Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adam044

macrumors 65816
Jan 24, 2012
Boston
You guys haven't downloaded yet?! OMG is soooo fast! and like all the new features OMG it like a new phone guys! ;)

JBlueNote

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2012
Please, please: today.

for developers and the general public.

That'd be great.

I needz mah jailbroken 5.

It would be great if they released sometime today, tomorrow, or Sunday, but that would still probably give us about no more than a month before the iOS 6.1 jailbreak, if the exploits work, would come out, I think, unless they have released jailbreaks in the past in days of the new software coming out. I hope it'll just be a week of waiting once iOS 6.1 comes out. I can take another month, but man...

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009

A few important reasons come to mind:

1.) It's not completely stable as compared to the GM/final version
2.) You cannot update over the air (OTA) from a beta to the GM. Thus, be prepared to be at a computer where you can download the firmware.
3.) Going from a beta to the GM without a clean restore isn't as clean of an install, thus you are better off going from a final released product (6.0.1/6.0.2) to 6.1
4.) If you are somewhere without a computer or wifi between Sunday and Monday, and the beta expires before you can downgrade/update to the GM, you're SOL as the software expires.

GIZBUG

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
So to put 6.0.1 release back on the phone (keeping what we already have as far as apps, settings, music, etc), and get rid of the beta we go to apple's website, and download the 6.0.1 release, then restore?

mactmaster

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
So to put 6.0.1 release back on the phone (keeping what we already have as far as apps, settings, music, etc), and get rid of the beta we go to apple's website, and download the 6.0.1 release, then restore?

I'm pretty sure you cannot keep your apps, settings, etc. since you won't be able to restore a backup from 6.1 onto 6.0.1.

Drich290195

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2011
To go from beta to gm do you have to download the gm through iTunes or can it be downloaded through iTunes

Drich290195

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2011
My apologies I meant to go from beta to gm do you have to download from the developers site or an it be upgraded through iTunes

Saberon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
Despite what Apple says, you can ALWAYS downgrade to the latest signed firmware (6.0.1/6.0.2 right now) by using a DFU restore.

Sonisk

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2011
It's quite simple. Download the IPSW package from somewhere, connect your phone to a computer, start iTunes, click your phone info pane, shift-click update, choose the 6.0.2 IPSW, click ok, lean back, drink a coffee, and relax. Once it's "updated" back to 6.0.2, your phone is like just 5 minutes ago, just with the elder OS.

I had 6.1 on my iP5 just 5 minutes ago and did this. Works perfectly.
I have a developer account, and we have released something on it, just, we're pretty close to the 28th, not wanting to run risks.

Drich290195

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2011
So to answer the question will the gm be available through iTunes or is it from the developers page only

Sonisk

macrumors member
Apr 17, 2011
A GM is only offered to developers. An official release will appear in iTunes, and in OTA updates.

If Apple choose to release both public and GM the same day nobody knows. It would be extremely uncommon on one hand, since they normally give devs one weeks headstart with a GM. On the other it looks like that might happen, since Cook promised us in Europe that we will get LTE this upcoming week in an update. Maybe they release 6.0.3 for the public, and a 6.1 beta 5 for devs next week. But also very uncommon if that would happen. My bet is on 6.1 for everyone next week.

AppleNewsTech

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2012
It's quite simple. Download the IPSW package from somewhere, connect your phone to a computer, start iTunes, click your phone info pane, shift-click update, choose the 6.0.2 IPSW, click ok, lean back, drink a coffee, and relax. Once it's "updated" back to 6.0.2, your phone is like just 5 minutes ago, just with the elder OS.

I have a developer account, and we have released something on it, just, we're pretty close to the 28th, not wanting to run risks.

How did you it loose all of your contacts, calenders, etc.? It's not like you can restore from iCloud backup?

jredecop

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2009

Yup, did this with my mini, works perfectly.

GIZBUG

macrumors 68020
Oct 28, 2006
Chicago, IL

So you didnt have to reinstall your apps, add you mail settings, etc?

AppleNewsTech

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2012
Nope. I did this as well on my iPhone 5 and iPad mini. Back up just in case.

When I did it on my iPad 4th gen, it deleted earthing in addition to sip stalling 6.0.1. I clicked option then restore while selecting the ISPW. If I click shift instead do you thnk ill keep all of my stuff on my iPhone 5?

jredecop

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2009
When I did it on my iPad 4th gen, it deleted earthing in addition to sip stalling 6.0.1. I clicked option then restore while selecting the ISPW. If I click shift instead do you thnk ill keep all of my stuff on my iPhone 5?

Hit update, not restore. Then find your ISPW you downloaded.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Technically, Apple could wait until Sunday to do it, just would seem like they're really running behind or are feeling time pressured.

On the contrary, has apple ever skipped the GM of a X.1.0 update and just gone straight to final release?

Either way there isn't much room for concern, they stated LTE functionality before end of next week, which needs to come in the form of iOS 6.1, thus the timeline is the same regardless of the GM date changing.
A GM is only offered to developers. An official release will appear in iTunes, and in OTA updates.

If Apple choose to release both public and GM the same day nobody knows. It would be extremely uncommon on one hand, since they normally give devs one weeks headstart with a GM. On the other it looks like that might happen, since Cook promised us in Europe that we will get LTE this upcoming week in an update. Maybe they release 6.0.3 for the public, and a 6.1 beta 5 for devs next week. But also very uncommon if that would happen. My bet is on 6.1 for everyone next week.
Based on information at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS_SDK#SDK_release_history it seems like neither iOS 5.1, 4.1, 3.1 (and none of the 2.X releases) had GM builds (that were released). Perhaps Apple would simply be continuing what appears to be a well established pattern for X.1 iOS updates by going straight to final and not releasing a GM.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.