Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has quietly added a new notes feature to its curated apps in the iOS App Store. Apps chosen for Editor's Choice and App of the Week now come with App Store Notes, which offer a quick description of the app. For example, here's the new note feature for Might & Magic: Clash of Heroes:
Clash of Heroes has it all: epic storytelling, a wonderful blend of style and substance, and a spectacular battle system. This strategy-puzzler is genre-defining and an absolute must-play effort from the creators of Sword & Sworcery EP.
The App of the Week, Gesundheit, which is currently offered for free in the iPhone App Store, features a similar description. Some other apps, such as those found in the "New and Noteworthy" and "What's Hot" sections of the App Store also have App Store Notes, though not all of the apps in those sections have the new notes.

appstorenotes.jpg
Six of 24 New and Noteworthy apps on the iPhone have notes, while the rest do not. Only two apps, Temple Run 2 and Momonga Pinball, on the What's Hot have notes included.

App Store Notes might be trickling out to all of Apple's selected apps, or may be reserved for those that are the most popular. At this point in time, it is unclear what criteria Apple is using to determine which apps are furnished with notes, or if it is a feature that will roll out to all curated apps. The new app notes are only visible in the iOS App Store, and do not show up in the desktop version of iTunes.

Update: App Store Notes first appeared back in December, for the apps that Apple selected as the best of the year. The feature now appears to be rolling out more broadly to other curated App Store sections.

Article Link: Apple Adds 'App Store Notes' to Featured Apps

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
a) this is old. Very old.

b) this is annoying & embarrassing. When you want to view the screenshots, it automatically scrolls up (to the place where the screenshots would've been centered if not for the notes), meaning you can only see the top half of the screenshot.

Mac Fly (film)

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2006
Ireland
One more reason why Apple has jumped the shark. If Apple was really innovative they'd stop wasting time with this crap and make an iMat.

Yes, I'm being sarcastic. Apple is doomed. ;-)

iSRS

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
Is anyone else noticing that this causes issues when scrolling through the screenshots on an iPhone 5? It brings that section back to the focus.

r-m

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2010
Is anyone else noticing that this causes issues when scrolling through the screenshots on an iPhone 5? It brings that section back to the focus.

Yeah when they did 12 days of Christmas, the apps had these notes on them and it did that scrolling thing then.
Stupid apple.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Free apps? Sounds good, but I'll bet it's like the free iTunes songs where they just choose trash.

There's been some outstanding Freebies. :) This game might not be your cup of tea, but it won a number of awards. It's pretty cute, my almost-5 year old is having a blast with it.

Lost Winds, Diptic, Solar Walk ... just a few good ones I've scored as the FAOTW.

Plus if you use one of the watch sites, tons of apps go free day-to-day, though they're not featured as the FAOTW.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Yawn. Let's face it. App Store app stinks. It maybe kinda pretty in screenshots, but usability is a dog, both in terms of UI, stability, and performance. It's too bad Apple removed superior apps like AppShopper out of its App Store.

AppleGuesser

macrumors regular
May 1, 2012
Macon, GA
a) this is old. Very old.

b) this is annoying & embarrassing. When you want to view the screenshots, it automatically scrolls up (to the place where the screenshots would've been centered if not for the notes), meaning you can only see the top half of the screenshot.

Yep, pretty irritating. I wish it wouldn't do that when I am trying to look at screenshots. :(

Kissaragi

macrumors 68020
Nov 16, 2006
Yawn. Let's face it. App Store app stinks. It maybe kinda pretty in screenshots, but usability is a dog, both in terms of UI, stability, and performance. It's too bad Apple removed superior apps like AppShopper out of its App Store.

Works fine for me, maybe your confusing your opinion with fact.

EssentialParado

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2005
Glad this came out before the new Mac Pro.
Didn't you see what happened to Apple's stock price lately? Apple is low on market cap, they had no choice but to take one of their few hardware engineers off the new Mac Pro and start teaching him how to code html so he could create this little feature in the App Store. I'm sure he'll get back to work on the Mac Pro soon though, right after he's finished his Genius bar shift.

That's innovation right there.

If we assume your comment is sarcasm, then you're suggesting that every little update Apple does these days needs to be a major innovation? And if we assume your comment isn't sarcasm, then you have set an excitingly low bar for what you consider innovative.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
@ all the whiners here:

So Apple does something harmless and you cry

Apple does nothing and you cry

You guys are the ones that keep the world from going forward.

----------

iTunes Store and Mac App Store are theeeee worst tools for discovery ever made.

Period.

compared to what?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.