Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:12 AM   #126
GIZBUG
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfl46 View Post
It'll probably be today. Beta 4 expires on Monday. I honestly can't believe they waited so close to the expiration date.
They would not release an update on the same day a beta expires.

2011 13'' MB Air || 64GB Iphone 6 (T-Mobile) ||
Ipad (3rd Generation) || Windows 8.1 Pro Desktop
GIZBUG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:29 AM   #127
benfica88
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oui View Post
There was once one on a Sunday I believe, can't remember which one.
There was a beta on a Saturday once before so don't be surprised. However that only gives the developers 2 days before official release??
benfica88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:51 AM   #128
g-7
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhlizard View Post
To the best of my knowledge, Apple has never issued a firmware release on a weekend day.
iOS 5 beta 5 was released on Saturday:
http://www.imore.com/ios-6-how-many-betas-will-there-be
g-7 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:08 AM   #129
lympero
macrumors 6502

Who cares about 6.1!! Ios 7 please
lympero is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:16 AM   #130
mikeydeezy
macrumors 6502a

This is very irresponsible of Apple. I hope we see a release soon.
mikeydeezy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:57 AM   #131
Dwalls90
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrodsep View Post
I think they are gonna release a beta 5 not the GM.
Based on what? Fact is, Apple stated LTE functionality for the iPhone 5 in newer countries in a week from now, which requires a software update. A 6.0.3 would just be bug fixes, and should not provide additional functionality. Thus, 6.1 is almost required to be released before next Friday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIZBUG View Post
They would not release an update on the same day a beta expires.
Agreed. Don't think Apple has ever done this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeydeezy View Post
Lol. Irresponsible? In what way? They haven't surpassed the beta expiration period nor overshot their implied release date. The GM will very likely be released before next Monday, though I would expect today unless something is wrong in iOS developer land.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:04 PM   #132
Am3r1ca16
macrumors 6502a

nothing so far
Am3r1ca16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:05 PM   #133
thadoggfather
macrumors 68040

Please, please: today.

for developers and the general public.

That'd be great.

I needz mah jailbroken 5.
thadoggfather is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:05 PM   #134
Drich290195
macrumors 6502

Not happening I don't think got that feeling
Drich290195 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:26 PM   #135
bigjnyc
macrumors 68040

Quote:
How is it irresponsible? Did they promise a specific release date? Is your phone not functioning until you get this update?
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:32 PM   #136
sbailey4
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drich290195 View Post
Not happening I don't think got that feeling
Yeah prob right. They will probably wait until October and release it with the new new new iPad. I mean the folks with wifi issues can certainly wait til then for a possible fix. No need to be in a hurry.(who knows if wifi will actually be addressed with 6.1 anyway)

Of course buying movie tickets with siri, well thats another story. Not sure the general public will stand for having to wait much longer for that.

Maybe Craig Federighi is scared to sign off on it because of what happened to Scott Forstall. So he just waiting for his stock to go back up in case he is off'ed afterwards. ha
sbailey4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:13 PM   #137
WordMasterRice
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjnyc View Post
How is it irresponsible? Did they promise a specific release date? Is your phone not functioning until you get this update?
Well for me it's going to be particularly annoying if I don't get a chance to update on Monday and my phone bricks.
WordMasterRice is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:50 PM   #138
AppleNewsTech
macrumors member

I know that Apple always releases the betas at 1PM EST but have they released it at 4PM EST before? If so, then maybe we still have a chance? 😊😊😊
AppleNewsTech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:52 PM   #139
hovscorpion12
macrumors 6502

Apple has two days to do something for IOS 6.1 developers as well as IOS 6.1. technicaly you could say Apple has until tomorrow or mid sunday because beta 4 expires Monday. I do not know if there is a "time" where IOS devices running Beta 4 will "brick", but tomorrow or mid sunday is best. It is already 2:46 ET. Maybe 4:00 ET max ET. No one knows. I would rather have betas every week with loads of bugs then have "silence". At least I would know whats being added/fixed. With minimum added features shown so far in IOS 6.1, Apple could be adding more and more. A .1 generally has a good amount of features leading up to the .0. (the .1 = 3.1,4.1, 5.1,6.1..etc)(The .0 is IOS 2.0,3.0,4.0,5.0,6.0,7.0...etc). We could see beta 5 with added features. Bug fixes don't take this long leading to expiration.
hovscorpion12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:55 PM   #140
Dwalls90
macrumors 68040

Technically, Apple could wait until Sunday to do it, just would seem like they're really running behind or are feeling time pressured.

On the contrary, has apple ever skipped the GM of a X.1.0 update and just gone straight to final release?

Either way there isn't much room for concern, they stated LTE functionality before end of next week, which needs to come in the form of iOS 6.1, thus the timeline is the same regardless of the GM date changing.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:16 PM   #141
mikeydeezy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwalls90 View Post
Lol. Irresponsible? In what way? They haven't surpassed the beta expiration period nor overshot their implied release date. The GM will very likely be released before next Monday, though I would expect today unless something is wrong in iOS developer land.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjnyc View Post

Irresponsible may have been *too* strong a word (not that what I say should be upsetting ) but I find it troubling that developers are being left guessing and hoping that they can continue to develop for the latest firmware come Monday.

Apple never promised that we would see an update before the expiration of the beta we are using currently but it's expected that we, being in the dev program, would be kept well-supplied to build for iOS.

If we don't see a weekend release it's possible we will see devs w/o devices (especially if they aren't connected to the web once the beta expires) to develop for w/o rolling back to 6.0.1/6.0.2.

Then of course there are situations like with the user below:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMasterRice View Post
Well for me it's going to be particularly annoying if I don't get a chance to update on Monday and my phone bricks.
mikeydeezy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:29 PM   #142
sbailey4
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordMasterRice View Post
Cant you downgrade to the current released version from a Beta version? If so that would solve the bricked device yes?
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:38 PM   #143
Dwalls90
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Irresponsible may have been *too* strong a word (not that what I say should be upsetting ) but I find it troubling that developers are being left guessing and hoping that they can continue to develop for the latest firmware come Monday.

Apple never promised that we would see an update before the expiration of the beta we are using currently but it's expected that we, being in the dev program, would be kept well-supplied to build for iOS.

If we don't see a weekend release it's possible we will see devs w/o devices (especially if they aren't connected to the web once the beta expires) to develop for w/o rolling back to 6.0.1/6.0.2.

Then of course there are situations like with the user below:
There will be a 6.1 GM, beta 5 or public release before Monday. Obviously they won't leave a gap in-between beta expiration and a subsequent release. Developers have had months to test on 6.1, the only changes have been mainly to patching bugs, not introducing new problematic features.

If you have on internet connectivity on your dev iOS device, then I don't know why you are developing in the first place. A beta device, as prescribed by Apple, should never be your "daily driver".

If you are using iOS 6.1 beta as your personal phone's firmware, I would highly recommend downgrading before Monday.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:50 PM   #144
GIZBUG
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwalls90 View Post

If you are using iOS 6.1 beta as your personal phone's firmware, I would highly recommend downgrading before Monday.
Why?

Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:51 PM   #145
Mateo97120
macrumors newbie

Because your iPhone will brick on 28th
Mateo97120 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:56 PM   #146
benfica88
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbailey4 View Post
Cant you downgrade to the current released version from a Beta version? If so that would solve the bricked device yes?
Yes, but you can't use 6.1 backups.
benfica88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:05 PM   #147
AppleNewsTech
macrumors member

It is not possible to downgrade...
AppleNewsTech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:09 PM   #148
sbailey4
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by benfica88 View Post
Yes, but you can't use 6.1 backups.
Ah ok. But you would at least have a working phone until 6.1 drops. Guess better than bricked especially if this is your regular device not "test unit".

Also I tend to keep several backups especially the one just after each iOS update. Not sure why I do but with what you are saying my be a good enough reason to. This is the iTunes backup I am referring to. I rename them as 5.1 5.1.1, 6 etc. My regular backups are to iCloud so guess they would be only for the current iOS and could be used in this case once iOS 6.1 is released.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleNewsTech View Post
It is not possible to downgrade...
Really? So which is it you can or cant? I have seen posts saying you can and a few saying you cant. The past one said you can but cannot use the backups from the beta version. Anyone know for sure if you can downgrade a beta to the last current version? Perhaps via DFU or manual choosing of ipsw file?
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:10 PM   #149
GIZBUG
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mateo97120 View Post
Because your iPhone will brick on 28th
I plan on updating from beta to GM/Final release. I doubt Apple would allow phones to brick with an expired beta (looking at previous betas, no beta period has expired before a new release came out)

Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:12 PM   #150
DerekRod
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbailey4 View Post
Ah ok. But you would at least have a working phone until 6.1 drops. Guess better than bricked especially if this is your regular device not "test unit".

Also I tend to keep several backups especially the one just after each iOS update. Not sure why I do but with what you are saying my be a good enough reason to. This is the iTunes backup I am referring to. I rename them as 5.1 5.1.1, 6 etc. My regular backups are to iCloud so guess they would be only for the current iOS and could be used in this case once iOS 6.1 is released.

----------

Really? So which is it you can or cant? I have seen posts saying you can and a few saying you cant. The past one said you can but cannot use the backups from the beta version. Anyone know for sure if you can downgrade a beta to the last current version? Perhaps via DFU or manual choosing of ipsw file?
You can downgrade
DerekRod is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6