Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Jan 25, 2013, 04:12 PM   #1
Bexhill
macrumors newbie

Best external HD for video editing?

So I bought a T3i a while ago to shoot video projects with and was having some trouble with the footage I got off it (I made another post earlier; thanks for your help narrowing my problem down). It now looks like the problem is my external hard drive. It's a 1TB MyBook Studio with a FireWire 800 connection that I bought about two years ago and has served me well for editing up to this point. It looks like the files from the T3i are too much for it to handle, and when I import them to the drive some end up with corruptions like in the attached screenshot. Importing them to my desktop works fine, but the SSD in my laptop is small and not a realistic storage option.

So my question is: if I go out to buy a new external specifically for editing video from this camera, what should I go for? Speed seems to be my main concern; I thought the MyBook was pretty fast but I guess it's not up to par. Is FireWire still a good bet for editing, or is USB 3.0 the way to go? Thunderbolt? Are traditional hard drives fast enough or should I be looking at SSDs? Any particular models or brands you've had luck with? Ideally I'd like to stay on the cheap side, but I'd rather have guaranteed quality. 1TB or more would be the size I'd want. Any advice is appreciated; thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-01-25 at 5.06.57 PM.png
Views:	247
Size:	1.53 MB
ID:	392524  
Bexhill is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Video