Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

IPadNParadise

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
And I am brand new to Macs and very nervous. It is a refurbished macbook pro 13" standard specs June 2012. It will come with Lion. Since I am so afraid I will screw this up with ths first time use, I would like to chek the order of the steps I plan:

Go thru setup and establish network connection
Get redemption code for upgrade
Get from Mac App Store and hit install

My question is - should I check in the Apple Menu to see if there are any updates (software?) there before I start the Mountain Liin upgrade, should I check there after a successful (praying there) install or will the ML upgrade take care of all necessary ugrades, all in one so to speak.

Thank you for any help you can give this non tech newbie. I do plan on getting some type of device very soon for backup.

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
And I am brand new to Macs and very nervous. It is a refurbished macbook pro 13" standard specs June 2012. It will come with Lion. Since I am so afraid I will screw this up with ths first time use, I would like to chek the order of the steps I plan:

Go thru setup and establish network connection
Get redemption code for upgrade
Get from Mac App Store and hit install

My question is - should I check in the Apple Menu to see if there are any updates (software?) there before I start the Mountain Liin upgrade, should I check there after a successful (praying there) install or will the ML upgrade take care of all necessary ugrades, all in one so to speak.

Thank you for any help you can give this non tech newbie. I do plan on getting some type of device very soon for backup.

If you bought it from Apple, then it'll likely have Mountain Lion on it when it arrives. I say this because I bought a Refurb 13" MBP from them recently and it came with ML. There were some updates waiting when I first fired it up but I didn't have to go through the whole OS X Mountain Lion Up-to-Date Program business.

IPadNParadise

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 12, 2013
Oh, that would be wonderful! Ones less stressful thing for this newbie. I was just going by what it said on the online product description of the one I ordered. Tracking this morning shows out for delivery! I am so excited. Thank you.

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
Oh, that would be wonderful! Ones less stressful thing for this newbie. I was just going by what it said on the online product description of the one I ordered. Tracking this morning shows out for delivery! I am so excited. Thank you.

You're welcome! "Excited" sounds about right to me! Enjoy!

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
It will likely arrive with Mt. Lion pre-installed and you may get other surprises as well. Mine was listed as having a 5400RPM drive and it was actually 7200RPM. Enjoy your Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.