Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maverick713

macrumors 6502
Jun 14, 2009
Houston, TX
But what I'm saying is there already a retina display in these smaller phones, and they're just as powerful as full size iPads. So it doesn't make sense that they would need an iPad sized battery. They just need a mini sized battery.

the mini sized battery would be less efficient if the current model had a retina display, which is why the full sized ipad with retina was larger than the one without.

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
That premium is due to Google not making a profit, and possibly taking a bit of a loss, on the N7. While Apple could have priced the Mini at 200, it would have made no money from it and that's untenable from a business perspective.

It's really a circle that brings Apple at a disadvantage every way.

Even with the margins for the mini, their stocks are going down because it's nearly 10% less than the other iPad.

So if they priced it at $200, stocks would go down. Articles state that Apple is failing.

Or they price it at $330, stocks go down a bit less, but Apple will be evil.

Again, some very negative feedback both ways.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Weakest to some because of older tech compared to the 3 and 4 BUT most desirable for others because of form factor.

Go figure.

flavr

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
I cant believe people are still responding to this thread (including myself)...for all we know the thread starter is 12 years old. This is simple stuff for a mature person to understand. Increased pixel density requires more power, more power needs a larger source (battery)...

next thread please...

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
I cant believe people are still responding to this thread (including myself)...for all we know the thread starter is 12 years old. This is simple stuff for a mature person to understand. Increased pixel density requires more power, more power needs a larger source (battery)...

next thread please...

These are challenges that should've been addressed when they made the mini. Take the MacBook Air for instance, while it may be thin, if they re release it without a higher resolution. No one is going to have time for that.

The problem with ipad mini is not the non retina display. It's the a5 processor along with 512 ram. End of story.

It only has a A5 processor? Now see, I didn't even know that. All of this is to say that the iPad mini leaves a lot to be desired. It doesn't feel like a mini iPad. With a mini iPad, you should get all-in-one.

Without the retina display and the faster processor, it shouldn't get credit for being an iPad. Just call it a iPod touch XL.

Last edited:

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
I think it's so dumb to proclaim an opinion as if it were fact.

Agreed. Just because you think it is Apple's weakest product doesn't make it so OP. If you don't like the mini, that is fine. Get something that you do like and fits your needs. It is nice to have choices isn't it OP?.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
I own a mini and I think it's great. If it is an iPod Touch XL then the full size one is XXL with retina display. They're all the iPod Touch with _______.

iPhone with retina screen equals battery life much shorter than iPad Mini. Retina needs lots of battery.

Latest & greatest tech jammed into a smaller space should yield highest price (higher than iPad Maxi). Would it be as much of a hit if it was priced higher than the Maxi?

For my purposes, the iPad mini "as is" is excellent. I'd love more ram... but only for more multitasking. I'd love a faster processor though I have yet to feel like it is noticeably slower than the Maxi. Retina is nice but I think the screen is just fine. Would Retina be better? Sure, every better technology they could pack in would be better. Would Retina be better at a higher price? Depends on how much higher (but much higher and it would be why not just buy the Maxi?).

Where you see size as a negative, I see it's very light weight as a positive... a huge positive (a major part of the attraction to this one over the others). Where you see the iPhone as better, I see the mini with VOIP as better (saves about $1000+ per year over owning an iPhone and get just about the same advantages).

To each his own. You don't like it... don't buy it. I don't like iPhone (too small and way too costly in total) and I don't like the Maxi (too large). It's Goldilocks for me.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
But what I'm saying is there already a retina display in these smaller phones, and they're just as powerful as full size iPads. So it doesn't make sense that they would need an iPad sized battery. They just need a mini sized battery.

Did you completely miss my previous post? The retina display in the phone and iPod touch actually have less pixels than the iPad mini. If the mini had a retina display, it'd need a better GPU. If it had a better GPU, it'd need a larger battery. If if had a larger battery it would be thicker and heavier. People wouldn't be buying it like they currently are.

The fact if the matter is that you may not like the mini, but a lot of other people certainly do. That doesn't make it apples weakest product, it just means you don't think it fits your needs.

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
It only has a A5 processor? Now see, I didn't even know that. All of this is to say that the iPad mini leaves a lot to be desired. It doesn't feel like a mini iPad. With a mini iPad, you should get all-in-one.

Without the retina display and the faster processor, it shouldn't get credit for being an iPad. Just call it a iPod touch XL.

what a load of codswallop - we have an ipad 3 in the house and a mini (mine) and the mini is awesome. does all I want, even plays games but the best bit is the size and format are pretty much perfect.

YOU are just antagonistic and this is my last comment in this thread as it seems what ever people say; you will attempt to wind them up with silly statements like the ones above.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I don't own a Mini, but if anything, it might embody the attibutes of a tablet better than a full size iPad.

And this whole Retina thing is getting insanely overblown. I can see wanting the highest PPI possible on a phone which is the tech you have closest to your eyes, but lets turn it down a notch with the "Retina or die" insanity.

The iPad Mini has a 163 PPI, if that is terrible that just about everything Apple makes is worse...

QAQDx.png

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Okay I'm going to lay this topic to rest now. These are some good opinions about the mini. We just gave our thoughts.

Gotta go, it's time for warm chocolate chip cookies!

Last edited:

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
I don't even know why they make 11 inch MacBooks. But hey, Macs are great!

Something about the iPad mini is missing. I mean it's literally a carbon copy of everything else Apple makes. Just a different size.

Does anyone else think that they whipped this up in response to the rumors? It just feels that way.

Oh my God that's what everyone said about the iPad.
"It's just a big iPod touch,give us something original."

Apple making a product in response to rumors??You can not be serious.

----------

Did Apple ever give a reason for not having retina? I mean, retina is like, a no-brainer. It still boggles my mind. You do legitimately feel a difference. I look at the iPad mini as an iPad 1 chopped in half.

And if they come out with a mini 2 with retina, I'm just going to say, "Nope, too late!"

That's the spirit!Put the fear of God in 'em!You go girl!!!

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL

Wow, this is almost sig worthy :D

E.Lizardo

macrumors 68000
May 28, 2008
You really have no clue what you're talking about do you?? You continue to make these types of threads. Myself and plenty of others could go into trying to help you understand how and why you are wrong but it seems that it's a waste of time as you don't seem to won't to learn, just argue your point until you have nothing left to argue.

Never has,never will.

----------

These are challenges that should've been addressed when they made the mini. Take the MacBook Air for instance, while it may be thin, if they re release it without a higher resolution. No one is going to have time for that.

*head explodes*

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I think the iPad mini is Apple's weakest offering. It doesn't live up to the iPad standard because it doesn't have a retina display. It's not as powerful as an iPhone because it isn't small enough.

There's not enough packed into it that makes it a desirable product. It's like most tablets that are release where it's a generation behind from the moment that it's released.

It's on the iPod touch standard now. It's there, but it's just not a flagship product. If you compare it to the Galaxy Note, it's not even as good because it has no calling capabilities.

Sold my Retina iPad 3rd gen to my sister and kept the Mini. It kicks ass.

I think you're wrong... Maybe you shouldn't base your opinion on Specs alone. If anything I would say the Nano is the weakest offering. Priced high, low res screen, no wifi sync.

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I don't own a Mini, but if anything, it might embody the attibutes of a tablet better than a full size iPad.

And this whole Retina thing is getting insanely overblown. I can see wanting the highest PPI possible on a phone which is the tech you have closest to your eyes, but lets turn it down a notch with the "Retina or die" insanity.

The iPad Mini has a 163 PPI, if that is terrible that just about everything Apple makes is worse...

Very interesting table! I understand people can have their own preferences and opinions towards the iPad mini, but I agree in you saying it is getting overblown! Personally, my mini screen looks fantastic. Would a retina screen be nice? Yes! Do I need one for what I use my iPad for? No.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
Sold my Retina iPad 3rd gen to my sister and kept the Mini. It kicks ass.

I think you're wrong... Maybe you shouldn't base your opinion on Specs alone. If anything I would say the Nano is the weakest offering. Priced high, low res screen, no wifi sync.

Wifi sync is worthless.

bonskovsky

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 31, 2012
There you go stating your opinions as facts again.

I've NEVER had an issue with wifi sync, so your "it never works that way" statement is incorrect.

:/ I'be had several iDevices and their cloud is pretty backed up. Even iTabs, doesn't work.

Last edited:

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
:/ I'be had several iDevices and their cloud is pretty backed up. Even iTabs, doesn't work.

I don't use iCloud for much besides contact syncing and a few of my apps that are backed up on there, but it does seem to work. As for iCloud tabs, I think it's working. It isn't a feature I really use.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.