Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

perspectivebass

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
Due to an discount campaing of one of the local stores in the netherlands you get a discount on the stock models of 27" imacs (you dont have to pay 21%VAT) its temporary but the discount is not active on BTO's (or CTO's as they call it).

Now i have to make a CTO for the 680 and want to stay a bit in budget so my config would be

i5 - 8GB RAM - 680MX and 1tb normal HDD.

but this config isn't in discount because it is an BTO. Witch i have to pay 400 euro more for this config.

I play games occasionally and am a pretty heavy Photoshop/illustrator/indesign user.

I searched the forums quite a lot but cant find a clear answer in the performance difference with games and normal work environment.

Read something about only 4FPS difference in heaven benchmark but this could also be driver related so is that really only the difference?

Thanks in advance :)

Tri-stan

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
From what I have read the real world usage for photoshop, illustrator, and indesign will not give you any benifit unless you are using multiple screens. The 675mx benchmarks well and can play all of the games the 680 can just not in ultra settings. People have been quoting for the 680 recently 6800 3dmark score with 675 at 6000.

If you are a pro photoshop user I would invest in ssd disks instead, it is easy to get draw to a gfx when you are on a limited budget. For ssd's I would have one for osx and another for a scratch disk. This would be a great setup for photoshop. I don't know if the i7 helps over the i5 thought.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Well, the question is: what games do you play? If thats nothing fancy (and as you said, you game only occasionally), then I don't think the 680MX is worth such a hefty premium. For professional usage, you won't see any difference. I second Tri-stan with the SSD advice.

perspectivebass

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
Tom's Hardware always has an updated HIERARCHY of the graphics cards available so one can do a basic comparison. Its worth looking at even if it does not give you the detailed percentages.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html
Which store in the Netherlands is offering discounts? I live here too!
;):apple:

Haha the Media Markt :) had the luck to get an imac last Wednesday Topmodel Bad luck it had a broken display (retention). So while i have to wait weil not order an BTO... But well it is 400 euro's...

----------

Well, the question is: what games do you play? If thats nothing fancy (and as you said, you game only occasionally), then I don't think the 680MX is worth such a hefty premium. For professional usage, you won't see any difference. I second Tri-stan with the SSD advice.

Some steam games and maybe in the future Guild Wars 2. SSD above budget at the moment fusion drive is possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.