Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

viskon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 20, 2012
Temple Run 2 is lagging and stuttering horribly on my iPod Touch 4 Gen. Anybody else have any feedback?

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Temple Run 2 is a very graphic-intensive game, there's no wonder it will lag on A4 devices, especially with it's meagre 256MB of RAM.

Temple Run 1 works fine on my iPod touch 4G though. :)

viskon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 20, 2012
Temple Run 2 is a very graphic-intensive game, there's no wonder it will lag on A4 devices, especially with it's meagre 256MB of RAM.

Temple Run 1 works fine on my iPod touch 4G though. :)

Temple Run 1 runs fine on the same iPod touch. TR 2 , on the other hand, is unplayable.

acorntoy

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
Temple Run 2 lags on my IPad 3. Plays fine on my iPhone 5.

Both have 1 GB of Ram, iPhone has twice the power of the iPad, which has twice the power of the iPod touch 4.

You should delete everything from the multitasking bar before you play, but it seems like its the processor along with lack of ram thats causing it to lag. I think your best bet is to wait and see if the developer releases a update that's more optimized for your ipod.

swingerofbirch

macrumors 68040
I have the same issue, but it's sporadic. I clear out the multi-tasking tray and restart the iPod, but the stuttering and lack of responding to input returns sporadically. It's not often enough that I'm not enjoying the game, but I do yell at it when the character dies due to locking up. One thing I try doing is not playing the game as soon as the app opens to give it "breathing space." It takes Game Center a while to show up, which I wait for, as well.

js81

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
KY
Lags badly on my iPhone 4, too. Not surprising; the iPhone 4 and iPod Touch 4th gen are basically the same device. What gets me, though, is that Imangi lists Temple Run 2 as being compatible with the 3GS! My former 3GS struggled to run the first TR at times. :) That being said, as strange as it is, my 1st gen iPad actually runs TR2 MUCH smoother than my iPhone 4. Weird...

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
The weak, recycled graphics chip from the 3GS (that came out in 2009), which now has to push twice the pixels as the 3GS, and the 256mb of RAM are likely to blame for not being able to play a graphic intensive game released in 2013. All of the 4th gens internals are essentially 2009 specs. Same processor as the 3GS just 200Mhz faster, same graphics chip, which like I said before, now has to drive twice the pixels, and the 256mb of ram which is 8 times less what current devices are coming out (2gb) with and 4 times less than what the iPhone 5 has (1gb). Add all that together and you get a stuttery mess. The 4th gen touch's gaming days are pretty much over. A5 and A6 are where it's at now for iOS.

viskon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 20, 2012
I have the same issue, but it's sporadic. I clear out the multi-tasking tray and restart the iPod, but the stuttering and lack of responding to input returns sporadically. It's not often enough that I'm not enjoying the game, but I do yell at it when the character dies due to locking up. One thing I try doing is not playing the game as soon as the app opens to give it "breathing space." It takes Game Center a while to show up, which I wait for, as well.

@acorntoy,@swingerofbirch -Clearing out the multitasking tray helped. Thanks for the tip.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
The weak, recycled graphics chip from the 3GS (that came out in 2009), which now has to push twice the pixels as the 3GS, and the 256mb of RAM are likely to blame for not being able to play a graphic intensive game released in 2013. All of the 4th gens internals are essentially 2009 specs. Same processor as the 3GS just 200Mhz faster, same graphics chip, which like I said before, now has to drive twice the pixels, and the 256mb of ram which is 8 times less what current devices are coming out (2gb) with and 4 times less than what the iPhone 5 has (1gb). Add all that together and you get a stuttery mess. The 4th gen touch's gaming days are pretty much over. A5 and A6 are where it's at now for iOS.

Apple is really doing its customers a disservice by keeping the 4th gen on sale. Most people won't spend the extra 100 for the 5th gen. I've even heard people say that the only difference between the iphone 4 and 4s is siri. People flat out don't know what they are buying. Not to mention no one should still be selling cortex a8 single cores (with an ancient sgx535 no less) at that price point when there are quad core a9's in the competion.

Last edited:

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
Apple is really doing its customers a disservice by keeping the 4th gen on sale. Most people won't spend the extra 100 for the 5th gen. I've even heard people say that the only difference between the iphone 4 and 4s is siri. People flat out don't know what they are buying. Not to mention no one should still be selling cortex a8 single cores (with an ancient sgx535 no less) at that price point when there are quad core a9's in the competion.

Apple doesn't care. Think of the profits they're making by selling a device with almost 4 year old components for $200. $350 for an unlocked iPhone 4.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Apple doesn't care. Think of the profits they're making by selling a device with almost 4 year old components for $200. $350 for an unlocked iPhone 4.

Plus people who wouldn't be able to afford the most expensive option buy it as well :) Apple would have made sure they're making at least the same profit margin on their old devices as they are with their new ones - So they can't lose no matter which one people buy.

hfmutlu

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2012

There are alot of things wrong here. The retina screen of the iPT 4 has 4 as many pixels as the 3GS. Secondly, iOS devices definately do not have 2 GB RAM The most ram an iOS device has is 1 GB. If the current devices you are referring to are android devices, then although that is correct, I don't feel like that a device such as the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 can compare with any type of iPod touch.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
There are alot of things wrong here. The retina screen of the iPT 4 has 4 as many pixels as the 3GS. Secondly, iOS devices definately do not have 2 GB RAM The most ram an iOS device has is 1 GB. If the current devices you are referring to are android devices, then although that is correct, I don't feel like that a device such as the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 can compare with any type of iPod touch.

The 3GS was 320x480 and the 4th gen touch is 640x960. looks like 2x to me. defintely not 4x. and re read what I said about the ram. Nowhere did I say iOS devices had 2gb of ram.

Last edited:

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
The 3GS was 320x480 and the 4th gen touch is 640x960. looks like 2x to me. defintely not 4x. and re read what I said about the ram. Nowhere did I say iOS devices had 2gb of ram.

320x480=153600
640x960=614400

614400/153600=4

It is 4 times as many pixels.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
i read reviews that it also lags on the ipod touch 5G. can anyone confirm this?

it runs great on the IP 4S and 5.

Runs great on my galaxy nexus and nexus 7 as well. Must be something specific to the ios version or the specific users application setup.

viskon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 20, 2012
Runs great on my galaxy nexus and nexus 7 as well. Must be something specific to the ios version or the specific users application setup.

I have a Viewsonic GTablet which was probably the first Android tablet ever, from 2010. It has a discontinued version of the Tegra 2 chip, has 512 mb of RAM and runs Android 2.2.

Not many newer games run well on it. But TR2 actually runs very well on it. This leads me to wonder if the TR2 developers have not optimized it for older iOS devices.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012

The day has come when games run more smooth on android device than ios. Apple limited spec on their device surely has the negative effects.

TR2 run smooth on my Ipad 2 but the graphic render takes little longer or just appear when you approaching the cliff. I think it is because my device is non retina and non retina version need less power to run.

The subject with IPT5, apple should have spec bump the touch 4 to 512 ram and called it a minor change sell it at 199 for 16gb or release a 16gb IPT5 at 229 or somthing. Now that the mini is eating up on IPT5 sales like crazy, im sure in March or April, apple will release IPT5 16GB at lower price and finally dismiss IPT4.

acorntoy

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2010
I have a Viewsonic GTablet which was probably the first Android tablet ever, from 2010. It has a discontinued version of the Tegra 2 chip, has 512 mb of RAM and runs Android 2.2.

Not many newer games run well on it. But TR2 actually runs very well on it. This leads me to wonder if the TR2 developers have not optimized it for older iOS devices.

This is what I was thinking. If my iPad 3 can play nova 3 and Modern Combat 4 perfectly, then I really cant see why it lags on temple run 2.

On the bright side it plays fantastically on my iPhone 5. I think the developers have some work to do.

someone28624

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
Buffalo
Temple Run 2 lags on my IPad 3. Plays fine on my iPhone 5.

Both have 1 GB of Ram, iPhone has twice the power of the iPad, which has twice the power of the iPod touch 4.

You should delete everything from the multitasking bar before you play, but it seems like its the processor along with lack of ram thats causing it to lag. I think your best bet is to wait and see if the developer releases a update that's more optimized for your ipod.

Same here. Fine on my iPhone 5, almost unusable on my iPad 3. I figure some of it has to do with the higher resolution needed in addition to the slower processor.

akfgpuppet

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2011
The 831
I let the app start up for a minute before I start playing it. The lag will cause me to die right away, the controls won't let me play the game. Let the game sit for a while before starting to play is the only solution I have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.