Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland

Closed Thread

Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:10 AM   #26
SmithCommaJohn
macrumors newbie

I may not be able to afford a new iMac, but I can put this box in front of my house with the garbage, and make my neighbors jealous. And isn't that what REALLY matters when it comes to Apple products?
SmithCommaJohn is offline   0
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:18 AM   #27
mushroomtip
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmithCommaJohn View Post
I may not be able to afford a new iMac, but I can put this box in front of my house with the garbage, and make my neighbors jealous. And isn't that what REALLY matters when it comes to Apple products?

at 300 bucks ,I'd display it in my front window before throwing it out
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:35 AM   #28
weckart
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I'm sure prospective burglars appreciate the heads up
weckart is online now   0
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:38 AM   #29
Acorn
macrumors 68020

people assume the seller is actually going to get payed. I seriously doubt the buyer is going to pay that. What will happen is he wont pay, seller will file an buyer unpaid email then the buyer MAY have some kind of suspension. IN which case it doesnt matter because he has 0 feedback and will simply make another account. ebay cant make you pay anything. they can warn you that disciplinary action will be taken if you dont. but they cant make you.
Acorn is offline   0
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:40 AM   #30
Solomani
macrumors 65816

Relax boys and girlie-mens! This eBay scam is not so bad.

If this had been a Craigslist listing, the Seller would be shipping an empty box, with a dead body inside!
Solomani is offline   0
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:53 AM   #31
leman
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndiS. View Post
I agree, he mentions it a couple of times. I don't think the seller was trying to scam anybody, listing the specs is meant to show which computer was in the box.
Of course it was meant to be a scam This is one of the oldest ebay tricks to trap inattentive people; while the scammer is still in the legal grey zone.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acorn View Post
people assume the seller is actually going to get payed. I seriously doubt the buyer is going to pay that.
If that's even a real buyer. Chances are, its the scammer's alter ego that raises the price in order to increase the illusion that its the real computer being sold and thus make other people bid.
leman is offline   0
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:55 AM   #32
spork183
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
heck no! I want them to come in and drool on my floor...
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:15 PM   #33
AndiS.
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by leman View Post
Of course it was meant to be a scam This is one of the oldest ebay tricks to trap inattentive people; while the scammer is still in the legal grey zone.

----------

If that's even a real buyer. Chances are, its the scammer's alter ego that raises the price in order to increase the illusion that its the real computer being sold and thus make other people bid.
He mentions 3-4 times that it's only the box being sold, which is why I wouldn't categorize it as a scam. Putting the tech specs in there, the way he/she does, is dubious, I can agree with that. There seems to be some sort of preying on the "extremely inattentive". But a scam would be straight out selling something the seller doesn't have, or lying about the actual item.

Without knowing the seller personally, it's only speculation what his real intentions were. Objectively speaking, the auction can be misleading, but I don't think anybody got confused, otherwise they bids would've gone a lot higher.
AndiS. is offline   0
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:29 PM   #34
Slow Programmer
macrumors regular

Interesting that the other item he has to sale has a, "four year Apple Care warranty."
Slow Programmer is offline   0
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:54 PM   #35
FreemanW
macrumors 6502

http://a1.ec-images.myspacecdn.com/i...8fd09e2c/l.jpg

eBay thrives on bargain hunters. Some bargain hunters suffer from severe greed and hoarding. No doubt one of those purchased this iMac box and got another one of life's lessons.

36 bids, I bet that merely scratches the surface of idiots on eBay. In a country of more than 300 million people, there's a lot of mouth breathing idiots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Programmer View Post
Interesting that the other item he has to sale has a, "four year Apple Care warranty."
Now it is only a MBP 15.4" . . . no returns accepted. A two year old MBP for $1,200.

Is four years a valid increment for AppleCare? . . . . 'cause that is what this seller is claiming.

Last edited by FreemanW; Jan 25, 2013 at 02:00 PM.
FreemanW is offline   1
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:05 PM   #36
noobinator
macrumors 6502a

Nice, now I can get a base iMac for $999
noobinator is offline   0
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:09 PM   #37
SmithCommaJohn
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by weckart View Post
I'm sure prospective burglars appreciate the heads up
Well, in this hypothetical, the joke would be on the burglar. Enjoy breaking into my house expecting to find an iMac, and finding an ancient Dell XPS instead.
SmithCommaJohn is offline   0
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:15 PM   #38
pubjoe
macrumors 6502

I once listed a processor "box only" and it was bid to over 100. I felt too bad to send it and refunded the buyer.

I don't think everyone should be so quick to say the buyer deserves it. In this case the buyer looks to be fake, but this sort of thing does happen a lot (anyone remember the Xbox box?). There are many individuals and companies who blatantly exploit the, erm, mentally unfortunate, and ebay box tricking (intentional or not) goes way too far. It's an insult to your fellow man and it illustrates just what's wrong with the growing faceless and selfish attitude of online opportunists. Very few people would ever try and pull this face-to-face.
pubjoe is offline   0
Old Jan 25, 2013, 02:33 PM   #39
vannibombonato
macrumors regular

It's just a scam

This is an intentional scam, plain and simple, and i don't think it's within ebay rules.

Yes he does say that's for the box only, but then goes on listing as tech specs "Tech Specs are 2.9 GHz quad core i5, 8GB ram, 1 TB hard drive, NVIDIA GeForce 660m 512 MB DDR5 memory".
And that's false, techs specs should be something like xy inches, etc.
Or, he should have said something like "Tech specs for the iMac that WAS within the box WERE...".

Like this it's just a scam, and i think he's in for some trouble with Ebay if the buyer (obviously not so smart) actually pays for it.

And, looking at the bidding history, looks like there was basically only one legitimate buyer, the others look like fake accounts of the seller trying to get the price up (look at the bidding history of the bidders).

Net, he's a prick :-)

Vanni
vannibombonato is offline   0
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:28 PM   #40
JoshMKB24
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchMint.com View Post
I keep all my boxes for everything (yes my garage is full). I tend to resell everything after I upgrade or whatever having a box really increases the value. If I knew I could get almost $300 for the iMac box I might make an exception.
Agreed, I'd definitely think about throwing it up there if I didn't plan on moving in the next 6 months

It really is surprising what people buy. I've sold empty bottles of Cristal or Ace of Spades or Dom online and I'm always surprised how many people want empty bottles
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:40 PM   #41
7thson
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by uptownnyc View Post
If the buyer didn't know what they were buying, they could probably file a claim since the listing says:

"New: A brand-new, unused, unopened, undamaged item"

It's clearly been opened. But who knows - maybe somebody wanted to buy a box - fill it with wood, and sell it for $800 out of the back of a truck.
So that was you! I want my money back! Sorry, I burned the wood.
7thson is offline   0

Closed Thread
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Wasteland