Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FotoDirk

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2010
Nobody knows that at this moment. I doubt Apple knows this already.
This will dependent on the feature set in iOS7 and weather the older phone can support that without a problem.

Normally since the 3GS still support iOS6 you can expect that the 4 will still support iOS7 and the 3GS is dropped from the list of supported devices. But it will depend on how well the HW will handle the newer OS version.

Please note even in the event that your older iPhone supports the newer iOS, there will likely be features in the newer version that are not supported. For instance Siri is not supported by all older models or the panorama-function for the camera.

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
I think it will. Maybe even up to iOS 8, but with less and less features with each release. By the time iOS 8 comes out, I'm upgrading my iPhone 4 anyways.

From A Buick 8

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2010
Ky Close to CinCinnati
Highly unlikely

Highly likely that it will, but just not every new feature will work on the 4.

----------

People who didn't get Siri aren't missing much

I use Siri often, to play music and send text, i can see that it might not be very useful if it has trouble understanding you. I love being able to ask her to play a specific artist and within seconds it does just that. I do wish the Siri screen would then close to reveal the music player.

johnstanley

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2012
USA
I'm sure it will get it, but probably not iOS 8. Apple is funny with how long they will wait to stop supporting a device. Usually a couple of years after warranty has run out on the last model sold.

Also I doubt iOS 7 will be a major upgrade and include any new features (like Siri) and won't require a vastly faster processor.

Gunny011

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2011
The iPad 3 is no longer being produced. Sorry the iPad 2 will receive IOS 7. Most often products that are discontinued do not see updates.

The iPad 3 will definitely receieve IOS 7.

If history is to be followed the iPad 2 will not receive IOS 7 as it has already had 2 'major releases' of new software, similar to the orginal iPad. Then again the iPad 2 has moreorless the same internals as the iPad Mini and the mini will obviously receieve IOS 7.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
The iPad 3 will definitely receieve IOS 7.

If history is to be followed the iPad 2 will not receive IOS 7 as it has already had 2 'major releases' of new software, similar to the orginal iPad. Then again the iPad 2 has moreorless the same internals as the iPad Mini and the mini will obviously receieve IOS 7.

I think that A5 devices will receive the new OS in some/all capacity (depending on device) and the A4 will receive a very limited version (depending on what it is).

errant

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2012
Yes. It's still being sold as a new device.

3GS most likely will not.

by the time iOS 7 comes about, the iPhone 4 probably won't be sold as a new device any longer. 4S will probably be as far back as it goes.

but I imagine the 4 will still get MOST features of iOS 7, since at the moment it currently is being sold as new and will be right up until the debut of the next iPhone, same as how 3GS gets most of the iOS 6 features, even if it does struggle under the weight of it.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
It all depends on how much or how little they improve iOS7. If the past is any indication, there's no reason it won't run on iPhone 4.

Of course, there will be things left out, but the idea is to get you to upgrade.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
The single core processor and the graphics chip will probably hinder iOS 7 from running smoothly but if the 3GS is any indication of things to come, the iPhone 4 will get iOS 7.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
I dont think so.

The iPhone 4 has iOS 4, 5, and 6.

Apple caps off supporting a device after 3 OS updates (the only exception is the 3GS which has 4)

Plus the iPhone 4 will be dropped this year as the iPhone 4S will take its place, the iPhone 5 will move down as the iPhone 5S become the new phone. Also with rumors surrounding a less expensive iPhone, I think Apple will not support the iPhone 4.

BlaqkAudio

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2008
New York
I dont think so.

The iPhone 4 has iOS 4, 5, and 6.

Apple caps off supporting a device after 3 OS updates (the only exception is the 3GS which has 4)

Plus the iPhone 4 will be dropped this year as the iPhone 4S will take its place, the iPhone 5 will move down as the iPhone 5S become the new phone. Also with rumors surrounding a less expensive iPhone, I think Apple will not support the iPhone 4.
Actually Apple used to stop supporting after 2 major updates, but they stopped doing so with the 3GS and the 4 after they moved to tiered models. Also, as others have already pointed out, the 3GS received iOS 6 despite Apple ceasing sales.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
Actually Apple used to stop supporting after 2 major updates, but they stopped doing so with the 3GS and the 4 after they moved to tiered models. Also, as others have already pointed out, the 3GS received iOS 6 despite Apple ceasing sales.

Hmm, I thought Apple was still selling the iPhone 3GS when they announced iOS 6 during WWDC in June.

But thanks for clearing it up.

I would say with 75% certainty that it will have iOS 7 (albeit with capabilities removed). That is the current trend.

The iPad 3 is no longer being produced. Sorry the iPad 2 will receive IOS 7. Most often products that are discontinued do not see updates.

You are ludicrous if you think the iPad 2 will get iOS 7, but the iPad 3 will not.... I understand that the 3 is no longer being sold, but it is still a "newer" device.

Hmm, I thought Apple was still selling the iPhone 3GS when they announced iOS 6 during WWDC in June.

But thanks for clearing it up.

You are right it was. I think what that poster was getting at was that the day iOS 6 was actually released the 3GS had stopped being sold. It was virtually at the same time. I don't think a 3GS was ever shipped with iOS 6 preinstalled. That's what he meant.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
IOS6 for 3GS was literally just an upgrade in nothing but name only. People lost google maps and youtube, for apple maps, shared photo stream, do not disturb and call-decline.

I suspect it may be the same for iphone4. Notice how it is the last phone to use a single core-processor? If you want an OS that takes full advantage of those 2 chores, then the iPhone4 will have to be sacrificed. They will likely still get a few scraps here and there, but probably none of IOS7's key selling points (whatever they may be).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.