Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

flavr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2011
Hey all,

I was in the iPad forum and somebody commented how an ipod touch is $299, only $30 less than the iPad mini. I thought, no way...so i checked on Apples website and its true. So I thought, why would anybody not spend the extra $30 and get the iPad mini...so who better to ask than actual iPod owners :) so Im curious, why the iPod over the iPad mini?

salas2324

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2012
Don't forget the taxes :) so it's 50+.
And don't forget the specs.
And an iPad isn't as portable.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
Yeah, the iPad Mini is really just a ... tablet. Not an iPod.
Plus, all of the 'latest' technology is in the new iPod with the added benefits of twice the amount of space.

If you need a tablet, then sure it's great. But if you're looking for something really portable, like an iPod, then just get an iPod.

flavr

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 9, 2011
Don't forget the taxes :) so it's 50+.
And don't forget the specs.
And an iPad isn't as portable.

you still have to pay tax on $299 so its just tax on $30, so around $3 extra in taxes at the most. They have the exact same processor and RAM...

salas2324

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2012
you still have to pay tax on $299 so its just tax on $30, so around $3 extra in taxes at the most. They have the exact same processor and RAM...

You're right I forgot about taxes on the iPod. And look at all the specs.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
Also note that the 299$ iPod touch is the fifth gen in 32gb capacity. Also you can still get a 4th gen ipod touch 8gb from 199$.

The iPad mini at 329$ is for the 16gb model.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
The iPad mini isn't very compact for say, working out or sticking in my car's center console.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
People who has smartphone would not find Touch 5th gen at this price very persuasive. If you just need portable MP3 player, at 199 you can get 4th gen 16GB (a very good deal in my opinion)

Ipad mini, unfortunately, is very portable. U see people carry Ipad around and Ipad mini is smaller and lighter. It absolutely killing the sales of ipod 5.

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
Well I for one would not buy an iPad mini and strap it to my arm and go running. Neither would I be typing this on an iPod touch, even if it had a 4" screen. I can say that the same thought has occurred to me, that they are very close in price, but they don't really substitute for each other practically. I've had a mini for about a month now and have used it for listening to music exactly once, and that was with Pandora. My iPhone I use mostly as an iPod and my mini as ... Well, a tablet computer. It really boils down to how one will use the device.

Last edited:

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
Hey all,

I was in the iPad forum and somebody commented how an ipod touch is $299, only $30 less than the iPad mini. I thought, no way...so i checked on Apples website and its true. So I thought, why would anybody not spend the extra $30 and get the iPad mini...so who better to ask than actual iPod owners :) so Im curious, why the iPod over the iPad mini?

Size. The iPod fits comfortably in my pocket.

Gaelic2

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2007
Mountains of N. California
When traveling, I can pull out my IPT and take photographs, or find out what something costs in dollars instead of the currency of the country where I am. I can also find a phrase to use in the language of the country. I can listen to music as well, all on a device that fits nicely in my shirt pocket.
Then I can go back to my room and write out e-mails with photos I've just taken on my iPodTouch, all on my iPad. Their usage overlaps quite well for me.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
If you just need portable MP3 player, at 199 you can get 4th gen 16GB (a very good deal in my opinion)

How is this a good deal the fourth gen ipod touch hasn't changed since 2010 and was originally priced at 199$.

guitarmandp

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2012
As far as running goes I think the iPod nano would make a better choice for working out.

I think the iPod touch is a nice MP3 player to have if you want to keep it in an iHome or Bose Sounddock while you aren't tying up your phone and you want access to features like Home Sharing and iTunes Match as well as apps like Spotify, Pandora, and SiriusXM.

They make docks for iPads but not very many. So right there that is the main benefit of an iPod touch in my opinion.

You are getting twice the amount of storage for $30 less, and the screen on the iPod touch I believe is higher quality than the mini.

To sum it up if you are mostly going to listen to music on a docking station I think that is where the iPod touch excels.

If you are going to do a lot of email and surfing the web and shopping than I'd go with the iPad mini.

Ffosse

macrumors 68000
Nov 5, 2012
I consider the iPod Touch better value than the iPad Mini.

It's the screen, really, no way would I want the Mini.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Because not everybody wants to carry around a 7.9 inch slab of metal when you can fit something with the exact same specs and twice the storage into your pocket.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
The iPad Mini is using specs from the iPad 2 which came out a while ago IIRC. I thought the new iPod had a better processor and possibly more RAM.

Nope the new ipod touch uses essentially the iphone 4s internals, minus the gps, light sensor and a few other sensors.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
How is this a good deal the fourth gen ipod touch hasn't changed since 2010 and was originally priced at 199$.

Please check update info more carefully before replying to comment.

4th gen 16GB was introduced in 2012 as replacement of 8GB which was priced down to USD199 in 2011 when they introduced the white version.

Ray Brady

macrumors 6502
Dec 21, 2011
I bought the iPod Touch because it's the size I want for a device of this kind. It fits in my shirt pocket, so I can take it with me wherever I go, without even thinking about it.

The iPad Mini is nice, but I could really only see myself using it while traveling.

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
Please check update info more carefully before replying to comment.

4th gen 16GB was introduced in 2012 as replacement of 8GB which was priced down to USD199 in 2011 when they introduced the white version.

Please read the comments carefully you're the third person to reply to my post.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.