Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
So these enormous phablets are the wave of the future? They're so big you can't fit them in your pocket so an Android maker "innovates" with a small dumb-phone that you can actually fit in your pocket?

Yeah, Apple is doomed! <SARCASM>

Wouldn't it just be easier to make a phone that fits in your pocket...like an iPhone.

Crazy talk, I know.

Boomish69

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
London
If Apple seriously bring out another "s" model they really have lost the plot, it's the no.1 reason why they have lost so much of the smartphone market. Imagine if they had just kept updating the iPhone rather than eeking out these mini upgrades.
side by side the S3 blow the iPhone 5 away..and I hate to say that, they HAVE to bring out a large screen iPhone this year..or they can forget it.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
If Apple seriously bring out another "s" model they really have lost the plot, it's the no.1 reason why they have lost so much of the smartphone market. Imagine if they had just kept updating the iPhone rather than eeking out these mini upgrades.
side by side the S3 blow the iPhone 5 away..and I hate to say that, they HAVE to bring out a large screen iPhone this year..or they can forget it.

In your world Apple has lost marketshare?

And the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor....

idc-130125-2.jpg

trims

macrumors regular
May 11, 2011
Nottingham, UK
For those who don't have to buy every single new phone that they release, then I agree that the S iterations are often a better bet if you want to choose between one or the other. They tend to iron out some of the problems with the new generation.

With the 5S I'm hoping for:
- improved durability of the anodised coating
- greater LTE capability (the 5 can't handle a lot of the LTE networks in place around the world)
- better battery
- redesigns of any of the components that are keeping Apple Genius bars busy (a worthwhile investment to reduce the number of returns)

I'm ambivalent about:
- better camera - I have a DSLR camera for when I want to take good pictures and current pictures are good enough for spontaneous photos

Agree with Moccasin.

- The IP5 case does seem to be fragile, doesn't it? I'd like a LiquidMetal option, even if it came at a premium. I've got a little Sandisk Cruzer flash drive made of the stuff and it is *tough*
- Greater LTE capability would be good, but the sole UK provider's current contract offer is sufficiently unattractive to make me delay
- The current camera is about as good as its going to get in this form factor (and it is very good). Its not about lenses and megapixels - the sensor is simply physically too small because of space constraints

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012

I agree that a larger phone needs to be released since there is a huge market for them. I don't agree that the s 3 is a better phone (quite the opposite actually) but many people like bigger phones, why not give them an iOS option.

SpectatorHere

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2010
Let me get this right; if rumours are to be believed, Samsung will launch the galaxy 4S around march/April with a glorious 5" screen, improved camera, wireless charging, further advanced OS, NFC, eight core processor and no doubt as thin as **** with a host of other goodies. Apples response ... Upgrade the camera!

WTF is going on at Apple. Once an innovative company, these days they can't even innovate a cardboard box (although if they did, they'd prioritise making it so thin it couldn't hold anything, include no lid and charge twice as much for it!)

Seems all Apple are good for these days is bringing out duff, boring products with reduced features ... no doubt as they're too busy resting on their laurels, in court trying to sue others instead of actually designing and bringing out great products

I think this post sums up the problems for Apple. Many people have turned on them.

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
Huh? We don't deal in guarantees here, we deal in rumour and speculation. What bigger phone in 2014?

Multiple sources indicate that one is being designed. My guarantee is based on the assumption that Apple isn't being run by a pack of nitwits. All guarantees void if they actual are nitwits.

----------

I think this post sums up the problems for Apple. Many people have turned on them.

I agree. Some people will complain about Apple no matter what. Also I'm so sick of hearing about NFC. If Apple does release a phone with NFC that same guy will simply complain that Apple is copying off of Google. Guess how many times I've used NFC...zero. Guess how many time i could have used it if only I had a phone with NFC...zero.

jms969

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2010
Not enough for me to replace my Iphone 5. Cmon Apple blow us away, Galaxy S4 rumors are way better. :(

Yup, still using an iPhone 4 here, there is no compelling reason to upgrade to the iPhone 5 or upcoming iPhone 5s. The form factor is wrong (for me) and iOS is getting quite stale.

My upgrade will be to the Galaxy Xs (hopefully x = 4)

That will also mean my next tablet will be a Galaxy Tab...

Last edited:

prizm

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2007
5s the Beginning of the End

:(

If, in fact, Apple decides to ignore the public outcry on the perceived lack of innovation and releases an 5S with a small upgrade to the camera...it is... the beginning of the end. They've lost a good chuck of retail investors in the downward slide of the stock. People can't afford to upgrade for just a new coat of paint, or a more pixels in the on board camera. Lots of Apple fans are over the sluggish advances in the iphone. Slapping a faster processor in the same phone isn't going to cut it. The time is now to skip the "S" cycle and show the world what they're made of.

No more milking the consumer base.

Great companies die all the time for bad planning. Apple is setting the stage for the fall of the century. A nice bucket of cold water in the face is needed.

If Cook holds up a 5S in a product release conference and claims "it's a new revolutionary..blah.. blah... blah." When in fact it's just upgrading a few .25 cent components, that's all she wrote for 2013. The negative spin will be confirmed. The sour grapes on the street will be cast in stone. Forget it. There will be no 2014 for the iphone6. People will of moved on. You can't play games with consumers at this stage in a companies growth cycle. They're at the top of the hill and the downward slope is appearing faster than once imagined.

Last edited:

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
you ppl infuriate me! You're just as frick'n fickle as the idiots we call "analysts". One f'n report comes out with 1 detail about a "possibility" of an upgraded camera. You ppl piss me off! Holy crap look at all you calling burning of apple and their execs. You don't know anything! This is an analyst who gets paid to guess. Well here ya go.

"i think we'll see a minor cpu bump, and upgraded camera and possibly nfc." where's my flip'n 6 figure pay check for being an analist. Seriously ppl, we're months out and your piss'n your pants complaining like the world is going to end and that these are the final specs that are set in stone. Bunch of fools if i've ever seen one. Jump off a cliff will ya.

----------

1... 1 rumor and your all "i'm gona leave". Goodbye.

qft

mrhick01

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2008
I agree. The iPhone 5 is the best phone on the market IMHO; however why ignore that huge part of the market wanting a phablet. I don't want a 5" phone and will never buy one, but Apple is stupid if they don't release a larger option. Nobody ever went broke selling products people wanted to buy.

Having dozens of models and form factors waters down your corporate focus.

When Steve came back to Apple, Apple were making printers, cameras, dozens of product models trying to appeal to different markets (cheap, design, consumer, etc.) They were bleeding money and lacked focus.

It would be a mistake, imo, to make the same mistakes that were made in the Sculley/Spindler/Amelio days, flailing around in the dark. Keep the product lines tight and focused and keep working in the R&D labs and negotiating with content providers to create new avenues to present information/entertainment.

NedBookPro

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2011
and the 4 was way better then the 3GS

the 5 was way better then the 4S
are you serious with your logic or are you that dumb?

Yes I am serious with my logic, and plenty of people agree.
The logic is, if you were going to settle on a "cycle", the S cycle would be the one to be on.

I guess you buy a new phone every 12 months.

You're calling me dumb???

-------------------------------------------------------
You can't talk sense to a fan-boy

mrhick01

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2008
:(

If, in fact, Apple decides to ignore the public outcry on the perceived lack of innovation and releases an 5S with a small upgrade to the camera...it is... the beginning of the end. They've lost a good chuck of retail investors in the downward slide of the stock. People can't afford to upgrade for just a new coat of paint, or a more pixels in the on board camera. Lots of Apple fans are over the sluggish advances in the iphone. Slapping a faster processor in the same phone isn't going to cut it. The time is now to skip the "S" cycle and show the world what they're made of.

No more milking the consumer base.

Great companies die all the time for bad planning. Apple is setting the stage for the fall of the century. A nice bucket of cold water in the face is needed.

If Cook holds up a 5S in a product release conference and claims "it's a new revolutionary..blah.. blah... blah." When in fact it's just upgrading a few .25 cent components, that's all she wrote for 2013. The negative spin will be confirmed. The sour grapes on the street will be cast in stone. Forget it. There will be no 2014 for the iphone6. People will of moved on. You can't play games with consumers at this stage in a companies growth cycle. They're at the top of the hill and the downward slope is appearing faster than once imagined.

I don't understand this mob mentality. Apple has been innovating through their engineering, making their devices smaller and lighter...that is no small feat.

What sort of "great thing" are you looking for that you think will turn around your doldrums? What do you want the phone to be able to do that it currently cannot?

Infinite growth is impossible in a finite world. As the middle classes of China, India and Brazil grow, Apple can work to get into those markets. If Apple can negotiate the content deals, we will probably see something on the TV or set-top box end in the next three years.

----------

Apple forgot completely the Mac Pro.

It has been a blind spot.

Cook has said that there would be a Mac Pro sometime this year. New server processors have rolled out slower than the consumer models, Intel has a virtual monopoly in this space...so they are in no hurry.

They may have "forgot" the market, but can you blame them? They pulled in nearly $55 billion in revenues and over $13 billion in profits! They do not make that kind of money selling Mac Pros (and I own a 2008 and I like Mac Pros!)

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
Having dozens of models and form factors waters down your corporate focus.

When Steve came back to Apple, Apple were making printers, cameras, dozens of product models trying to appeal to different markets (cheap, design, consumer, etc.) They were bleeding money and lacked focus.

It would be a mistake, imo, to make the same mistakes that were made in the Sculley/Spindler/Amelio days, flailing around in the dark. Keep the product lines tight and focused and keep working in the R&D labs and negotiating with content providers to create new avenues to present information/entertainment.

Samsung seems to be thriving doing the very thing you are warning against? If Samsung can do it, then Apple can do it.

mrhick01

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2008

Why? Just because you said so?

As long as Apple makes high-quality products and are very profitable...did Samsung net $13 billion profit from their telephone division?

Focus, a commitment to high quality and the creation of new markets has fueled Apple's growth.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
Sony...ism?

Sony was the leader in tv's and just kind of stagnated and Samsung is cleaning their clock. Apple needs to understand the threat from Samsung. They won't win by suing them. They need to jumpstart the next Iphone.

Futhark

macrumors 65816
Jun 12, 2011
Northern Ireland
It doesn't matter how many megapixels the camera is - the sensor and lens are still tiny. Great for snaps out and about (and obviously social media), but I'm more concerned about things that actually affect userbility, such as screen glare and, cough, iOS.

I totally agree

PS8409

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2013
Legit

I think an ipad 5 with bezzeled edges makes complete sense. I have an ipad 4 and a mini and I used the mini for a few weeks before needing to use the ipad 4 for my games. Games come loaded with graphics and content and the mini just can't keep up with them. They load way too slow on the mini. Once it is upgraded with CPU power it will again take precedence in my lap. But for now, I use it for books and web browsing solely. Actually my wife uses it since we have a 7 month old and she needs the lighter device. The ipad 5 should have shorter edges. The ipad 4 is way too bulky now that ios devices are getting lighter and thinner. Thin it out, boost CPU power if needed, and shorten the edges but don't sacrifice 9.7" display.

As for a bigger iPhone - yeah I am getting frustrated with gaming on the iPhone 5. It needs a bigger screen. But then again, it never gets in my way when I'm using it for GPS and i never have issues getting it out of my pocket. Whenever I want the bigger screen guess what? I grab my ipad! A bigger phone would take away profits from its ipad offerings. Why would apple do that? I hope they don't stoop to only competing. Yeah other devices might have better screens bla bla bla it's the culture of apple that people love. Using their devices to make their lives simpler. I love my Apple TV iPhone ipad and Mac interacting. Now if only they would release the legendary iTV. One day...

mrhick01

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2008
Link: http://www.oregonlive.com/business/index.ssf/2013/01/samsung_reports_massive_fourth.html

Still, Apple's business has been more profitable because of the high price of the iPhone, which generates a larger profit per sales. Samsung, which makes dozens of handset models a year and customizes them for mobile operators, also sells cheaper smartphones and spends about three times more on expenses such as marketing and advertising costs to promote its Galaxy brand phones and televisions.

Counterpoint Research estimates Apple, though it sold fewer handsets than Samsung, took 70 percent of profit in the handset market during the fourth quarter, while the South Korean rival claimed 25 percent.

Marketshare, at times, can be the equivalent of talking loud and saying nothing. Samsung sells 12 million more phones throughout the world, yet has just 25 percent of the smartphone profits. Why would Apple have to make low priced hardware in the name of "competing?" The logic does not follow.

prizm

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2007
Why? Just because you said so?

As long as Apple makes high-quality products and are very profitable...did Samsung net $13 billion profit from their telephone division?

Focus, a commitment to high quality and the creation of new markets has fueled Apple's growth.

It's not because I say so...it's because the chorus of the people is getting louder and louder that the iphone is the same ole same ole. AND when the financial institutions start spreading FUD, granted, to help line their own pockets, then you have to address the situation by mixing it up a bit. Keep the PR engine humming.

Kodak
Microsoft
Sony
Yahoo

Any of those ring a bell? Once the yeee-ha rollercoaster starts cresting the summit and the downside is looming, do you surprise everyone and pull out all the stops or just ride it down the other side and hope for the best? The competition is nipping at the heals of Apple. 12 months before another innovation happens could be 1 year too many. By then the magic is gone - you've lost your fan base. Sure Tim Cook will retire a trillionaire. But the company may be left in tatters with nothing but a fraction of its loyal customers. Hype is everything. Jobs knew this quite well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.