Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:56 AM   #1
Dutchmannn
macrumors newbie

Best storage solution for central itunes library?

I'd like to create a 2-4 Gb central library, running itunes permantenly on a headless Mac Mini. The library will contain all music and videos and should be available to an Apple TV, PC and Iphones (remote).

I am not sure about what kind of storage solution to buy. I want a second disk for backups, ideally also for storage of system backups of my PC and iphones.

Should I buy and install a NAS and connect via Ethernet or are two firewire or usb 3.0 external hdds connected to the Mac Mini a better solution? I want to avoid issues with corrupt itunes libraries, missing files, connection issues with home sharing, etc. And are external hdds built to run 24//24 in terms of life span, energy consumption and heating?
If an external Firewire HDD is a better solution than a NAS, how about this one: Western Digital My Book Studio WDBC3G0030HAL, 3 TB, FireWire, FireWire 800, USB. Or if I should buy a NAS, any suggestions?
Dutchmannn is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice