Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
People like you are why this forum is going down hill, why do you visit an apple forum if you hate it so much and want it to fail?

Here we go with this nonsense again.

If only there was a filter here to get hide posts that begin with "people like you." They are always pointless.

Michael
Posted from my iPad

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
Here we go with this nonsense again.

If only there was a filter here to get hide posts that begin with "people like you." They are always pointless.

Michael
Posted from my iPad

Ok then here is some better wording, members with an attitude like yours....

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
Agreed, record profits and sales mean nothing, Apple is doomed this year :rolleyes:

When did he say they are doomed? He simply echoed the sentiment of a lot of people on the internet and the financial world saying the period of explosive growth of Apple seems to be over. Also good job bringing up record profits... Apple has always posted record profits but I will let you do the digging on determining why these record profits are so different than any other record profits in their history. Hint: It is less than $100 million.

Funny, after months on this board the only people I ever see using "Apple" and "Doomed" in the same post are the people rabidly claiming other people claim Apple is doomed. :rolleyes:

----------

Ok then here is some better wording, members with an attitude like yours....

So first off, he posts about wanting something better from Apple and how he will not vote with his wallet until he sees this from Apple. You know being an open critic of a company you like instead of being a blind consumer.

Then he sees through the BS of the Arm Chair Power Brokers on this site when it comes to earnings and the actual content of the calls. Also he tries to enlighten people that it isn't all butterflies and roses and you shouldn't just "Buy now while it's cheap" like so many others on this site have been spouting lately. Seriously people have been exclaiming that Apple is cheap and you should get in now at a discount the entire ride down from $705...

Yet you say his attitude is not welcome here. Well... I just do not know what to say to that.

mobilebuddha

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2008
People like you are why this forum is going down hill. People like Michael (and myself included) want Apple to succeed and provide criticisms and stimulate discussions in this forum (and probably others) when Apple isn't doing well. We feel hurt not because Apple isn't doing well, but because Apple isn't doing well AND has the potential to do SO MUCH BETTER.

In the last couple of years, Apple has stopped taking risks on design and new products, started blaming other people (supply constraint) for it missing expectations.

When did people start hating wall street analysts? Did you see people complain about sky high expectations back in 2009? 2010? 2011? No, it's when Apple finally started to consistently miss estimates that people started complaining.

You know what I equate Apple's mobile products to? Motorola's original RAZR line in early 2000's. That line of phones was so popular that Motorola only made marginal improvements to the phone. Apple is capable of doing so much more and yet they have chosen to stay safe and in the process, run the risk of becoming obsolete in the market segment that they revolutionized & transformed.

Wake up, Apple!

People like you are why this forum is going down hill, why do you visit an apple forum if you hate it so much and want it to fail?

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
So first off, he posts about wanting something better from Apple and how he will not vote with his wallet until he sees this from Apple. You know being an open critic of a company you like instead of being a blind consumer.

Then he sees through the BS of the Arm Chair Power Brokers on this site when it comes to earnings and the actual content of the calls. Also he tries to enlighten people that it isn't all butterflies and roses and you shouldn't just "Buy now while it's cheap" like so many others on this site have been spouting lately. Seriously people have been exclaiming that Apple is cheap and you should get in now at a discount the entire ride down from $705...

Yet you say his attitude is not welcome here. Well... I just do not know what to say to that.

I love that there are only these two options.....

What about those of us who genuinely like our Apple products, and while we are excited/hopeful for new features and advancements, we don't feel the need to foam at the mouth and criticize Apple for perceived shortcomings.

As long as Apple is around, there will be haters, those who criticize, those who say Apple will fail - that's the nature of it. The same things were said after the 4S and before that.....

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona

What about those of us who genuinely like our Apple products, and while we are excited/hopeful for new features and advancements, we don't feel the need to foam at the mouth and criticize Apple for perceived shortcomings.

As long as Apple is around, there will be haters, those who criticize, those who say Apple will fail - that's the nature of it. The same things were said after the 4S and before that.....
Nobody here criticizing Apple is foaming at the mouth. For you to suggest such a thing is really nothing more than being a bit thin-skinned over anything that you perceive as negative about Apple.

The only people I see getting overly emotional are those who have some sort of need to defend Apple.

As for me, I see 2010 as an innovative year for the current Apple. That was the year the iPad was released. That was the year of the iPhone 4. That was the year of the current Macbook Air design. It is now 2013 and each of those have mostly gone unchanged.

When I look at my current phones, a Note 2 and Nexus 4, I can't help but think, "it didn't have to be this way."

Moreover, no one is asking to take whatever it is you like now away. There is no reason Apple can't, for example, keep a 4" iPhone and a 5" iPhone. But if the only thing Apple has to offer are to people who cling to the older designs they won't have the same market to sell into (eventually).

Finally, there is clear evidence that Apple must, in fact, listen: the very existence of the iPad mini shows that. The market was clamoring for a smaller tablet and Apple had no choice but to respond. But this time they were following not leading. The margins on the mini are not at Apple's normal levels and it is one reason for the negativism in the market towards them right now. They are taking a hit on profit due to that. On the other hand they might be worse off had they taken your approach and said that all was fine the way it is and continued to offer only the full size iPad.

I would prefer they get back to leading.

Michael

Last edited:

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012

When did I say those were the only options? Also who is foaming at the mouth here? Looks to me like people are making suggestions on ways Apple could make a device better in their eyes.

Apple has made two moves lately implying that they are listening to criticism and following the market. We all know them as the iPad Mini and the iPhone 5's larger screen.

Last edited:

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
When did I say those were the only options? Also who is foaming at the mouth here? Looks to me like people are making suggestions on ways Apple could make a device better in their eyes.

Apple has made two moves lately implying that they are listening to criticism and following the market. We all know them as the iPad Mini and the iPhone 5's larger screen.

While I'm sure there was some degree of market push, these products were likely in the pipeline for a few years before release.....the notion that Apple released a smaller tablet in response to, say the Nexus 7 is a bit derivative. Now could they have decided to time it that way? Sure. But to think Apple execs were in a room saying, "Man, people want bigger screens on phones and smaller ones on tablets" even as late as 2011 is a little far fetched.

I guess I just don't get the draw to a phone that dramatically changes every year. And while I'd be fine with Apple offering other options (so long as they stay true to their strategies and model), I'm also not clamoring for them to do something drastic - and by the looks of their last quarter earnings, I don't think they really need to.

That being said, I think 2013 is going to be a big year for all of these companies - hopefully people will begin to recognize more than the cosmetic changes that are made to both the hardware and software, and instead of looking for something to simply change or be different simply for change sake or because you're bored, people actually realize what goes into these devices (the iPhone 5 included) and how fast the tech has improved.

Aside from changing screen sizes (which isn't innovation by the way), I don't see hardware being where innovation happens - it'll be in software where the big leaps will happen over the next few years (with the new tech we already know about - IGZO, NFC perhaps fingerprint readers - being added bonuses on the hardware side).

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
Aside from changing screen sizes (which isn't innovation by the way), I don't see hardware being where innovation happens - it'll be in software where the big leaps will happen over the next few years (with the new tech we already know about - IGZO, NFC perhaps fingerprint readers - being added bonuses on the hardware side).

Fingerprint reader has been done (Atrix). I agree with you in that the next innovations will likely be software related. I think Samsung realizes this, and is ahead of the curve in this aspect (see multiwindow). I also think there are strides to be made regarding battery life too. I'd like to see some new technologies employed in the battery area.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
While I'm sure there was some degree of market push, these products were likely in the pipeline for a few years before release.....the notion that Apple released a smaller tablet in response to, say the Nexus 7 is a bit derivative.
Derivative? No idea where that came from but it is a non sequitur at best.

Lots of products are in the pipeline for a few years in advance but in Apple's case they were against smaller tablets. Then suddenly there is the iPad mini. Let's not be naive: if there was not an onslaught of 7" tablets that would not be happening. And this is coming from someone who thinks the iPad mini is the best of the mid-size tablets.

Apple should be leading and not following and that is not something to defend.

Michael

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Good lord stop reading the front page here for ridiculous feel-good news.

As of this moment searching for news about Apple shows a much different picture than the absurd spin put on it here.

It's just as I suspected: this is the year the shine comes off the Apple.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2013/01/23/apple-netflix-google-ibm/1859337/

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/24/technology/apple-earnings.html

http://www.forbes.com/sites/greatsp...nd-the-beauty-apple-and-netflix-switch-roles/

Michael

Who's putting an absurd spin? You mean the links you've posted?

From your own link:
Apple "selling 28 percent more iPhones and 48 percent more iPads"

Your spin is that Apple is doom because Apple is selling more iPhones and iPads than ever?

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Apple is DOOM.

Record number of iPhones and iPads sold in Q1 2013. Record quarterly profit of $13.1 billion.

Only a record of 47.8 million iPhones sold in one quarter. iPhone sales were a record 47.8m compared to 37.04m iPhones a year ago. See, no one wants an iPhone 5. :D

130123094102-apple-iphone-earnings-monster.jpg

iPhone_and_iPad_sales.png

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011
When did he say they are doomed? He simply echoed the sentiment of a lot of people on the internet and the financial world saying the period of explosive growth of Apple seems to be over. Also good job bringing up record profits... Apple has always posted record profits but I will let you do the digging on determining why these record profits are so different than any other record profits in their history. Hint: It is less than $100 million.

Funny, after months on this board the only people I ever see using "Apple" and "Doomed" in the same post are the people rabidly claiming other people claim Apple is doomed. :rolleyes:

----------

First off get off your high horse i am not a blind consumer i havent bought a new iDevice in a while because i am very interested in geting an Nexus 4 but they are not available in my country yet. Oh but wait you know me and what i buy and i am a blind consumer so thats not posible. :rolleyes:
People like you are why this forum is going down hill. People like Michael (and myself included) want Apple to succeed and provide criticisms and stimulate discussions in this forum (and probably others) when Apple isn't doing well. We feel hurt not because Apple isn't doing well, but because Apple isn't doing well AND has the potential to do SO MUCH BETTER.

In the last couple of years, Apple has stopped taking risks on design and new products, started blaming other people (supply constraint) for it missing expectations.

When did people start hating wall street analysts? Did you see people complain about sky high expectations back in 2009? 2010? 2011? No, it's when Apple finally started to consistently miss estimates that people started complaining.

You know what I equate Apple's mobile products to? Motorola's original RAZR line in early 2000's. That line of phones was so popular that Motorola only made marginal improvements to the phone. Apple is capable of doing so much more and yet they have chosen to stay safe and in the process, run the risk of becoming obsolete in the market segment that they revolutionized & transformed.

Wake up, Apple!
Complaining about an estimate doesn't make much sense because well its an estimate, and when has Apple ever come out with amazing all they do is take current technology that is around and stuff that other people have already done and give it the usual Apple polish and marketing spin. Also a company can't come out with something noteworthy constantly the iPad just came out 2 years ago. Give it time.

Last edited:

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
and when has Apple ever come out with amazing all they do is take current technology that is around and stuff that other people have already done and give it the usual Apple polish and marketing spin. Also a company can't come out with something noteworthy constantly the iPad just came out 2 years ago. Give it time.

I agree with this, the problem was that when Apple did it properly it was so good that it became a completely new item, it was so far detached from the technology that they had enhanced that it became the "first" in many's view (me included), the iPad is the prime example. I still, to some extent expect Apple to come out with some wow factor device every time they reveal their newest incarnations, I know that it is not possible every year. I still can't help thinking though that that the new iPhone to be released next year will be the game changer. Until then I am more than happy with my Nexus 4 and SGS3 enhanced with my iPad mini and MBP. :)

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Apple is DOOM.

Record number of iPhones and iPads sold in Q1 2013. Record quarterly profit of $13.1 billion.

Only a record of 47.8 million iPhones sold in one quarter. iPhone sales were a record 47.8m compared to 37.04m iPhones a year ago. See, no one wants an iPhone 5. :D

This is like watching the band playing on the Titanic as if nothing was wrong.

It's particularly ironic the day after Apple had its biggest drop in 4 years. Not some sort of "this is usual after the holidays" mantra. Not a "people always say this" kind of thing. But a bona fide drop unsurpassed since 2009. Except in 2009 things were bad in general. This time the S&P 500 is on its longest winning streak since 2006, despite Apple. Spin it any way you want, this is not good news.

Apple Stock Suffers Worst Day In More Than Four Years
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/24/apple-stock-worst-day_n_2545227.html?utm_hp_ref=tw

And the band played on...

Michael

AQUADock

macrumors 65816
Mar 20, 2011

It's particularly ironic the day after Apple had its biggest drop in 4 years. Not some sort of "this is usual after the holidays" mantra. Not a "people always say this" kind of thing. But a bona fide drop unsurpassed since 2009. Except in 2009 things were bad in general. This time the S&P 500 is on its longest winning streak since 2006, despite Apple. Spin it any way you want, this is not good news.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/24/apple-stock-worst-day_n_2545227.html?utm_hp_ref=tw

Michael
I don't understand the stock market, apple is selling in record numbers but you wouldn't think that looking at the stock. What exactly do investors want? Apple can't grow exponentially constantly.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I don't understand the stock market, apple is selling in record numbers but you wouldn't think that looking at the stock. What exactly do investors want? Apple can't grow exponentially constantly.

In laymans terms it's basically based on prediction or lack of assurity. Holders will sell not being sure if price will go higher anytime soon, so dump before price lowers too much. And buyers will start asking at a lower price with hopes about cashing in on what the sellers can't gain at the moment(meaning price should go back up in their eyes).

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX

Michael

You can either judge a company's success by concrete numbers like profits and revenue or by analyst-manipulated stock prices.....

Personally, I see the fact that Apple's cash reserves grew to $130B+ and they made record profits and revenue as a sign they are doing just fine and will continue to do fine.....

Let's not pretend to think we know exactly what Apple will do. Sure Jobs was against 7" tablets, but emails were leaked that showed he had changed his mind before the mini ever came out. People are allowed to do that....

Did we expect the iPhone when it was first launched? No. The biggest leaps/innovations are never expected and are therefore innovations. I'm willing to bet Apple still has it in them to innovate - and I believe they will.

And even if they don't THIS year - they are still selling more iOS devices than ever before and are still growing - take this for instance, Apple made almost three times more money last quarter than Amazon has EVER made....

Something absolutely monumental would have to happen for Apple to go under....something a lot more concrete than missing ridiculous analyst expectations and having your stock price fall...

Zaft

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
This is like watching the band playing on the Titanic as if nothing was wrong.It's particularly ironic the day after Apple had its biggest drop in 4 years. Not some sort of "this is usual after the holidays" mantra. Not a "people always say this" kind of thing. But a bona fide drop unsurpassed since 2009. Except in 2009 things were bad in general. This time the S&P 500 is on its longest winning streak since 2006, despite Apple. Spin it any way you want, this is not good news.

Michael

Difference is the titanic was going to sink 100%. you have no idea what apple will be in 5 years.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007

Michael

Not sure what reality you live in. I guess you don't like FACTS, but like the SPIN that Apple is DOOM.

You seem to be trolling. Nothing more.

FACT: iPhone sales were a record 47.8m compared to 37.04m iPhones to the same quarter last year. 29% increase from same quarter last year.
SPIN: Apple is DOOM. No one wants iPhones.

FACT: iPad sales were a record 22.9m compared to 15.4m iPads to the same quarter last year. 60% increase from same quarter last year.
SPIN: Apple is DOOM. No one wants iPads.

FACT: Record quarterly profit of $13.1 billion and record revenue of $54.5 billion.
SPIN: Apple is DOOM. Apple should have made $20 billion, trillion, gazillion dollars a quarter on revenue of $100 billion, trillion, gazillion dollars.

appleq113-total-rev-100022787-large.png

appleq113-iphone-units-100022783-large.png

appleq113-ipad-units-100022789-large.png

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
First off get off your high horse i am not a blind consumer i havent bought a new iDevice in a while because i am very interested in geting an Nexus 4 but they are not available in my country yet. Oh but wait you know me and what i buy and i am a blind consumer so thats not posible. :rolleyes:

You sure got me there... no wait you didn't because I never called you a blind consumer.

Stay frosty :cool:

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
You can either judge a company's success by concrete numbers like profits and revenue or by analyst-manipulated stock prices.....

Personally, I see the fact that Apple's cash reserves grew to $130B+ and they made record profits and revenue as a sign they are doing just fine and will continue to do fine.....

Let's not pretend to think we know exactly what Apple will do. Sure Jobs was against 7" tablets, but emails were leaked that showed he had changed his mind before the mini ever came out. People are allowed to do that....

Did we expect the iPhone when it was first launched? No. The biggest leaps/innovations are never expected and are therefore innovations. I'm willing to bet Apple still has it in them to innovate - and I believe they will.

And even if they don't THIS year - they are still selling more iOS devices than ever before and are still growing - take this for instance, Apple made almost three times more money last quarter than Amazon has EVER made....

Something absolutely monumental would have to happen for Apple to go under....something a lot more concrete than missing ridiculous analyst expectations and having your stock price fall...

Its unfair to say the stock prices are only manipulated by the analysts. The prices soared because their huge growth prospects, when the company growth sputters and begins to flatten out the price people were willing to pay for the company shares goes down. So yes while big reports from big names can influence it and scare the overly emotional causing a sell off it is not the only thing that effects the prices.

Again, I do not think anyone here with an ounce of intelligence believes Apple is going under. Instead their growth is slowing to the point where it is almost stopping due to a number of factors. No one was saying Microsoft was absolutely doomed when they went from Growth to Mature and just started printing money with a set of cash cows.

We all know Apple is going to keep making money and with their assets they can keep themselves afloat in the instance that something catastrophic happens (Meteor blows up Foxconn facility) They just might start making less and their days of growth may be over.

Lastly, I do not think Jobs was ever against a smaller tablet form factor. Jobs and Co have a habit of selling what they currently make as the right fit. Sure they back track when they release a new product in a catergory that they previously bashed. Not saying it is a bad tactic... I mean it does work after all.

----------

Erm yes you did.

Care to explain how that sentence is calling YOU a blind consumer? Furthermore please include the rest of my post so that sentence can be used in context with what I said about Tinmania. The post was about him in the first place, not you.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.