Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

im-loving-it

macrumors member
Original poster
May 3, 2010
someone pelase help,

theres black vertical lines bottom of my screen when i switched on my macbook pro, im using snow leopard,

please someone help!!!!

reply quick if you can - everything works fine except for the lines please help

im-loving-it

macrumors member
Original poster
May 3, 2010
heres the photo.....

Attachments

• IMG_20130125_113732.jpg
    IMG_20130125_113732.jpg
    883 KB · Views: 509

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
That's the diffuser peeling away from the LCD panel. You're seeing the backlight LEDs.

It's a hardware problem with the LCD panel. Might be repairable else hope it's under warranty.

Since it's a defect you might want to take it to an Apple Genius first.

im-loving-it

macrumors member
Original poster
May 3, 2010
i dont have applecare, i bought it from ebay a few weeks ago.

i just looked on youtube and a guy pressed SHIFT, CONTROL and EJECT buttons and the screen goes black then it goes back to normal screen without the lines. i tried it and now the lines have gone but everytime i switch on the laptop i see the lines and have to do the same again :(

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.

i just looked on youtube and a guy pressed SHIFT, CONTROL and EJECT buttons and the screen goes black then it goes back to normal screen without the lines. i tried it and now the lines have gone but everytime i switch on the laptop i see the lines and have to do the same again :(

It's clearly the backlight, which normally is a hardware problem, what is odd though is you say it's gone when you press those keys, have you tried to reset the PRAM and SMC?

im-loving-it

macrumors member
Original poster
May 3, 2010
It's clearly the backlight, which normally is a hardware problem, what is odd though is you say it's gone when you press those keys, have you tried to reset the PRAM and SMC?

no i havent tried that - i dont even know what that is.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
but what do i do? i saw the links but dont know what to do

How about reading them, if I explain to you here which I could do it will say exactly the same as in the links.

For the PRAM reset I can say here because it's the same all all Macs.
PRAM reset, Hold Command-Option-P-R all at once at startup, keep them pressed until after the 2th or 3rd startup sound, then release them, the mac will boot normally.

About the SMC reset it depends on the model, if you have a removable battery or not so read it yourself.
But for your convenience I pasted part of that page here.

Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC)
Resetting the SMC on Mac portables with a battery you can remove.

Note: Learn about removing the battery on MacBook and MacBook Pro.
Shut down the computer.
Disconnect the MagSafe power adapter from the computer, if it's connected.
Remove the battery.
Press and hold the power button for 5 seconds.
Release the power button.
Reconnect the battery and MagSafe power adapter.
Press the power button to turn on the computer.

Resetting the SMC on portables with a battery you should not remove on your own.

Note: Portable computers that have a battery you should not remove on your own include MacBook Pro (Early 2009) and later, all models of MacBook Air, and MacBook (Late 2009).
Shut down the computer.
Plug in the MagSafe power adapter to a power source, connecting it to the Mac if its not already connected.
On the built-in keyboard, press the (left side) Shift-Control-Option keys and the power button at the same time.
Release all the keys and the power button at the same time.
Press the power button to turn on the computer.
Note: The LED on the MagSafe power adapter may change states or temporarily turn off when you reset the SMC.

JediMeister

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
According to this site, you can try the key combination of Shift+control+Eject to put the display to sleep, and on wake the issue should be gone.

Quad5Ny

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
New York, USA
LED backlight driver board is dying, it looks like half the LED's in the strip are not lighting.

It's a inexpensive part, but you have to take apart half the laptop and the screen to get to it.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
According to this site, you can try the key combination of Shift+control+Eject to put the display to sleep, and on wake the issue should be gone.

Erm, the guy already did so.:rolleyes:↓↓↓↓↓

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
Can't fix a broken LED diffuser with software. It's a hardware problem, could be when the screen's off the diffuser moves but it's still not something fixable in software.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.