Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

doctorossi

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2008
I'm stunned that the 'sync apps' checkbox is missing from iTunes 11. I never would have imagined such a basic, essential function would disappear and now the present states of my devices are 'locked' as they are and I have no way (short of reverting to a previous iTunes version) to remove the apps on my Mac without also deleting them from my devices.

I really hope this is a function that was overlooked in the rush to release iTunes 11 and they'll bring it back (soon, please!) in a future point update.

Has anyone found a viable (and simpler than going back to iTunes 10) workaround for this idiocy?

Kashsystems

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2012
I'm stunned that the 'sync apps' checkbox is missing from iTunes 11. I never would have imagined such a basic, essential function would disappear and now the present states of my devices are 'locked' as they are and I have no way (short of reverting to a previous iTunes version) to remove the apps on my Mac without also deleting them from my devices.

I really hope this is a function that was overlooked in the rush to release iTunes 11 and they'll bring it back (soon, please!) in a future point update.

Has anyone found a viable (and simpler than going back to iTunes 10) workaround for this idiocy?

That is because sync apps is now enabled by default and can not be removed. You have to select remove on the individual apps you no longer wish to sync with your iPhone.

doctorossi

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2008
That is because sync apps is now enabled by default and can not be removed. You have to select remove on the individual apps you no longer wish to sync with your iPhone.

Thanks, but I don't think that helps me. Selecting 'remove' removes them from my iPhone, as well. I want to keep them on my iPhone, but not (redundantly) on my computer.

mgoi

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2012
Fully agreed

I fully agree that this is stupid. I can download all the apps from the cloud, the App store remembers which one I have, and I can backup my whole iOS device either on my computer or in the cloud. App syncing has now become useless for many of us, and the option to disable it should be brought back to iTunes.

doctorossi

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2008
I fully agree that this is stupid. I can download all the apps from the cloud, the App store remembers which one I have, and I can backup my whole iOS device either on my computer or in the cloud. App syncing has now become useless for many of us, and the option to disable it should be brought back to iTunes.

What I don't get is that Apple, in their last couple of keynotes, has talked explicitly about moving in the direction of iOS device independence. And now this giant backward step?!

On the other hand, the disparity does give me hope that this is just a temporary omission and it will return in the next iTunes update.

jrs22

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2012
The value of having the iOS apps on my Mac, and therefore in time machine, is that if I ever regret updating an app I can reinstall the old version. Still don't agree with apple removing features.

Thor774

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2007
I think it is totally crazy from Apple to remove such a function from iTunes.
I don't want my mobile apps taking space on my MBP that has a small SSD hard disk. The apps are on the iOS store and a full backup of the devices is being done to iCluod. Today I was connecting the device to back it up locally (I like to have a local backup of the devices) and found that iTunes is copying all the apps from both the iPad and iPhone back to the computer! First this happened with the iPad, I then deleted all the apps (more than 10GB!) and then it happened again with the iPhone!

I encourage all of you to send feedback to Apple about this via they feedback page: http://www.apple.com/feedback/

b_scott

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2008
I have the opposite problem. I chose Sync from my iphone, and the 31 apps that needed updating were not copied from my phone, at all.

heykanojo

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2013
this is really troublesome

I got here by trying to fix the problem with my daughters 3GS. Where other space is huge. She doesn't want to upgrade to iOS 6 as it has a new youtube which she doesn't like. tried multiple methods to clean up the space but with not all recovered. Not willing to restore and get iOS 6. But now I have had to unsync all her music to get space to install all of the apps, so I can then remove the ones she doesn't use as with 11 it autosyncs apps from other devices, which is default. now i have turned it off, but damage done all because of no sync apps checkbox. apple really has done a bad job here with sharing devices, it is a mobileme inherit, icloud doesn't fix it. If you have 2 iMacs, 2 powerbooks, 3 shuffles, 5 iphones in the house, and you don't want your kids buying with their own account, you are screwed. I recognize this type of dynamic is new to apple, but they still can't get it right.:mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.