Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iger.jpg
Today at the Hollywood Radio and Television Panel, Disney CEO and Apple board of directors member Bob Iger discussed his relationship with Steve Jobs, according to The Wrap.

Jobs became Disney's largest shareholder after he sold Pixar to Disney for $7.4 billion, which also set the stage for Disney's acquisitions of Marvel and Lucasfilm later on. Iger recalled that the deal almost never happened because of Jobs' disagreements with previous Disney CEO Michael Eisner. When Iger took over, one of the first things he did was call Jobs.
"I don't even remember it being totally premeditated," Iger said. "I just decided to call my parents and my grown daughters in New York and a couple of good friends and Steve."
He asked Jobs if their relationship could be salvaged, but Jobs responded that he felt that Iger was just more of the same, although he agreed to talk anyway. The rest is history as Pixar was sold to Disney and Iger and Jobs' relationship, and by extension Disney and Apple's relationship, improved.

Iger said Jobs was "relentlessly" honest and that he would call Jobs on Saturday nights to find out if the latest Disney movies "sucked." Iger went on to say that Jobs' directness was infectious and that he told Jobs how much Disney needed Pixar to improve its animation offerings. He later learned, after reading Walter Isaacson's biography of Jobs, that Jobs had been impressed by Iger's honesty.

Jobs has had a major impact in the world of animation as well as Disney and Pixar's fortunes. In November, Pixar named its main building after Jobs.

Article Link: Disney CEO Remembers Relationship with Steve Jobs

bubba451

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2002
Though Steve was the majority shareholder, Pixar was publicly traded before it was acquired by Disney. Steve didn't come home with a check for $7.4B: just like any other shareholder, his PIXR shares became DIS shares (though those shares did become a bit more valuable on rumors of the sale).

Last edited:

StarPower

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2012
Bob Iger is a great CEO, and glad to have him as a part of the Apple team.

A note of interest: Iger bought $1 Million worth of AAPL shares when it was at $375 during the time it pulled back to the mid $300's in late 2011 from the $400+ area, with all the same fear mongering stories we have now.

He just bought $1 Million more AAPL shares at $575-ish recently, before the stock started going downwards again.

IMO if that's not a vote of confidence, then I don't know what is. A brilliant businessman and visionary like Iger doesn't do something like that for nothing.

Then again, Wall Street punishes Apple for one of the most impressively performing quarters in corporate history while the stock is at a 10 P/E.... that's right, not a 100 P/E, but a 10 P/E (and a 6 when you back out cash), not to mention Apple's best quarter of all time, so it's all becoming clear who the "idiots" are.

lamerica80

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2008
"He asked Jobs if their relationship could be salvaged, but Jobs responded that he felt that Iger was just more of the same, although he agreed to talk anyway."

Maybe they shouldve tried counceling?

Rocketman

macrumors 603
I know a half dozen folks who work for Disney Animation including my best friend. The technical differences in the animation are large and constantly changing and evolving, but the biggest change was cultural. Disney IS animation and storytelling is the key to its success. Pixar refocused itself then Disney on storytelling. The tools just widen the range of possibility to that end.

With culture being the secret ingredient, it's no wonder Steve formed and emphasized Apple U at the C-suite level.

Rocketman

Attachments

• das.jpg
    das.jpg
    1,010.1 KB · Views: 206

iEnvy

macrumors 65816
Jun 25, 2010
DFW
More evidence that Steve was a....lets put this nicely.. very outspoken person..

SeanMcg

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2004
...Disney IS animation and storytelling is the key to its success. Pixar refocused itself then Disney on storytelling. The tools just widen the range of possibility to that end.

This is the key. Disney has gone through a bunch of phases with its animation, but the low points have usually come when the story just wasn't there. Pixar focused on making sure the story was there and the technology helped to tell the story, although I think they drifted a bit as well. Wall-E and UP seemed to be lacking, to me, but Brave was a return to a quality story.

As part of the Pixar purchase, Iger was able to put John Lasseter in as Chief Creative Officer at Disney. Also a very smart move.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
He called Steve after knowing that Steve would only sell PIXAR to Disney if Iger became the CEO. Whether Iger got the memo or it was handled by the Board and they never told him is irrelevant. It's good to see he already was going to call Steve ahead of time, without the prodding of the board [assuming one can buy his recollection of the past].

The reason we know Steve's history is sound is because he promised Catmull and Lassetter that the deal wouldn't happen if Iger didn't become the CEO.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Holy airbrushing batman!

Hey, I'd hit it. Rich, successful, and moderately attractive for a guy in his demographic. Yeah, I'd be his *****. (then again, I have no shame, just get me a black Amex, Range Rover HSE, Mercedes SL w/ driver, a townhouse, home in Tuscany...)

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Who the hell took that crappy picture? I'm a rank amateur photographer, no doubt. But I know bad lighting when I see it. It's like a Two-Face or Do No Harm shot.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Jobs became Disney's largest shareholder after he sold Pixar to Disney for $7.4 billion, which also set the stage for Disney's acquisitions of Marvel and Lucasfilm later on.

How did the sale of Pixar set the stage for Disney's acquisition of Marvel and Lucasfilm?

iSayuSay

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2011
This is the key. Disney has gone through a bunch of phases with its animation, but the low points have usually come when the story just wasn't there. Pixar focused on making sure the story was there and the technology helped to tell the story, although I think they drifted a bit as well. Wall-E and UP seemed to be lacking, to me, but Brave was a return to a quality story.

As part of the Pixar purchase, Iger was able to put John Lasseter in as Chief Creative Officer at Disney. Also a very smart move.

Whoa .. not that it matters, but completely my opposite. I think Wall-E, UP, along with Ratatouille are the best movies made by Pixar. They have this less Disney and more Pixar in it. More story driven, touching and less childish. Continuing the legendary Finding Nemo.
Brave is just meh with all the cliche characters. A bit too much Disney and girly like Tangled

Milltek

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2011
U.S. Northeast
Bob Iger is a great CEO, and glad to have him as a part of the Apple team.

A note of interest: Iger bought $1 Million worth of AAPL shares when it was at $375 during the time it pulled back to the mid $300's in late 2011 from the $400+ area, with all the same fear mongering stories we have now.

He just bought $1 Million more AAPL shares at $575-ish recently, before the stock started going downwards again.

IMO if that's not a vote of confidence, then I don't know what is. A brilliant businessman and visionary like Iger doesn't do something like that for nothing.

Then again, Wall Street punishes Apple for one of the most impressively performing quarters in corporate history while the stock is at a 10 P/E.... that's right, not a 100 P/E, but a 10 P/E (and a 6 when you back out cash), not to mention Apple's best quarter of all time, so it's all becoming clear who the "idiots" are.

I'll add to this by asking the obvious question Where were all these critics and analysts when the financial services industry was blowing the economy up 5+ years ago?? The next question is where do they get the stones to critique a guy who wlks onto a stage (either Jobs or Cook) show a new product and then sell tens of millions of units? They say that "those who can do" and "those who can't
teach". Well to those old sayings we should add "and those who are afraid to try anything sit on the sidelines and whine".

Just my 2 cents.

needfx

Suspended
Aug 10, 2010
macrumors apparently
How did the sale of Pixar set the stage for Disney's acquisition of Marvel and Lucasfilm?

Very good question.

Pixar's portfolio bumped Disney's street cred so the rest of the homies swore-in the UCC (United Creative Clan) without any hesitation.

Now they control everything North of Animation & West of Script with style

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Very good question.

Pixar's portfolio bumped Disney's street cred so the rest of the homies swore-in the UCC (United Creative Clan) without any hesitation.

Now they control everything North of Animation & West of Script with style

When I read that, I would have sworn Golson wrote it.

Bill Killer

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2011
Whoa .. not that it matters, but completely my opposite. I think Wall-E, UP, along with Ratatouille are the best movies made by Pixar. They have this less Disney and more Pixar in it. More story driven, touching and less childish. Continuing the legendary Finding Nemo.
Brave is just meh with all the cliche characters. A bit too much Disney and girly like Tangled

God forbid Pixar fall back to Disney levels. Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King, and The Little Mermaid are just too kiddyish.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.