Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikefal33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2013
I have Parallels 8 running Windows 8 on my iMac and was wondering if I could use the Windows 8 feature and play the Windows only games on Steam? I also wanted to see of anyone had recomendations on backlit keyboards for my iMac.

ThirteenXIII

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2008
Saitek makes good backlit keyboards. and yes you can ultimatley play steam through Parallels but not recommended. best bet is to use bootcamp and play directly and take advantage of the native hardware in Windows

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
I just want to know if the Windows based games will download or if I can only play Mac Games.

If you fire Steam up through Windows in Parallels, it will download Windows games. ( I wouldn't recommend actually playing in Parallels though. )

mikefal33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2013
If you fire Steam up through Windows in Parallels, it will download Windows games. ( I wouldn't recommend actually playing in Parallels though. )

I did some research and I think I am going to dual boot Windows 7 now and upgrade to 8 later with Bootcamp. Thanks for the help.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
I did some research and I think I am going to dual boot Windows 7 now and upgrade to 8 later with Bootcamp. Thanks for the help.

Yep, definitely use Bootcamp if you want to play games. It is theoretically possible to play some games in Parallels but performance will not be nearly as good as Bootcamp.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
Just a little side tip: you can tell Parallels to use your bootcamp partition. So you can do your downloading and maintenance while in OS X and reboot only to actually play.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I made a thread on this, but depending on what games you play in Parallels, they actually run quite well. Torchlight 2 in 2560x1440p, for example, - 60fps. I need to test other games, but so far my experience has been pretty good. (2012 iMAC)

Absolutely Boot Camp all the way for games like Far Cry 3, but it depends on what you're playing, really.

Last edited:

mikefal33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2013
Just a little side tip: you can tell Parallels to use your bootcamp partition. So you can do your downloading and maintenance while in OS X and reboot only to actually play.

I am confused on what you mean. Do you mean to play the games in OS X or play them in Parallels? Can you just tell me a bit more.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I am confused on what you mean. Do you mean to play the games in OS X or play them in Parallels? Can you just tell me a bit more.

He means install Windows via Boot Camp. Then install Parallels and link it to your Boot Camp partition. Then you can run Parallels to download Steam games etc and run maintenance-y things while in OS X. And when you want to play, just reboot into Boot Camp proper.

mikefal33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2013
He means install Windows via Boot Camp. Then install Parallels and link it to your Boot Camp partition. Then you can run Parallels to download Steam games etc and run maintenance-y things while in OS X. And when you want to play, just reboot into Boot Camp proper.

Okay thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.