Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:46 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Drops Chinese Supplier for Child Labor Violations

Apple yesterday released its 2013 Supplier Responsibility Report (PDF), disclosing the results of its audit program for 2012 and revealing that it had fired one of its suppliers after finding evidence of 74 underage workers at one facility.

Quote:
In January 2012, for example, we audited a supplier, Guangdong Real Faith Pingzhou Electronics Co., Ltd. (PZ)? that produces a standard circuit board component used by many other companies in many industries. Our auditors were dismayed to discover 74 cases of workers under age 16--a core violation of our Code of Conduct. As a result, we terminated our business relationship with PZ.
Apple's investigation determined that many of PZ's underage workers had been provided by a local labor agency that had conspired with families to forge age verification documents. As a result, Apple reported the agency to authorities, who fined suspended the business license of the agency while requiring PZ to pay the expenses to return the children to their families.

Apple's report touts a number of other achievements for 2012, including a 72% increase in the number of audits performed compared to 2011, worker empowerment training for 1.3 million employees, and increased compliance with working-hour limitations.

We've previously covered Apple's regular updates on working-hour compliance, noting that the rate had fallen in the September-November period as part of Apple's allowance for voluntary overtime during periods of high demand. Apple's new report reveals that compliance with the standard returned to near its highs in December, with Apple's audits showing 92% compliance for the entire year across more than one million tracked workers.

Article Link: Apple Drops Chinese Supplier for Child Labor Violations
MacRumors is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:04 AM   #2
phillipduran
macrumors 6502a

Man, these kids were shipped over from their families to work and live at these places. Nice to see Apple standing up against this.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:05 AM   #3
iphone495
macrumors member

Good for Apple! I feel like these things aren't really talked about in the media.

Last edited by iphone495; Jan 25, 2013 at 10:39 AM.
iphone495 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:06 AM   #4
RyanR.
macrumors 6502

So now these kids are homeless and jobless?
RyanR. is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:06 AM   #5
BornAgainApple
macrumors 6502

Kudos to Apple
BornAgainApple is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:09 AM   #6
Limboistik
macrumors regular

This is both good and bad.
Now the kids have no jobs and no money to send home to their poor families.

Life is different over there.
Limboistik is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:12 AM   #7
BvizioN
macrumors 68020

Send a message via Skype™ to BvizioN
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR. View Post
What? Jobless underage workers? Am I reading this right?
And what does Apple have anything to do with them being homeless?
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:13 AM   #8
szw-mapple fan
macrumors 6502a

macrumors posting several hours after 9to5mac. AGAIN.
szw-mapple fan is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:13 AM   #9
Chuck-Norris
Banned

So my iPhone 5 could have been made by kids? yikes
Chuck-Norris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:13 AM   #10
Bubba Satori
macrumors 68040

Quote:
They could give them portable suicide nets as part of their severence package.
Bubba Satori is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:15 AM   #11
AQUADock
macrumors 65816

Its a good thing that it is getting awareness.

Last edited by AQUADock; Jan 25, 2013 at 10:30 AM.
AQUADock is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:15 AM   #12
sportsfan
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Limboistik View Post
This is both good and bad.
Now the kids have no jobs and no money to send home to their poor families.

Life is different over there.
It's only different because those in power keep it that way....and "capitalism" is part of the problem by exploiting countries that are willing to exploit their population.
It all goes back to the 1%. They feel entitled to their unreasonable compensation so they will do anything to keep it that way. If it were more reasonable, then worker pay could be better while keeping the price of the good the same. Or even if the price were a little higher, every worker is making more money so it wouldn't have much of an effect.
sportsfan is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:19 AM   #13
srxtr
macrumors 6502a

These families need money, y'know?

I know Americans think "Child Labor" zomg wa-da-fux but without these jobs the families go hungry and homeless.

gg
srxtr is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:24 AM   #14
lazard
macrumors 6502a

poor kids, their family's income and standard of living just took a huge nosedive.
lazard is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:29 AM   #15
Limboistik
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfan View Post
It's only different because those in power keep it that way....and "capitalism" is part of the problem by exploiting countries that are willing to exploit their population.
It all goes back to the 1%. They feel entitled to their unreasonable compensation so they will do anything to keep it that way. If it were more reasonable, then worker pay could be better while keeping the price of the good the same. Or even if the price were a little higher, every worker is making more money so it wouldn't have much of an effect.
If you've been to rural areas of China you will understand.
It's not so much the "powers that be" that are suppressing the rise of the middle class.

It really is a developing country in the majority of the nation. Much of the population have led simple lives.
Limboistik is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:33 AM   #16
RoelJuun
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by szw-mapple fan View Post
I don't read 9to5mac so for me it's news.
RoelJuun is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:38 AM   #17
Puevlo
macrumors 6502a

Just great. Now even longer wait times for products shipping. Nobody cares about a few slightly younger workers.
Puevlo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:40 AM   #18
RyanR.
macrumors 6502

I'm sorry to upset so many, but if the families/parents were so caring to forge and "give" there child to a company how well do you think that child will be received when brought back to the said parent.

Maybe you all had a better childhood than I did. I had to legally work underage just to help keep a roof over my families head, not for toys.
RyanR. is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:47 AM   #19
HMI
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I'm sorry to upset so many, but if the families/parents were so caring to forge and "give" there child to a company how well do you think that child will be received when brought back to the said parent.

Maybe you all had a better childhood than I did. I had to legally work underage just to help keep a roof over my families head, not for toys.
Much respect for you, sir!
HMI is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:49 AM   #20
Laird Knox
macrumors 65816

Derp: "Apple uses child labor!"
Apple: "We have cut ties with companies that do not meet our labor standards."
Derp: "OMG! Apple throws children out on the street!"
Face: Palm
Laird Knox is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:49 AM   #21
Bathplug
macrumors 6502a

Does this mean my next idevice will be better qaulity?
Bathplug is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:52 AM   #22
WildCowboy
Administrator/Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by szw-mapple fan View Post
We certainly weren't first on this story, but by my count we beat 9to5 by eight minutes.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:54 AM   #23
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
I worked at my local super market from when I was 14 until I was 17 in the US... This is ageism, nothing but. I don't care about their ages, ask them (our so called "underage workers") what they want. Explain the pros and cons of them working and see what they choose. Don't give me any BS about them being too young to make such a big life decision - I've seen little evidence of someone making substantially smarter decisions at 18 than at 14 (sex related decisions set aside.... Hormone levels do shift a lot, but that shouldn't play much of a role in whether it's a good decision to work or not.)
ArtOfWarfare is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:54 AM   #24
Rodimus Prime
Banned

It is a start. Still a long ways to go. Yes keep the pressure up and keep doing it.
Yes I know Apple gets the lion share of the pressure but they also are in the best position to force a real change.
Rodimus Prime is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:55 AM   #25
cire
macrumors 6502

I worked illegally beginning at age 14. My mom, a working single mother, helped me forge a birth certificate to work at a Burger King. It provided our household with the cushion we needed to not become homeless. I also saved some of the money and used it (against her wishes) to buy my first computer...a Vic-20. I used that computer to make a game that was published, and went on to become a software developer...and Apple engineer.

Had I not worked at an early age, My life would be very different and probably much worse.
cire is offline   6 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion