Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AABirdy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
I would like to digitally record meetings and then have the recording transcribed into printable text. It has been suggested that I use iMovie to do the recording (ignoring the video) and Dragon for transcription. From a brief review of the files produced by iMovie I do not see any formats that Dragon could import, thus iMovie is IMJ not appropriate for this purpose; I would need sw dedicated to audio recording.

Dave Braine

macrumors 68040
Mar 19, 2008
Warrington, UK
Which formats are suitable for Dragon? You could always Share from iMovie to Garageband, which splits the video and audio, delete the video and then Share the audio to iTunes.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
I have not used the product, but you probably need MacSpeech Scribe, as that is designed to be used with Audio Media. One problem is all of the dragon products including MacSpeech scribe are designed to be used with one voice at a time, as the software uses a leaning mode to fine tune the audio / text conversion. They do specifically say that all their products do not work that well to transcribe meetings were more than one person is speaking. If you only need to capture audio you are better off using garageband rather than iMovie. Garageband can output in a variety of audio formats.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.