Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cubano21

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
Just recieved my Obex case today from Seidio, and all I have to say is WoW! What a difference from the LP case. I know there are a few 4 proof cases coming out, but I wanted to try this one because of the sleek design. They didnt want to take away to much from the thin design of the iPhone 5 similar to the LP case. I have tested the phone against all the issues the Fre had, and NO ISSUES. No buzzing, no echoing, screen protecter is super flush, no oil marks, speaker sounds great, and people can hear me! Here are some pictures I took.

The Boxing:

IMG_0272_zpsbd8e8ec3.jpg

Otterbox Defender vs Seidio Obex vs LifeProof Fre

IMG_0274_zpsca292625.jpg

Seidio Obex vs Otterbox Defender

IMG_0268_zps83a02954.jpg

Seidio Obex vs LifeProof Fre

IMG_0275_zps177a5bc8.jpg

The inside of the Seidio Obex

IMG_0271_zps7a008045.jpg

IMG_0270_zps1ddc2f09.jpg

These little dots are what keep the screen from having oil marks. You can see these a little when the screen is on, but not enough to be bothersome.

IMG_0269_zps42f2b0b5.jpg

Ports:

IMG_0277_zpse43fff67.jpg

IMG_0276_zps67223e90.jpg

Phone in the case

IMG_0273_zps501b61f9.jpg

Check out http://www.seidio.com/obex/ if you want to know more. I will keep everyone updated on how the case does. I am also getting the Atlas when it comes out.

Last edited:

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
Thanks for that review. I'm going to order one now. I can't wait to dump that crappy Lifeproof. :p

Does the sound come from the back of the case like the Lifeproof? I hope not :(

Last edited:

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
Nice... I had a lifeproof case for my iPhone 4 for a year, and there are lots of reasons why I didn't get one for my iPhone 5. Screen and sound is a lot of the reason why didn't get LP. Glad there are more options now. I'll check back for updates. Thanks!!!

Cubano21

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
Thanks for that review. I'm going to order one now. I can't wait to dump that crappy Lifeproof. :p

Does the sound come from the back of the case like the Lifeproof? I hope not :(

Nope sound comes out of the bottom speaker like it suppose to. The sound is crisp and very clear.

dakota316

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2011
Missouri
How is the headphone jack done? Is it simply a plug that goes in there or what? I cant really tell. Thanks alot for posting these pics. Thinking of giving this case a try myself.

Cubano21

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
How is the headphone jack done? Is it simply a plug that goes in there or what? I cant really tell. Thanks alot for posting these pics. Thinking of giving this case a try myself.

I will revise the pictures with a view of the headphone and charge port.

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida
Thanks for the review, especially the comparison pics with the other cases! Looks to be really good. I am interested to see this one compared to the Atlas when it comes out.

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
Yes, but if you look closly they fit deep inside the phone and then the hard plastic flap keeps it secure over the rubber.

Cool, I thought there was an extra piece there. :)
You just cost me $110.00 with this thread. ;)

Cubano21

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
Cool, I thought there was an extra piece there. :)
You just cost me $110.00 with this thread. ;)

You won't be disappointed, what I also like is I can record my kids and sounds is recorded crystal clear. Unlike the LP where is seemed like the recording sounded muffled. Another thumbs up.

Hooterville

macrumors 603
Sep 24, 2012
The Obex even looks smaller,thinner and shorter then LF.

I ordered with overnight Fed Ex and it $114.00 something. I guess I won't see it until Tuesday. But I'll be waiting :p

nwmtnbiker

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2011
Fidalgo Island
Thanks for the review I just ordered myself 1 also. Even the belt clip that's a 1st time. I'm at 28 days with lifeproof guess where that's going lol...

mike1111

macrumors member
Mar 15, 2011
The main concerns with the Samsung Galaxy S3 Obex case seem to be screen sensitivity and audio/voice quality. How are those with the iPhone 5 case? Compared to the Lifeproof case and the naked device? And how's the speakerphone audio quality? And is it more a soft touch material or slippery hard plastic? Thanks!

Cubano21

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
Is the third microphone on the back covered, too?

It is protected but not muffled. If you look at picture 6 there is room for the mic to work. I own a diesel truck and it is loud inside and I have talked to quite a few people and they can hear me just fine, no loud noise in the background.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.