Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikefal33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2013
Can I use a Mini Display Port to HDMI to put the Xbox video on my iMac display? I don't need audio and video because I have a headset for it.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
No target display mode.
2011 and 2012 iMacs have target display mode, but only when connected to another computer with Thunderbolt.

Incorrect. MiniDP and Thunderbolt are one and the same (in this particular scenario).

There is a distinction. 2009 and 2010 27" iMacs can accept video via a Mini-Displayport adapter (like the Kanex XD). 2011 and 2012 iMacs can accept video in but only as a Thunderbolt signal.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Incorrect. MiniDP and Thunderbolt are one and the same (in this particular scenario).

Physically the two are the same, but the 2012 iMac does not accept DVI compatible signals via the video port, only Thunderbolt signals. The 2012 iMac does have Target Display Mode, but can act as a display only for other Thunderbolt Macs just like the 2011 iMac. The 2009 and 2010 27" iMacs can act as a display for any device that outputs DVI compatible signals.

mikefal33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2013
Physically the two are the same, but the 2012 iMac does not accept DVI compatible signals via the video port, only Thunderbolt signals. The 2012 iMac does have Target Display Mode, but can act as a display only for other Thunderbolt Macs just like the 2011 iMac. The 2009 and 2010 27" iMacs can act as a display for any device that outputs DVI compatible signals.

No even if it is HDMI to the thunderbolt port.

bungiefan89

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2011
No, they aren't the same signals. The 2011/2012 only take Thunderbolt signals from other Macs. Nothing else. And no adapters exist.
Which is exactly why I hate Apple for not growing a brain and just slapping an HDMI port on the back of their 27" computer screens.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
Can I use a Mini Display Port to HDMI to put the Xbox video on my iMac display? I don't need audio and video because I have a headset for it.

No, but you could try video capture or game capture devices that would work to play games on your Mac. It would rely on usb connectivity, but I think it performs better than expected.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
No, but you could try video capture or game capture devices that would work to play games on your Mac. It would rely on usb connectivity, but I think it performs better than expected.

I've played games with an EyeTV Hybrid before. Works really well, little to no noticeable lag.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
I've played games with an EyeTV Hybrid before. Works really well, little to no noticeable lag.

I thought buying the actual HD capture device with my 20" iMac and my PS3, but I never got to play anyway due to being a full-time student and stay-at-home dad. I was really tempted though.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I have an EyeTV Hybrid too. Don't get what you're doing. Please explain.

Plug EyeTV Hybrid into iMac, plug in the breakout cable into EyeTV, plug GameCube/Playstation/Xbox/whatever into EyeTV, turn off recording and timeshifting, play game.

FFabian

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2010
Bochum, Germany
Plug EyeTV Hybrid into iMac, plug in the breakout cable into EyeTV, plug GameCube/Playstation/Xbox/whatever into EyeTV, turn off recording and timeshifting, play game.

Thanks. "Console with iMac as Display" is a question that is asked very often but I never read of this solution before.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Thanks. "Console with iMac as Display" is a question that is asked very often but I never read of this solution before.

I wouldn't count on any acceptable input lag with that solution, though I admit I've never personally tried it. Just from what I read.... not so good!

With the analog setup it might be fine, but not digitally. So games will look pretty darn awful.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I wouldn't count on any acceptable input lag with that solution, though I admit I've never personally tried it. Just from what I read.... not so good!

With the analog setup it might be fine, but not digitally. So games will look pretty darn awful.

Unless you've personally tried it, don't claim it as being not good. There is very little to no lag. And if one uses the Eyetv 250 or whatever the non-Hybrid one is called, you can reduce the already inperceivable amount of lag even more. While the yellow RCA video doesn't look very nice, S-Video and RGB look very nice when stretched to fill a full iMac screen.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Unless you've personally tried it, don't claim it as being not good. There is very little to no lag. And if one uses the Eyetv 250 or whatever the non-Hybrid one is called, you can reduce the already inperceivable amount of lag even more. While the yellow RCA video doesn't look very nice, S-Video and RGB look very nice when stretched to fill a full iMac screen.

I didn't claim anything. I did say "from what I read."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.