Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:38 AM   #1
Jdtwyo
macrumors newbie

iTunes Library on Multiple Drives

So I have a large Itunes library and I have exceeded my 2tb drive. I have made up my mind that I am going to buy a Synology but in the mean time. Can you put your itunes library across multiple drives. I.e Some movies on one drive, music on another, etc.

I have 4 external drives just sitting around that I would like to use until I can drop the cash on a synology.
Jdtwyo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:54 AM   #2
MarkG21
macrumors regular

sure can. Just make sure to uncheck copy files to itunes media folder in preferences advance tab. (if it's already checked)
MarkG21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 02:27 PM   #3
Billit
macrumors newbie

And the drives can be across multiple computers.
Billit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 03:14 PM   #4
SurfMacJpMtb
macrumors member

Yes, you can have multiple drives. I allow iTunes to organize my music but not my movies or TV shows. My video files are on another drive in multiple folders. When I import a movie or TV show I hold down the option key and the video file is not moved from the location I placed it. Hopefully that makes sense. The key is to hold the option key when importing files that you don't want iTunes to "organize".
Old Jan 24, 2013, 03:39 PM   #5
Pyromonkey83
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfMacJpMtb View Post
Yes, you can have multiple drives. I allow iTunes to organize my music but not my movies or TV shows. My video files are on another drive in multiple folders. When I import a movie or TV show I hold down the option key and the video file is not moved from the location I placed it. Hopefully that makes sense. The key is to hold the option key when importing files that you don't want iTunes to "organize".
You can either do it this way or uncheck the box in preferences that says "copy files to itunes folder" under advanced. This will also do it for music however, but when you rip music from a CD or buy from iTunes, it will automatically place it in your iTunes folder.

If you get music from other sources, you can also add the files normally from wherever, then select said files, right click them, and click "consolidate files" and it will move them to your iTunes folder like normal.
Pyromonkey83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:34 AM   #6
Jdtwyo
macrumors newbie

Thanks for the info. Im not sure why I didnt realize that. I currently have my entire library on a 2tb external. What do you think the best way to reorganize it all is? I have plenty of room on my main HDD to move all my Apps, Books, and Music to the main library. It's really my movies that I want to spread across multiple external drives.

Any tips for reorganizing would be really appreciated.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:41 AM   #7
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdtwyo View Post
So I have a large Itunes library and I have exceeded my 2tb drive. I have made up my mind that I am going to buy a Synology but in the mean time. Can you put your itunes library across multiple drives. I.e Some movies on one drive, music on another, etc.
Yes. How to split a single iTunes library over two or more media locations
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:03 PM   #8
Jdtwyo
macrumors newbie

THANKS.

Im a search dummy!
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:11 PM   #9
Phish311
macrumors regular

I would like to do this as well, however, with a number of movies or tv shows i add to itunes, the file name does not "clean up" until a consolidate. Is there a work around other than editing that myself. This happens mostly with m4v files
Phish311 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater