Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Oct 8, 2012, 03:51 PM   #1
Diogones
macrumors regular

Need help finding installed software update list

Hey all,

I have a Mac running Mountain Lion, but I've noticed something new about the system: there is no longer an Installed Software tab in the Software Update pane in System Preferences. This list is very helpful, as it lets me determine what updates have been installed, and when. Where do I go to find the list of installed updates? Do I find it in the software update log, or somewhere else?

Last edited by Diogones; Jan 27, 2013 at 01:29 PM.
Diogones is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2012, 04:28 PM   #2
nyolc8
macrumors regular

Use the "System Profiler" app to get that.
nyolc8 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:21 AM   #3
Diogones
macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply nyolc8, but if I'm not mistaken, all I can see in the System Profiler.app is the OS version, not a list of installed updates. Unless you are referring to the log section under the Software heading? But even then, that just displays a list of logs, not what was actually installed.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 08:43 AM   #4
TRT1968
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diogones View Post
Thanks for the reply nyolc8, but if I'm not mistaken, all I can see in the System Profiler.app is the OS version, not a list of installed updates. Unless you are referring to the log section under the Software heading? But even then, that just displays a list of logs, not what was actually installed.
Yes, I have the same problem. A user reported a sudden loss of VPN connectivity (F5 Networks, Firepass), with the same symptoms as one of their underlings a few days before. I wanted to check the date, time and which updates to see if there was a correlation. Couldn't for the life of me find the software update logs in Mountain Lion. Turns out it's a Java related issue (installing the Java run time environment including browser plugins and running the F5 auto installer as per instructions fixed it), but I still don't know if it was caused by an update or not.
TRT1968 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:01 AM   #5
Quad5Ny
macrumors 6502a

/Library/Receipts/InstallHistory.plist
Quad5Ny is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:26 AM   #6
TRT1968
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quad5Ny View Post
/Library/Receipts/InstallHistory.plist
Cheers. Do you know of an app that would read that and display it in a pretty format, allow searches etc?
TRT1968 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:27 AM   #7
chrfr
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRT1968 View Post
Cheers. Do you know of an app that would read that and display it in a pretty format, allow searches etc?
System Information has it: Software/Installations in the sidebar.
chrfr is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:59 PM   #8
Quad5Ny
macrumors 6502a

Like everyone said, it's in System Information.app.

Last edited by Quad5Ny; Jan 25, 2013 at 01:14 PM. Reason: Arrow.
Quad5Ny is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:28 PM   #9
Diogones
macrumors regular

Thanks for the help everyone!

I stand corrected; nyolc8 was right after all. You just have to check under the /Software/Installations section in System Info.

I also like Quad5Ny's suggestion as well, however, for those who prefer to see the actual receipts file, and may want a little bit more information than what System Info has to offer.

Thread solved!

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion