Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:34 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

iPad 5 Set for October Debut with Design Similar to iPad Mini? iPhone 5S and Lower-Cost iPhone Moving Forward

iLounge's Jeremy Horwitz has filed a new report offering a few new details on the fifth-generation iPad, as well as on Apple's work toward future iPhone models.

Most notably, Horwitz says that he has inspected what is said to be a shell designed for the fifth-generation iPad, and that the device will adopt many of the features seen in the iPad mini's design.
Quote:
What does it look like? Well, it's a lot smaller than one would guess was possible: in portrait orientation, picture a 9.7" screen with virtually no left or right bezels, and only enough space above and below the screen to accommodate the mandatory camera and Home Button elements. Beyond that, it's noticeably thinner, as well, which is to say the the fifth-generation iPad will be smaller in every dimension than its predecessors. As it will have the same chamfered edges and curves, calling it a "stretched iPad mini" is very close to entirely accurate.
The report notes that the upcoming iPad is so much smaller and thinner than the current design that it seems to require a complete redesign of the interior, likely including a shift in display technology to IGZO panels and smaller chip components.

Horwitz says that while Apple had originally hoped to push the fifth-generation iPad out in March, it now appears that an October launch is more likely, perhaps due to issues with component yields.

On the topic of the iPhone, Horwitz says that the iPhone 5S will unsurprisingly appear nearly identical to the iPhone 5, although it will have a slightly larger rear flash. The rumored lower-cost iPhone with a plastic shell is indeed said to be in Apple's plans for 2013, with a focus on China Mobile as Apple seeks to lower the cost of entry for the world's largest carrier.

Finally, Horwitz says that the rumored "iPhone Math" is indeed in development, but that it will not be appearing this year, if ever.
Quote:
Addressing the so-called "iPhone Math"--hinted by one source as a mistranslation of "iPhone +"--we've been told that this is another new model and in early prototyping stages, certainly not expected in 2013. It supposedly has a 4.7" screen, at least for the time being. It might never make it to market, and plenty could change before it does. Consider it Apple's "just in case / Plan B" hedge against ever-growing Android phone screen sizes.
Horwitz has shared fairly accurate information on Apple's product plans several times in the past, suggesting that he does indeed have reliable sources with access to Apple's supply chain.

Article Link: iPad 5 Set for October Debut with Design Similar to iPad Mini? iPhone 5S and Lower-Cost iPhone Moving Forward
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:37 AM   #2
Jetson
macrumors 6502a

iPad 5 on order now!!!

Or whenever it's released.

Jetson is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:38 AM   #3
TheRainKing
macrumors 6502a

edit - nvm just read article

delete please
TheRainKing is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:38 AM   #4
flavr
macrumors 6502

Just like I've been saying...No new iPad 5 or Mini Retina until FALL 2013. Glad I returned my iPad 4 and bought my iPad mini when I did in December. It's absolutely fantastic and I've been enjoying it like crazy!
flavr is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:38 AM   #5
medi.freak
macrumors regular

I want an ipad mini 2 !!! IN MARCH!
8Gb iPod Nano 3G
medi.freak is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:38 AM   #6
Squilly
macrumors 68020

March please
And I don't want another redesign. I have accessories coming in for when I buy the iPad 5
Squilly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:39 AM   #7
myrtlebee
macrumors 65816

"only enough space above and below the screen to accommodate the mandatory camera and Home Button elements."

Does this mean the bottom bezel (with the home button) will be thicker than the top?
myrtlebee is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:39 AM   #8
gmanist1000
macrumors 68020

Well if they make the iPad 5 a lot lighter, I'll be buying it again for the bigger screen. I went to the Mini because it's so light.
gmanist1000 is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:40 AM   #9
Jetson
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by medi.freak View Post
I want an ipad mini 2 !!! IN MARCH!
That's what I'm talking about!

However, if the iPad 5 will be similar to the iPad Mini in terms of size, of what use is the Mini?
Jetson is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:40 AM   #10
jamesryanbell
macrumors 68020

I'm totally buying an iPad 5.
jamesryanbell is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:40 AM   #11
madsci954
macrumors 68000

If something were coming in March, wouldn't we be seeing leaked parts by now? Or would it still be too soon?
madsci954 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:41 AM   #12
r2shyyou
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
On the topic of the iPhone, Horwitz says that the iPhone 5S will unsurprisingly appear nearly identical to the iPhone 5, although it will have a slightly larger rear flash.

[Rushes to nearest Apple Store to be first in line for "breakthrough" iPhone 5S]
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:41 AM   #13
basesloaded190
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to basesloaded190
If they aren't releasing new iPads until October, I have to imagine the iPhone would be in the summer otherwise it's going to be a boring first couple of quarters for not only customers, but investors as well.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:42 AM   #14
needfx
macrumors 68030

ok people, place your bets
needfx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:42 AM   #15
sportsfan
macrumors regular

I don't believe the smaller bezel rumor. The full size iPad needs places where you can hold it.
sportsfan is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:43 AM   #16
DanteMann
Banned

Of course there will be a bigger iPhone. Apple didn't even want a 4 inch screen, but they were pushed by the market. Just put an iPhone 4 next to the current batch of high end Android phones and see how pathetic that screen size holds next to those gorgeous 4.7-4.8 screens. Keeping 3.5 inches would have been a complete joke. So 4 inches they went. Apple even had to saturate the colors on the iPhone 5 screen from previous screens just to show better on the sales floor against the vibrant SuperAmoled Screens. On the sales floor, the vibrant colors of the SuperAmoled just pop and look amazing. Nobody is doing any major photo editing on their puny 3.5-4 inch skinny smartphone screen to require accurate colors.
Tim believes they have the perfect screen size at 4 inches. So what about all those past years at 3.5 inches which they professed was the perfect size. What a joke.
DanteMann is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:45 AM   #17
JaySoul
macrumors 65816

Focus on improving iOS.
JaySoul is offline   35 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:45 AM   #18
Rogifan
macrumors G3

I hope this ipad rumor is true. Me want badly.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:47 AM   #19
sportsfan
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanteMann View Post
Of course there will be a bigger iPhone. Apple didn't even want a 4 inch screen, but they were pushed by the market. Just put an iPhone 4 next to the current batch of high end Android phones and see how pathetic that screen size holds next to those gorgeous 4.7-4.8 screens. Keeping 3.5 inches would have been a complete joke. So 4 inches they went. Apple even had to saturate the colors on the iPhone 5 screen from previous screens just to show better on the sales floor against the vibrant SuperAmoled Screens. On the sales floor, the vibrant colors of the SuperAmoled just pop and look amazing. Nobody is doing any major photo editing on their puny 3.5-4 inch skinny smartphone screen to require accurate colors.
Tim believes they have the perfect screen size at 4 inches. So what does that mean for all those past years at 3.5 inches they they also professed was the perfect size. What a joke.
Perhaps apple doesn't always go out and put the latest screen, or what have you, in it's products is because they have price targets to meet and profit margins to maintain. If Apple put in a large screen, do you still think it could be sold for $600 or $200 with contract?

I personally like the form factor. It fits my hands and into my pocket nicely.
sportsfan is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:47 AM   #20
rtr1985
macrumors 6502

Of course October. They want to put the A7X in it.
rtr1985 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:48 AM   #21
ScholarsInk
macrumors regular

Quote:
Tim believes they have the perfect screen size at 4 inches. So what about all those past years at 3.5 inches which they professed was the perfect size. What a joke.
I miss downvoting.
ScholarsInk is offline   58 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:48 AM   #22
daneoni
macrumors G4

I'm more interested in iOS7
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:49 AM   #23
iLog.Genius
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanist1000 View Post
Well if they make the iPad 5 a lot lighter, I'll be buying it again for the bigger screen. I went to the Mini because it's so light.
This. While the iPad with Retina Display is a great product, the weight is an annoyance. I was about to get an iPad MINI for the weight and use that as the primary on-the-go device and leave the iPad w/ Retina Display at home but if this turns out to be official, might wait and get the full sized iPad 5.
iLog.Genius is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:49 AM   #24
Cynicalone
macrumors 68040

This all seems very reasonable and therefore believable.

But the focus this year needs to be iOS 7.
Cynicalone is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:49 AM   #25
daneoni
macrumors G4

Quote:
At least TRY not to be obvious about your trolling.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion