Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

k2skiman69

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
Chicago, IL
Hi All - new here. Apple user for a few years now.

Im looking to make a movie, with my iPad. The movie consists of photos, with music (of my choosing) in the background.

Would iMovie work good for this, or should i be looking at an alternative program.

I want to be able to add a title page (with text, and maybe photo background), add photos that show for a few seconds each, all playing to music.

I can of course do this on my windows computer, but why, when i can do it on my iPad (I hope).

I need to be able to get the movie onto a DVD to share with family as well.

Hope to get some good input. Thanks!

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
This is a pretty straight-forward task for iMovie. The only caveats are that the pictures reside in your iPad's camera roll (if you took the pics with your iPad, you're set, anything else takes a little fiddling, but doable), and the music is likewise accessible AND drm-free.

When you load an image, you can set the amount of time it shows, and also the start and end zoom & framing for the Ken Burns effect.

One little issue that might make you want to punch Apple in the face is that they do not provide a way to fade music in or out.

Regards,
Tom

k2skiman69

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
Chicago, IL
This is a pretty straight-forward task for iMovie. The only caveats are that the pictures reside in your iPad's camera roll (if you took the pics with your iPad, you're set, anything else takes a little fiddling, but doable), and the music is likewise accessible AND drm-free.

When you load an image, you can set the amount of time it shows, and also the start and end zoom & framing for the Ken Burns effect.

One little issue that might make you want to punch Apple in the face is that they do not provide a way to fade music in or out.

Regards,
Tom

Tom,

Thanks for the information...

So would i be able to add images from my photostream. I have some photos on my CPU, some on iPad, Some on iPhone, and some from family. What i was thinking is i gather all photos on my CPU, then throw them into a Photostream folder, which then gets them all in one folder on the iPad, and then import all from there.

Also, with iMovie, would it be easy to get the end result to a DVD via Windows CPU

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
Tom,

Thanks for the information...

So would i be able to add images from my photostream. I have some photos on my CPU, some on iPad, Some on iPhone, and some from family. What i was thinking is i gather all photos on my CPU, then throw them into a Photostream folder, which then gets them all in one folder on the iPad, and then import all from there.

Also, with iMovie, would it be easy to get the end result to a DVD via Windows CPU

I don't use photostream, but I guess that should work -- I misspoke originally when I said the photos need to be in your camera roll, they just need to be in your Photos app. I assume that photostream photos appear in the Photos app(?). Maybe someone else can confirm this.

Regarding making a DVD; the resulting movie will be h.264 encoded in a .mov container. I would think any respectable DVD writing software would be able to handle that, but I haven't done this myself.

Regards,
Tom

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.