Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac

Old Jan 22, 2013, 04:05 PM   #1
treedesign
macrumors newbie

Windows 7 vs 8 with Fusion/Bootcamp?

I'm getting the 2013 iMac 2.9GHz. Which Windows is best to get? I'll be using it with either Bootcamp or VMware Fusion. Also, 32 bit or 64 bit?

I'm only a Mac user, so I won't miss any of the options that one has over the other. I'll be using Windows to test Powerpoint templates.

Thanks!
treedesign is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:49 PM   #2
lsh
macrumors member

I run Windows 8 (System builder license) 64 bit on my Macbook pro Retina.
I installed it under bootcamp but use VMware too because I have some less sophisticated windows programs that have some features that only work if I boot into windows.
But normally, using VMware to go back and forth is a much easier interface. If I didn't think I needed to boot into Windows, I'd just do a VMware install of windows 8.

So I think it depends on what you are planning to use Windows for as to whether or not you might want to boot into your computer as a windows PC.

As far as Win8 vs. Win7 - Win 8 is a nice release.
lsh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 05:53 PM   #3
tmagman
macrumors 6502

unless you're gaming, Parallels has been getting the better reviews on the latest releases, and head to head I much preferred parallels.

I installed Windows as a boot camp so that I can run native, then set up Parallels to simply access the existing bootcamp partition. You get both options then.
7D, 15-85, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 70-300 DO, 50 1.4, Lensbabies, Canon S100
tmagman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:34 AM   #4
uptownnyc
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmagman View Post
unless you're gaming, Parallels has been getting the better reviews on the latest releases, and head to head I much preferred parallels.

I installed Windows as a boot camp so that I can run native, then set up Parallels to simply access the existing bootcamp partition. You get both options then.
That's cool. I didn't realize you could use the same partition for Bootcamp and Parallels.
uptownnyc is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac