Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:49 AM   #26
Popeye206
macrumors 68030
 
Popeye206's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NE PA USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySoul View Post
Focus on improving iOS.
+1... iOS makes up 90% of the features anyway... make it better... give us something new without changing the hardware. I really don't care about 5 inch screens or NFCs.

Otherwise... hurry up with something on the TV side! I want to dump my cable by the end of 2013.
Popeye206 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:50 AM   #27
camnchar
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: SLC, Utah
Send a message via AIM to camnchar
Apple probably needs to redesign the iPhone every year now. Squatting on a single design for two years with all of Android's various and ever-changing form factors is not the best recipe for long-term growth -- especially with a similarly stagnant OS.
__________________
Apple //c, 1 MHz, 128k RAM, 5.25" floppy drive, 1-button mouse
camnchar is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:50 AM   #28
DesertEagle
macrumors 6502a
 
DesertEagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: /home @ 127.0.0.1
I can haz retina iPad mini?
DesertEagle is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:51 AM   #29
Nicky G
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Baltimore & NYC
A lightweight iPad 5 versus a iPad mini Retina is going to be a tough choice. I have a mini now and love it, letting my girlfriend borrow my iPad 3. I vastly prefer the mini for its size and most of all weight, but I definitely miss the retina screen.

Who knows, maybe for once I'll actually skip the next generation of iPads. If the next mini doesn't have retina, can't see a big reason to upgrade.
__________________
MacBook Pro 15" Retina 2.6GHz i7 Ivy Bridge 16GB 512GB
iPhone 5s 64GB Gold AT&T
iPad Air 128GB Space Gray AT&T
iPod nano 7th Generation Black
Nicky G is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:52 AM   #30
apolloa
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Hmmm I can see those share prices dropping again IF Apple doesn't launch the next iPad for another 9 months!!
Be interesting to see what a 'cheap' iPhone ends up like but I bet it will be for the Chinese market only, that would be another fail.

Yeah I don't believe a word of this report, then again you never know?

I agree that Apple should focus on making iOS work properly first and they need to change it, make it fresh and new.
apolloa is online now   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:52 AM   #31
DanteMann
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScholarsInk View Post
I miss downvoting.
Reality's a hell of a drug.
DanteMann is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:54 AM   #32
Jetson
macrumors 6502a
 
Jetson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanteMann View Post
Of course there will be a bigger iPhone. Apple didn't even want a 4 inch screen, but they were pushed by the market. Just put an iPhone 4 next to the current batch of high end Android phones and see how pathetic that screen size holds next to those gorgeous 4.7-4.8 screens. Keeping 3.5 inches would have been a complete joke. So 4 inches they went. Apple even had to saturate the colors on the iPhone 5 screen from previous screens just to show better on the sales floor against the vibrant SuperAmoled Screens. On the sales floor, the vibrant colors of the SuperAmoled just pop and look amazing. Nobody is doing any major photo editing on their puny 3.5-4 inch skinny smartphone screen to require accurate colors.
Tim believes they have the perfect screen size at 4 inches. So what about all those past years at 3.5 inches which they professed was the perfect size. What a joke.
I was showing an app to someone on my 5th gen iPod recently. Afterward the guy remarked, do you have problems reading things on that small screen? Taken aback I said defensively that I also have a bigger screen (thinking about my iPad 4), but no this is fine.

As I thought about it later and hear about rumored Samsung 6 inch screens, I realize that Apple is sort of holding us back. We love Apple products so much and with good reason. But Apple can be slow to respond or change according to people's or the market's preferences. I understand that's part of their business model. But once in a while reality hits you with a certain poignancy.
Jetson is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:54 AM   #33
NOV
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: The Netherlands
Well, more cannabalizing products (cheap iPhone) is just what we need ... I'd rather see them gear to TV's. Because Apple didn't deliver I was forced to buy a Samsung Smart TV. What a mess, even if Apple packed its Apple TV into a big screen I would choose that product any day over Smart TV.
__________________
Personal website
Music website
NOV is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:55 AM   #34
Chumburro2U
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: I Love L.A.
oh well

Thought Tim Cook said the product line was "choke full"? Anyways, will probably wait for the iphone 6 and hope that it is the 4.8 screen size, and PLease make it Wider.
__________________
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has." - Margaret Mead
Chumburro2U is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:55 AM   #35
DanteMann
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfan View Post
Perhaps apple doesn't always go out and put the latest screen, or what have you, in it's products is because they have price targets to meet and profit margins to maintain. If Apple put in a large screen, do you still think it could be sold for $600 or $200 with contract?

I personally like the form factor. It fits my hands and into my pocket nicely.
Let me ask again. Apple professed for years, 3.5 inches was the perfect screen size. And the Apple hopeful completely ate it all up and were in complete agreement. So now they believe 4 inches is perfect and that's how they advertise it. So if 4 inches is the perfect size, what about all those years at 3.5 inches?
DanteMann is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:56 AM   #36
NOV
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: The Netherlands
BTW whatever happened to iPhone 'Math'
__________________
Personal website
Music website
NOV is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:56 AM   #37
Jetson
macrumors 6502a
 
Jetson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky G View Post
A lightweight iPad 5 versus a iPad mini Retina is going to be a tough choice. I have a mini now and love it, letting my girlfriend borrow my iPad 3. I vastly prefer the mini for its size and most of all weight, but I definitely miss the retina screen.

Who knows, maybe for once I'll actually skip the next generation of iPads. If the next mini doesn't have retina, can't see a big reason to upgrade.
I would definitely consider buying the next iPad Mini ONLY if it has the Retina display.

The fact that it's light and can fit in my jacket pocket is the attraction.

My iPad 4 would in no way fit in my jacket pocket, and if it did, my jacket would be hanging lopsided from the tonnage
Jetson is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:59 AM   #38
alent1234
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfan View Post
Perhaps apple doesn't always go out and put the latest screen, or what have you, in it's products is because they have price targets to meet and profit margins to maintain. If Apple put in a large screen, do you still think it could be sold for $600 or $200 with contract?

I personally like the form factor. It fits my hands and into my pocket nicely.

they can try to sell it for $600 on contract, no one will buy it

Galaxy Note 2 is $299 or $249 depending where you buy it

Seems apple is making the classic mistake of hiding inside margins. just like Intel
alent1234 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:00 PM   #39
KylePowers
macrumors 68000
 
KylePowers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Was going to get an iPad Mini with Retina when it launched because I liked the lighter weight... but if they've managed to cut the weight in ~half for the iPad 5, then I might have to just wait for that! Blargh, idk
KylePowers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:03 PM   #40
Aluminum213
macrumors 65816
 
Aluminum213's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
just revamp iOS, which is so damn stale
__________________

iPad Air 2 | Silver | 64GB
iPhone 6 Plus | Silver | 64GB
2012 iMac 27" | i7 | 3.4Ghz | Fusion | 32GB RAM | 680MX
Aluminum213 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:04 PM   #41
GuitarDTO
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Trolling aside, I do believe the iPhone 5 and 4 inch screen was without a doubt a reaction to the Android market and the increasingly larger phones. Apple will react again at some point, whether it be 4.5 or 4.7 inch screen, but for me personally it might be too late.

I LOVE all of my Apple products, I have a Macbook pro which couldnt be pried away from my hands. The iPad is awesome. I want a bigger phone though, and the only thing keeping me with iPhone for the time being is the ecosystem, however I'm constantly looking into all that would be required to switch platforms and I have to say I am close to the point where a new state of the art Samsung phone in the ~5" range would be seriously appealing to me. I'm close to switching, and can't imagine that I am the only one.
GuitarDTO is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:04 PM   #42
Journeyman79
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Liverpool, England.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOV View Post
BTW whatever happened to iPhone 'Math'
Read the article and find out!
Journeyman79 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:04 PM   #43
Rogifan
macrumors G3
 
Rogifan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by camnchar View Post
Apple probably needs to redesign the iPhone every year now. Squatting on a single design for two years with all of Android's various and ever-changing form factors is not the best recipe for long-term growth -- especially with a similarly stagnant OS.
Does hardware design matter in terms of how you use the phone? How does it make many business sense to redesign your products every year just because some people get bored easily.

Here's the Nokia N90, Lumia 900 and 920. Those phones don't really look that different, yet everyone drooled over the 920 design. If a design is good why does it need to change much?

Thumb resize.
__________________
"When we se something huge and powerful we aspire to make it small and meaningful."— Jony Ive 
Rogifan is online now   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:04 PM   #44
Danoc
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Vladivostok
An iPad 5 with the iPad mini design, retina display, 500 grams, ios7. You can be sure it will be the hottest product for the Christmas season. Outsold for months easily.
Danoc is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:05 PM   #45
echo44
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanteMann View Post
Of course there will be a bigger iPhone. Apple didn't even want a 4 inch screen, but they were pushed by the market. Just put an iPhone 4 next to the current batch of high end Android phones and see how pathetic that screen size holds next to those gorgeous 4.7-4.8 screens. Keeping 3.5 inches would have been a complete joke. So 4 inches they went. Apple even had to saturate the colors on the iPhone 5 screen from previous screens just to show better on the sales floor against the vibrant SuperAmoled Screens. On the sales floor, the vibrant colors of the SuperAmoled just pop and look amazing. Nobody is doing any major photo editing on their puny 3.5-4 inch skinny smartphone screen to require accurate colors.
Tim believes they have the perfect screen size at 4 inches. So what about all those past years at 3.5 inches which they professed was the perfect size. What a joke.
Just got back from South beach interesting did not see a single Samsung phone
everyone had an iPhone. I think the reason is most people still use their phone as a phone. When I need it for the internet it is usually to look up information to help me perform my tasks on the run. The screen is perfect for checking emails, texting, light internet surfing, HD video and reviewing pictures. I also use my iPhone 5 to stream music while i work out and the smaller the device when you are running the better!! My friend has a samsung galaxy III the screen is not that gorgeous just bigger, the color inaccuracy would never cut it for me, in addition he has to carry around an extra battery just to get through the day. I like that my iPhone is small it does every thing I need and fits in my front pocket. The iPhone 5 is a tough bastard as well i have no case have dropped it so many times and no scratches the structural integrity for such a small device is an engineering marvel. So lets see bigger screen Samsung vs, 3x as fast processor, way lighter, more sturdy, better color accuracy and brightness, better battery life and metal vs cheap plastic. The choice is obvious not everyone is all about the size some of us are about functionality and beauty. I guess if your a game player the bigger screen would be better and the lower price would be helpful because if you are spending most of your time playing games on your mobile phone you probably can't afford an iPhone
echo44 is offline   19 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:07 PM   #46
ka-spot
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2012
and what's up with the new Air ?
__________________
ka-spot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:08 PM   #47
mabaker
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Newsflash: Apple is developing various screen-sized prototypes of their products!!!!
__________________
„Integrated Intel graphics chip steals power from the CPU and siphons off memory from system-level RAM. You'd have to buy an extra card to get the graphics performance of Mac Mini [..]” - Apple.com
mabaker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:09 PM   #48
Jetson
macrumors 6502a
 
Jetson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Apparently with iPads and iPhones, size DOES matter!

Jetson is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:09 PM   #49
Plutonius
macrumors 601
 
Plutonius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetson View Post
I was showing an app to someone on my 5th gen iPod recently. Afterward the guy remarked, do you have problems reading things on that small screen? Taken aback I said defensively that I also have a bigger screen (thinking about my iPad 4), but no this is fine.

As I thought about it later and hear about rumored Samsung 6 inch screens, I realize that Apple is sort of holding us back. We love Apple products so much and with good reason. But Apple can be slow to respond or change according to people's or the market's preferences. I understand that's part of their business model. But once in a while reality hits you with a certain poignancy.
Get a tablet for the bigger size. People get the iPod Touch for the size (it fits comfortably in your pocket).
Plutonius is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:09 PM   #50
Gemütlichkeit
macrumors 65816
 
Gemütlichkeit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySoul View Post
Focus on improving iOS.
this is seriously what apple needs to be doing right now. Take a break on hardware and improve the performance of your OS, patch bugs, etc.
__________________
"It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no God." -Thomas Jefferson
Gemütlichkeit is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPad Mini: iPad Mini Retina Speaker volume lower than iPhone 5 BNHabs iPad 1 Nov 22, 2013 12:47 AM
A7X-Based iPad and iPad Mini Expected to Launch in 4Q 2013, Lower-Cost A6 iPad Mini to Follow in 2014 MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 178 Oct 11, 2013 08:52 AM
Low-Cost iPhone and iPad 5 to Ship in Early September with iPhone 5S Coming Later, No Retina iPad mini in 2013? MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 135 Jul 25, 2013 01:11 AM
Design Drawings Reveal Case Makers' Expectations for iPhone 5S and Lower-Cost iPhone MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 69 Jun 29, 2013 10:59 AM
Production Challenges to 'Delay' Launches of iPhone 5S, Lower-Cost iPhone and New iPad Mini? MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 176 Apr 17, 2013 04:51 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:47 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC