Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DBZmusicboy01

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
future of the iPhone ?
Does this mean there will never be a contract free iPhone ?
and what will happen to subsidy and things like that.

docprego

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2007
Henderson, NV
I don't believe this legislation affects unsubsidized devices. The unlocked iPhone sold by apple at full price for example will still be available.

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
except it's virtually impossible to unlock the iPhone unless your preserved your very old baseband via tinyumbrella.

New holes are always discovered. However, they are not burned because no unlock is issued since we have had over 6 months to unlock iPhones the true way with a relative *very* minimal risk and symbolic charge for such service ($20 bucks for permanent unlock)

moldy lunchbox

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2010
Sunny California
I'm not sure what will happen to the online unlocking services. But the only thing illegal will be if you purchase an iPhone this Saturday or later under contract and unlock it. If you've bought you're device on contract before Jan 26th then you're allowed to do now or whenever you want. And you can still purchase a factory unlocked device at the Apple Store.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
One thing this does strengthen is than mobile carriers will be able to prevent unlocked phones from operating on their network. So yes, you can pay full price for an iPhone and get it unlocked, but you may not be able to use it anywhere. If that is the case, why would apple build an unlocked iphone for US carriers in the future?

macingman

macrumors 68020
Jan 2, 2011
future of the iPhone ?
Does this mean there will never be a contract free iPhone ?
and what will happen to subsidy and things like that.

Nothing. You just won't be able to use the non carrier unlocking services like from eBay etc.

The legislation really means nothing.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
One thing this does strengthen is than mobile carriers will be able to prevent unlocked phones from operating on their network. So yes, you can pay full price for an iPhone and get it unlocked, but you may not be able to use it anywhere. If that is the case, why would apple build an unlocked iphone for US carriers in the future?

That doesnt make any sense.

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
Where did you hear that unlocking phones is illegal? eBay is just not allowing unlock services to be sold on their site. There are plenty of legit unlocking services that have their own site where you can purchase an unlock.

Bob Coxner

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
So you're saying that AT&T wont allow any unlocked devices on their network. Just ones sold locked to them? I dont see it happening, GSM in its nature is an open standard. You pop in a sim and you're good.

That is true now, but what about in the future with simless GSM phones? The sim will disappear.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
I really hope not.
I love the ease of use of sims even though I have to use sim adapters sometimes:)
Of course, either way, this law prevents unlocking in US. Doesn't prevent one from unlocking device outside of US, or using a company "outside" of US.

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
There's a lot of misinformation in both this and the original thread. This new legislation really doesn't do much of anything.

Unlocking is not being made illegal. Unauthorized unlocking is being made illegal:
  • Buy a full-priced, unsubsidized phone... it's unlocked.
  • Buy subsidized, fulfill your contract... and you can have your phone unlocked by your provider.
  • Cancel your contract on a subsidized phone to move to a new carrier, pay the early termination fee... and you can have your phone unlocked by your current provider.
The only people this new legislation affects are those with subsidized phones under contract who want to unlock outside official channels. Even that restriction is going to be difficult to enforce.

I don't understand why everyone's getting all butthurt over this.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
As stated above, this makes unauthorized unlocking (like ebay) illegal. Do it through your carrier on their terms, you're fine.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
One thing that will likely result from this, is currently unlocked iPhones will probably increase in resale value a bit. Not everyone can easily get their carrier to authorize an unlock.

racer1441

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2009
Another law designed to make companies feel less butt hurt but actually means jack squat.

My only fear is that some kid unlocks his phone and they use this law to 'make an example' of him or her.

vistadude

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2010
If only carriers can unlock subsidized phones, and carriers decide not to certain phones such as exclusives, does that effectively mean that some phones can never be legally unlocked?

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
New holes are always discovered. However, they are not burned because no unlock is issued since we have had over 6 months to unlock iPhones the true way with a relative *very* minimal risk and symbolic charge for such service ($20 bucks for permanent unlock)

Not necessarily.

They have been historically yes, but if there is no exploitable hole to find, it will not be found.

If it is hard to find and exists, it still may take longer than the device's lifetime to exploit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.