Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alex225

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2012
My first iPod was a 6th gen Nano and I loved it, great capacity and a perfect size for a shirt pocket on a commute to work.

Sadly the power/track skip button on the top has given up on me and only just allows you to turn the thing on so it's be relegated to sitting on the the doc in the kitchen.

I have the new Nano on the way and I'm really looking forward to it. I find the iphone 4 and 5 just too bulky and even the new Nano is plenty slim enough for a shirt or trouser pocket. The lack of clip isn't much of an issue as I never clipped the old one to anything, although have my Shuffle for that.

I'm rather a fan of the new one but if my 6th hadn't played up I wouldn't be itching to replace it with the 7th.

samanthas

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2005
Portland, OR
On my silver iPod nano there is interlacing on the edge of the screen that look like the teeth of a comb. I have the same issue with my iPhone 5 and I'm really disappointed. Usually Apple's screens are really good and never disappointed me but this year they seem to be using another manufacturer.

Also, the iPod nano seems a bit slow. There was once where it showed the Apple logo after quitting from settings. It's like the whole device had to restart. Also, waking the device especially with the home button is really slow sometimes.

I have horizontal lines that seem to fade in and out. None of the stores around here have them on display and so it's hard to tell if this is just the screen or an issue.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I do wish I could listen to the radio feature without headphones, but instead through a bluetooth, such as a Jawbone.

My theory is that it's due to the battery life. Bluetooth takes a good chunk, and then the radio takes even a lot more (huge difference when you just listen to music on the iPod, versus a radio station on the radio app). They don't make a good pair. I use the radio feature a lot, but my battery doesn't last very long because of it.

76ShovelHead

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2010
Florida
My first iPod was a 6th gen Nano and I loved it, great capacity and a perfect size for a shirt pocket on a commute to work.

Sadly the power/track skip button on the top has given up on me and only just allows you to turn the thing on so it's be relegated to sitting on the the doc in the kitchen.

I have the new Nano on the way and I'm really looking forward to it. I find the iphone 4 and 5 just too bulky and even the new Nano is plenty slim enough for a shirt or trouser pocket. The lack of clip isn't much of an issue as I never clipped the old one to anything, although have my Shuffle for that.

I'm rather a fan of the new one but if my 6th hadn't played up I wouldn't be itching to replace it with the 7th.

I talked my mom into getting my sister a pink 6th gen, which arrived yesterday and she loves it. It was especially compelling to buy since she just bought a gym membership. I thought the functionality of the clip would be perfect.

Grinspoon

macrumors newbie
Sep 1, 2010
Some time has passed and I still don't really like this nano at all.

It's just annoying and awkward.

Honestly i figured out that double and triple clicking the middle of the volume changes the track.. However as the controls are so tiny and I'm a adult. You're always accidentally doing it while trying to change the volume.

I also swear it just randomly changes tracks sometime. Yes shake to shuffle is off.

It's still awkward. With the latest itunes update, I think I might be done with ipods. it's now just at a point where they're making things worse.

Last edited:

Alex225

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2012
I talked my mom into getting my sister a pink 6th gen, which arrived yesterday and she loves it. It was especially compelling to buy since she just bought a gym membership. I thought the functionality of the clip would be perfect.

I think the clip can be a decider for some people. It's not so much of a necessity for me as I used my Gen 6 and will use the 7 for commuting so top pocket only.

That said I recently bought a new Shuffle and the size of that is impressive, just a great package. It's basic but functional so can imagie that would be ideal for exercising whilst clipped to your person.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
I do wish I could listen to the radio feature without headphones, but instead through a bluetooth, such as a Jawbone.

My theory is that it's due to the battery life. Bluetooth takes a good chunk, and then the radio takes even a lot more (huge difference when you just listen to music on the iPod, versus a radio station on the radio app). They don't make a good pair. I use the radio feature a lot, but my battery doesn't last very long because of it.

IIRC, the headphone jack acts as the antenna for the radio, and therefore would have crap reception without a set plugged in. (At least, I'm pretty sure this was true for the previous generation, anyway. Could be wrong about this new one.)

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
IIRC, the headphone jack acts as the antenna for the radio, and therefore would have crap reception without a set plugged in. (At least, I'm pretty sure this was true for the previous generation, anyway. Could be wrong about this new one.)

Probably that too. But as far as I can tell, both the radio feature AND the bluetooth are huge battery drainers on this model. Put them together, and you get a MP3 player that only works for less than a hour on battery.

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
How we are supposed to train/run without a clip......? :(

Don't your workout shorts and pants have pockets?

Until a few weeks ago I've been jogging with an iPod Nano 3rd gen for the past five years by just putting it in my pocket.

(Tried the armband, didn't like it, felt like I was getting my blood pressure taken at the doctor's office).

macs4nw

macrumors 601
I think the nano lost it's place and IMO, it's too big. I bought the previous gen nano with the built in clip and it's the perfect size for clipping on my gym shorts for working out and/or running. I didn't see a built in clip on the new nano and the size just seems too big almost like they are trying to make it a mini iPod touch. I think if you want that experience, buy the touch but the nano (IMO) should have remained very small with built in clip. JMHO.:apple:

Somehow this 4 month old thread got resurrected.
Yes, I also liked the watch-faced (6th gen) Nano better, and was sorry to see they ditched the form factor.
It also might have gained traction as a possible Bluetooth enabled iPhone interface.

racoop

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2012
Don't your workout shorts and pants have pockets?

Until a few weeks ago I've been jogging with an iPod Nano 3rd gen for the past five years by just putting it in my pocket.

(Tried the armband, didn't like it, felt like I was getting my blood pressure taken at the doctor's office).

I gotta be securely clipped in. Uuugh! I hate things bouncing around loose anywhere down there when I run. My running shorts only have the little key pocket anyway.

TooLowToZero

macrumors newbie
Dec 29, 2012
Pick up a new Nano from our local supermarket today. Going to say good bye to the CD's in the car! Very impressed with this iPod and to my delight it has audio cross fading.

I have an iPhone 5 and iPad 4. Why is audio cross fading not available on my phone?

Prefer to use the iPod, rather than the phone as it save the battery. Wish it was 32gb, so I could fit all my iTunes music on it in one go, but not complaining as it's still a great little unit.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
In my opinion this was the best nano ever.

246588-apple-ipod-nano-5th-gen-with-video-recorder.jpg

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
2013-01-13%252016.09.02.jpg

2012-11-13%252012.37.56.jpg

2013-01-13%252016.06.50.jpg

I love mine - it gets more usage outside than either of my 5th Gen. Touches because of its pedometer and FM radio.

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
The complaint that I have on this iteration of the Nano deals with the Nike+ app.

I wish there was a way to have it ignore the buttons on the side of the Nano while it, and I are running. I've had a problem finding an adequate case for my Nano, and have started using a Nathan belt with a mesh pocket to hold it, and sometimes the volume button gets bumped and it interrupts the Nike+ app.

Anyone else found a decent case for this Nano, that works and isn't overly cheap and breakable? A clip would be nice...

Thanks.

pyrex

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2003
Too many button presses to get to where you want to on the screen. I would love the opportunity to be able to add artists, playlists, albums, now playing, etc as icons to the home screen as the only button I ever press is music. Followed by pressing another button within the music icon makes a MINIMUM of 5 clicks before choosing a new song. 7 if you have to press power button and return to the homescreen. There has to be a much more efficient way of doing this.

Another thing that takes a while to do is to rate songs, where as on my ipod nano 2nd gen and ipod 2g (nano still running strong, ipod has no battery life left so I use it as a firewire backup OS for mac) I could press the centre wheel a couple times and then scroll to rate, now I have to press the top right list icon when a song is playing and have to rate the song.

And why can't we have a play next feature like in the new iTunes 11?

I don't think this UI would have passed Steve Jobs.

racoop

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2012
Anyone else found a decent case for this Nano, that works and isn't overly cheap and breakable? A clip would be nice...
Thanks.

Got a rooCASE that seems pretty nice, along with screen protectors for around $20 from Amazon. Seems pretty well made and has a clip. Not much to say about a 3 gram piece of plastic. I like the 7G Nano. Way to much fuss here over a $150 music player, sheesh.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.