Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Sep 1, 2012, 05:53 PM   #26
kgingeri
macrumors newbie

2 step auth a problem maybe

All was working well for me before ML. But I did also change my gmail apps account to 2 step Authentication about the same time. I'm wondering if that is the problem?!
kgingeri is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2012, 05:57 PM   #27
stiwi
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiwi View Post
This may sounds funny but after installing Adobe Flash Player standalone version, Gmail web based notifications started to show up in NC

At least in Chrome, didn't check in Safari yet.
Just checked in Safari and it doesn't work.
Chrome works fine apparently after installing Flash Player...
The only issue is that as soon as the banner go away, it goes away from NC as well.
stiwi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2012, 07:11 PM   #28
kgingeri
macrumors newbie

still nothing

Quote:
Just checked in Safari and it doesn't work.
Chrome works fine apparently after installing Flash Player...
The only issue is that as soon as the banner go away, it goes away from NC as well.
Nope, no go here. Installed flash and still nothing. Maybe 2 step auth tho - not sure.

Just for the record as well, no Chrome add-ons or OSX apps have worked either - that I can find anyway.
I've also tried to use Safari, but clicking the link in Gmail Settings to enable desktop notification (just above the radio button selections of how to notify) doesn't do anything. In fact nothing shows up in Safari -> Prefs -> Notifications, ever either. See this image...or attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SafariNGmail.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	355478  
Old Sep 2, 2012, 12:26 PM   #29
kgingeri
macrumors newbie

Got my answer...

Found this today - in Google Auth settings (note the last line)...

Quote:
Some applications that work outside a browser aren't yet compatible with 2-step verification and cannot ask for verification codes, for example:
  • Mail on your iPhone
  • Email programs including Outlook, Apple Mail, or Thunderbird
  • Android smartphones or tablets
  • Google Sync via Exchange
  • Calendar sync
  • Google Notifier for Mac
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:13 PM   #30
robertbuzink
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji Bee Tech View Post
I've been using Gmail Notifr for some years now, I've gotten so used to having it installed, when it broke in 10.8 I realised my whole workflow came to a halt.
I think the app 'Mail viewer for gmail' provides just the functionality you want. You can find it in the app store. The price is a steep 8 euros, so i have not tried it. If you do, let me know what you think of it
robertbuzink is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:38 AM   #31
stiwi
macrumors regular

I am using MailTab Pro for Gmail for $1.99 and it's great. No more need to have browser open since it has mobile / desktop mode.
stiwi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 2014, 10:13 AM   #32
virtualbartek
macrumors newbie

Quote:
I am using MailTab Pro for Gmail for $1.99 and it's great. No more need to have browser open since it has mobile / desktop mode.
MailTab free version is great too if all you want is an alert. My alerts are working in the notification center, but for some reason the sound stopped working from the app when I upgraded to Mavericks. Notification center is set to make a sound but doesn't, and Mailtab is set to make a sound but doesn't. This is pretty annoying. Anybody have an idea about this?

Thanks,
VL
virtualbartek is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion