe is negative about their precious Apple. Unbelievable ...
Nale72 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:52 AM   #13
John T
macrumors 68020
 
John T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-evil-x View Post
..... why would people complain if there wasn't a problem ?
Simply because because they love to! The majority of us, if we do have a problem, simply get on and solve it without having to broadcast it to all and sundry!
John T is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:13 AM   #14
Spidder
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
I think that Foxconn workers are getting better every day. And you shouldnt forget, that Foxconn has hired hundreds of unexperienced college students to assemble the phones, so that there are enough phones available in the first weeks after launch. Now there are enough phones, the students are back at college and only the experienced workers get their hands on our phones.

My phone f.e. is flawless. Its production week is 51. Two others I had were production week 44 and 46 and both had scuffs.
Spidder is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:24 AM   #15
corvus32
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nale72 View Post
I can assure you that it's not possible to take more care of the phone than I have done (besides never using it and storing it in a cushioned box). I've never dropped it and never used it without silicone case or silicone bumper (which I clean regularly). I still have gotten a flake/nick at the volume buttons, under the bumper, that I noticed after 2 weeks.

How are you to call me dumb/idiot/liar just because you can't understand or believe that?

I have had several phones before, with black and brown aluminium bodies, that I have taken equally good care of without getting any "phantom nicks" even close to this one. And those phones were bought at a cost around 50% of what my iPhone 5 costed and used for about a year.

I don't say the nick is such a big deal since the phone works well and the damage is under the bumper so it's not noticeable. But just because you and others don't have any problems doesn't mean that some might. I have been around several forums for several brands the past years, but have never ever seen so many being so incredible protective about their brand as here. The first/normal reaction with many here is that if someone has something negative to say about any Apple product they must be lying or have done it on purpose just to get an opportunity to bash Apple with their made up accusations.

You can't even say that you would like to have a few functions that other phones have without one or more answer you something like "well, then get an Android instead Apple basher". Can't enlighten flaws and wanting iOS to evolve and getting even better be a good thing? Why can't some understand that instead of being protective/aggressive as soon as something they believe is negative about their precious Apple. Unbelievable ...
You used the phone and got a mark on it. Big deal.

I have telescopes worth thousands of dollars that have all kinds of little nicks and scuff marks on their anodized aluminum parts.
__________________
iPhone 5S 16GB (Silver) | iPad Air 128GB (Space Grey)
0_o
corvus32 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:27 AM   #16
toondw
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Northumberland, UK
I have had 2 black iPhone 5's. neither have any problems, as usual a few bad 'apples' in the barrel and everybody thinks it a big problem.
toondw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:21 AM   #17
Browns2212
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Perrysburg, OH
I just got my wife an iPhone 5 back on January 5th.

She wanted a case b/c she's a clutz when it comes to electronics. She liked the Otterbox case they had at the store, which was $60. I honestly didn't even look at the phone as they took it out of the box and put it right in the case at the store.

It's worked great so far and she loves the phone.

Did it have any scuffs? Don't know and honestly didn't really care as my wife wanted (and needed) a case anyways.

The phone works great, which is the most important thing.

PS - That said, I do think Apple messed up a bit with the "finish" of the phone. The fact that it does scratch rather easily for "most" users is a problem. Would it stop me from buying it? No, but I think it is a universal i5 problem that will be addressed/fixed when the next version launches.

Last edited by Browns2212; Jan 24, 2013 at 09:39 AM. Reason: Added the PS
Browns2212 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:21 AM   #18
Nale72
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by corvus32 View Post
You used the phone and got a mark on it. Big deal.
Nope, as I said, I personally don't think the nick is a big deal. But I still think it's odd to get a nick that easy when compared to my older, much longer used, aluminium phones that also was cheaper. Which make me realize that others might think that's a problem.

I'm just getting fed up with people accusing others of lying, being idiots or manipulate their phones just because they admit that they have had problems with their iPhone. It's ok (or even positive) to write about every negative experience with other brand of phones, but as soon as something say the slightest negative thing about an apple product they get bashed. Maybe I'm just too objective to fit in to a forum like this.
Nale72 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:29 AM   #19
Wicked1
macrumors 68040
 
Wicked1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by John T View Post
The answer to your query is simple! If have experience of Apple products and know how to look after them and realise that, like all things made from aluminium, it will scratch if it is abused!

In my opinion, he majority of whingers and moaners who frequent the "scuffgate" type threads can simply be ignored because their comments are largely exaggerated, inaccurate and attention seeking.

My iPhone 5 is nearly three months old and since day 1, used without a case is as pristine now as the day I bought it.


They scratch just sitting in a case, I handle my phone with care however sitting in a case since new mine has scuffs all over and my case is snug, poor design if you ask me.
Wicked1 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:14 AM   #20
E.Lizardo
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by iDento View Post
Hello,

I want to get an iPhone 5, it will be my first iPhone, I have an iPod Touch 4G that I really like & a Nokia E90. I'll get an unlocked one.

My question is, is scuffgate problems solved by Apple yet? Are the new iPhones scuffgate free or should I be worried?

I like my MacBook, iPad 3, Apple TV & AirPort Extreme too, I wish Apple solve these problems ASAP.
As long as it works I don't care.It's a great phone and I bought it to use not gaze at misty eyed for hours on end.
In short,I have a life.
__________________
I'm sure you care what Apple gear I have about as much as I care about yours,so I won't bother putting it here.
E.Lizardo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:40 AM   #21
Tulani
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
If there wasn't a scuff problem with the black iPhone 5 there would not have been any discussion regards this
Tulani is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:43 PM   #22
John T
macrumors 68020
 
John T's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: UK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked1 View Post
They scratch just sitting in a case,
Aha! It must be haunted!

Quote:
I handle my phone with care however sitting in a case since new mine has scuffs all over and my case is snug, poor design if you ask me.
Agreed. Your case must be poorly designed!
John T is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:39 PM   #23
pooleman
macrumors 65816
 
pooleman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Eastern CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by x-evil-x View Post
....why would people complain if their wasnt a problem ?
Because people are complainers. Not all but many. I know a lot of people that complain about everything. I could give a $50 bill to some of those people and they'll complain 'cause it's green.
__________________
Mac Mini (latest model), iBook G4, Mac Mini (mid 2007), iPhone, iPhone 4, ATV3, iPad 2, iPad Mini, iPad Air.
pooleman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:55 PM   #24
iDento
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: iCloud Servers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidder View Post
I think that Foxconn workers are getting better every day. And you shouldnt forget, that Foxconn has hired hundreds of unexperienced college students to assemble the phones, so that there are enough phones available in the first weeks after launch. Now there are enough phones, the students are back at college and only the experienced workers get their hands on our phones.

My phone f.e. is flawless. Its production week is 51. Two others I had were production week 44 and 46 and both had scuffs.
Thanks, can you please tell me how to know the production week of the iPhone?
iDento is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:00 PM   #25
AllAmerican
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
I've had my black iphone 5 for about 3 1/2 now. It came out of the box perfect and has been in and out of a case 50+ times and still looks pretty brand new. If I try my hardest to look for imperfections, then yeah I guess there are some very slight parts of the aluminum that are showing silver such as by the silent switch.

A lot of people can't take care of their stuff and they blame companies for poor quality control. I think this scuffgate stuff is just like people that buy black or dark colored cars and complain that their paint is scratched or has swirls. It's just easier to see, deal with it
AllAmerican is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does the standard iPhone warranty transfer? Having problems with used iPhone Rhyno37 iPhone 15 Jan 9, 2014 01:32 PM
iPhone 3GS problems - there is a problem with your iPhone Mat246 iPhone 17 Mar 13, 2013 04:14 AM
Wi-Fi problems on iPhone 5 abz1981 iPhone 1 Jan 26, 2013 10:32 AM
iPhone 5 problems LeeRoylee iPhone 4 Oct 1, 2012 10:41 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:30 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps