Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
The preview was so badly staged and acted that I thought it was a horror movie. Watch "Pirates" if you want a good film about Apple.

It's a freaking movie. Only idiots don't expect some poetic license.

...poetic?

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
I agree with Woz, I thought the clip was really dumbed down, inaccurate and over dramatic, and I expect the entire movie to be the same.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Those of you complaining about this film - I wonder how you felt about

Argo
The Social Network
The King's Speech
Dolphin Tale
Moneyball
The Blindside
Big Miracle

...and so on...

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
It comes as a great shock to me that the scene got details wrong. I was under the distinct impression Kutcher was a method actor.
Woz is talking about the script here, not something the actors would control.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Forget about this movie... I wish they would release the audiobook version of Fire In The Valley. I bought the reissue back in the late 1990s/early 2000s when they added some content to it. Great book. That is the gold standard when it comes to books about how the PC was born.

Vol7ron

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2009
Derry, NH
It's a freaking movie. Only idiots don't expect some poetic license.

Woz is irrelevant and only opens his mouth so he can try and be relevant again. What has he done lately, other than stand on line for new phones being released?

He has done nothing...I should have put sarcasm on that when I wrote it. Aside from appearing on TV shows and what not, he just seems to exist, yet everyone goes all crazy over him...almost like Justin Bieber

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Those of you complaining about this film - I wonder how you felt about

Argo
The Social Network
The King's Speech
Dolphin Tale
Moneyball
The Blindside
Big Miracle

...and so on...

Yeah, remember that Curley Sue movie with Jim Bulushi? That really sux0rs.

kayloh20

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
Chicago, IL
Sure, artistic licenses will be made with movies, but if it's a movie based on someone's life (and you're marketing it as a movie on someone's life), you can only go so far. Things like who's idea was it or if someone's a social extravert versus being a loner should stay the same.

What's interesting is that people bash Ashton Kutcher for what seems to be him trying his best to be Steve Jobs and probably only missing a few points here and there, yet they are fine when Woz says that the scene is largely being portrayed incorrectly, brushing it off as "it's a movie"?

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
In other news, Apple has it's best quarter ever? Wall Street's reaction, chop off $50 billion of market cap. That's just what I would have thought...

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
Where did all this Woz hate come from?

Woz brought it back to reality. Good to have input from one of the two guys who actually was there at the true beginning! And without Woz, none of us would even be here on an "Apple" forum. So show some respect for the Woz!

BruceEBonus

macrumors 65816
Sep 23, 2007
Derbyshire, England
Here is a the dialogue from that actual scene.

SJ: "Look here, Ive found this 486 motherboard behind the cushion of this futon sofa bed that we just carried up here into this converted loft area"
BW: "And what do you intend to do with that, man?"
SJ: "Ive made a computer casing with 'Mac' on the front an' that. And Ive got a 4mb hard disk drive, a cd player and a box of spare memory chips and a Soundblaster card .. and .."
BW: "For chrissakes, Steve - thats the most preposterous idea I've ever heard .. it'll never catch on"
SJ: "Perhaps not intiially - but once we get around to the iPod, iMac and eventual iPad production in full - THEN world domination will be ours, possibly"
BW: "Hmmm .. well, now you put it like that, alright then - where's our nearest Apple store?"

Ok - historically the script isn't 100% accurate but lets not stop that from ruining a great story ... everybody ready? Aaaaand .. action!

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
Here is a the dialogue from that actual scene.

SJ: "Look here, Ive found this 486 motherboard behind the cushion of this futon sofa bed that we just carried up here into this converted loft area"
BW: "And what do you intend to do with that, man?"
SJ: "Ive made a computer casing with 'Mac' on the front an' that. And Ive got a 4mb hard disk drive, a cd player and a box of spare memory chips and a Soundblaster card .. and .."
BW: "For chrissakes, Steve - thats the most preposterous idea I've ever heard .. it'll never catch on"
SJ: "Perhaps not intiially - but once we get around to the iPod, iMac and eventual iPad production in full - THEN world domination will be ours, possibly"
BW: "Hmmm .. well, now you put it like that, alright then - where's our nearest Apple store?"

Ok - historically the script isn't 100% accurate but lets not stop that from ruining a great story ... everybody ready? Aaaaand .. action!

9/10 would read again.

Collected

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
The clip feels wrong. Even Woz looks wrong. The character is hunched over and looks like a shy geek that was pushed around by Steve Jobs when in reality I think they were pretty much equals. Woz certainly strikes me as much more confident than the character in this clip suggests.

bsolar

macrumors 68000
Jun 20, 2011
Woz needs to get that through his head before he starts shooting his mouth off.

The one who needs to get a better understanding before shooting his mouth off is you. From the snippet above it seems Woz gets that the goal is entertainment just fine:

I’m embarrassed but if the movie is fun and entertaining, all the better.

Kwill

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2003
The scene is out of context. We don't know what has taken place before or after.

In short - it's possible that they just hit on this moment to move things along/condense time frame.

Who knows. Can't judge from the clip alone

Umm, Woz.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I thought Wozniaks perception of times and events were skewed to begin with.

Wasn't Woz in a plane crash that scrambled his memory? I was under the impression he doesn't really remember things Pre-crash first-hand, but second-hand based on what others told him post-crash?

AppleFan360

macrumors 68020
Jan 26, 2008
The one who needs to get a better understanding before shooting his mouth off is you. From the snippet above it seems Woz gets that the goal is entertainment just fine:
Look, Woz wrote his book. He's had his say. He's done. Is he going to pic apart every single biopic from now until the end of time? He needs to give it rest already.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.