Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:10 AM   #1
Donia330i
macrumors regular

People think I'm crazy for wanting an iPad mini

Hey guys, this is my first post on here!

So, I've decided I would like to get the new iPad mini which comes out in march. I already have an iPad 2 and my friends and fiancé say it’s crazy to get a new iPad when I already have one. One of the main reason I would let to get a mini is because my iPad 2 is only 16 gb, I would like to get at least a 32 gb mini. Also another reason is I will be getting the iphone 5s and would like to be able to charge everything with one cord. My last reason is I would like to carry the iPad mini with me to work and around town daily.

Now my question is should I get the new 32bg mini and keep my iPad 2 at home to use there?

Or do I get rid of my iPad 2 and just get the newest version of the full size iPad in 32bg?

Or just continue to use my current iPad 2 and just be content with the space?
Donia330i is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:13 AM   #2
dukebound85
macrumors P6

It really is a personal decision. If you want it and can afford it, why not? However, if funds are tight, I wouldn't personally.
dukebound85 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:15 AM   #3
basesloaded190
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to basesloaded190
Welcome.

First off, do what you want to do. Don't listen to other people who may think you are "crazy"

Do you need two iPads? If not, I would sell the iPad 2 to finance the purchase of the mini (Which no one knows when will be coming out; may be march, may be September for all we know. )
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:19 AM   #4
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

These sound like perfectly valid reasons to upgrade.

Regardless of which one you choose, I see no reason to keep your iPad2 unless you are giving it to your fiance. If so he/she will probably change her opinion on the foolishness of your upgrading iPads.

Pick up either the Mini or the 4 and try it for a week, return it and try out the other. Then make your final decision.

Remember that while the Mini will feel super convenient, the 4's screen is really hard to beat. Unless you live in a very northern climate, the Mini is not year round pocketable because you won't wear a jacket during the summer. You'll have to carry it in a bag of some sort for some of the year.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:37 AM   #5
ditzy
macrumors 65816

As long as you can easily, afford it, these seem like perfectly good reasons to upgrade. I would in your situation.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:40 AM   #6
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donia330i View Post
So, I've decided I would like to get the new iPad mini which comes out in march.
There is no solid evidence that a new iPad mini is coming out in March.

If it was me, I wouldn't buy a second tablet.
ucfgrad93 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:38 AM   #7
Small White Car
macrumors G4

I sold my iPad 2 to get a Mini. Nothing wrong with that.

Keeping both for yourself would be a bit weird, yes. But replacing a piece of tech with another is not strange at all.
Small White Car is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:47 AM   #8
Ztormie
macrumors regular

Keep your ipad2 until fall, there won't be a new iPad Mini in march.
Ztormie is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:50 AM   #9
isephmusic
macrumors 6502

i know people who use a 4 at home and a mini on the go. apple likes those kinds of people lol aka suckers ! just use 1 that completes your full line of needs
isephmusic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 03:10 PM   #10
Donia330i
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by isephmusic View Post
i know people who use a 4 at home and a mini on the go. apple likes those kinds of people lol aka suckers ! just use 1 that completes your full line of needs
Well this is what I also thought about doing. Use the mini on the go and then replace my mac with the full size ipad as my home laptop.
Donia330i is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 03:14 PM   #11
rmhop81
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donia330i View Post
Hey guys, this is my first post on here!

So, I've decided I would like to get the new iPad mini which comes out in march. I already have an iPad 2 and my friends and fiancé say it’s crazy to get a new iPad when I already have one. One of the main reason I would let to get a mini is because my iPad 2 is only 16 gb, I would like to get at least a 32 gb mini. Also another reason is I will be getting the iphone 5s and would like to be able to charge everything with one cord. My last reason is I would like to carry the iPad mini with me to work and around town daily.

Now my question is should I get the new 32bg mini and keep my iPad 2 at home to use there?

Or do I get rid of my iPad 2 and just get the newest version of the full size iPad in 32bg?

Or just continue to use my current iPad 2 and just be content with the space?
once you start using the mini...you will enjoy it like crazy and will look at the iPad 2 and be like I really used this thing? the iPad 2 will seem absolutely huge after using the mini. people are always so weird about others getting new things when they cannot afford it themselves.

Get a mini and if you don't like it return it. If you love it so much after you use it for a bit either keep the iPad 2 or sell it. My bet would be that you will sell it tho.

We have a MBA, but it's literally used twice a month? We each have a mini and iphone 5 and we are set.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 03:20 PM   #12
NutsNGum
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Suckers. Or people that like tech, and can afford to have them.
NutsNGum is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:17 PM   #13
Aspasia
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Since when does convenience and efficiency make one a "sucker"?
Aspasia is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:25 PM   #14
flavr
macrumors 6502

what iPad mini in March?...you mean October?...
flavr is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 07:30 PM   #15
gigantojim
macrumors newbie

You don't need a reason. If you want one and a newer version isn't coming out next week, then go for it if that's what you want.

I much prefer my mini to the regular size one I had.
gigantojim is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:11 PM   #16
raccoonboy
macrumors 6502a

Get it, use it for awhile, then see if you still use your Ipad 2 or is it just sitting there collecting dust.

If so, sell Ipad 2 for some money for your Iphone 5.
raccoonboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:21 PM   #17
danpass
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by racoonboy View Post
Get it, use it for awhile, then see if you still use your Ipad 2 or is it just sitting there collecting dust.

If so, sell Ipad 2 for some money for your Iphone 5.
Yep, you've got 14 calendar days to try it out.
danpass is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:36 AM   #18
WeegieMac

I have an iPad mini with Retina Display to use on the go already.

It's called my iPhone.
WeegieMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:07 AM   #19
Badrottie
macrumors 68030

if the price is right for you then go for it and sell your iPad 2 to get your money back.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:38 AM   #20
7thson
macrumors 6502

There is no guarantee their will be a new mini in March or October, for that matter. If there is, wouldn't you be bummed if all it got was a modest spec bump and maybe some color variations and no retina? If the tech for retina on a mini isn't ready, it won't have it. My point is you could be enjoying one now, instead of dreaming about "the one" that's coming. Carpe Diem! There is sound logic in trying one out, and if you like it, keep it. Within a month you'll see how little, or not, you use the iPad 2 and can decide whether or not to sell it. One thing is certain, and that is that Apple products hold their value, so if a retina mini does show up in the fall, which I humbly think is the soonest we will see it, then your mini will still be worth $, depending on how you treat it, and you might be able able to upgrade again for a modest price by selling the old mini.
7thson is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:10 AM   #21
techstyle
macrumors newbie

I have iPad 2 , 4 and just just got the mini. I love my mini because it goes with me everywhere and in class it's easy to take out when my MBP is dying , travels very well. The retina you mention I can't honestly justify waiting for a mini with retina the screen on mini is extremely good. Pick one up and try it out.
I think most people on here justified the purchase of the mini, "Go for it"
techstyle is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:18 AM   #22
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

You have no idea, not even a remote one, that a new mini will be out in march. That said, sell your iPad 2 and get the mini in march, whichever model it is
GoCubsGo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:41 AM   #23
nightlong
macrumors 6502a

Get what you need and enjoy being crazy, it's more fun than being dull ... And miserable because you haven't got what you need.

If you are getting iPhone, I recommend trying the ipad4 before deciding on a mini. I would sell the 2, 16GB is close to useless now and will only get worse.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:51 AM   #24
maflynn

I didn't look to others to base my purchase on and if they think you're crazy so be it. If the mini fits your needs/wants then go for it.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 06:05 AM   #25
LaunchpadBS
macrumors 6502a

If it's what you want and you find the form better for you than the iPad then go for it, I bought one and ended up giving my iPad to my dad as I didn't even use it anymore after I got the Mini, for me it's the perfect size.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad