Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aaronvan

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
República Cascadia
I have an older Mac Mini (Macmini1,1 1GB RAM) running OS X 10.6.8 that I would like to set up as a small hobby server, just running a single web site.

Should I run Apache with the current system? Is it possible to get Snow Leopard Server from an after market provider? Obviously, I can't run anything higher. Any ideas are appreciated.

costabunny

macrumors 68020
May 15, 2008
Weymouth, UK
I would just put a MAMP package on it - Apache, PHP and MySQL.

no need for OS X Server at all for simple webserver.

I assume its for internal use and not for serving up to the public.

Apache on the mac is simple (you can if you want just use the default one that is activated in the sharing settings section), but its half the fun to set it up yourself and learn at least the basics of configuration.

I would think that 1GB Ram should be ok with simple website serving. much more and it may want another meg,

aaronvan

Suspended
Original poster
Dec 21, 2011
República Cascadia
I would just put a MAMP package on it - Apache, PHP and MySQL.

I assume its for internal use and not for serving up to the public.

Apache on the mac is simple (you can if you want just use the default one that is activated in the sharing settings section), but its half the fun to set it up yourself and learn at least the basics of configuration.

I would think that 1GB Ram should be ok with simple website serving. much more and it may want another meg,

It will be a public web site although I don't expect much traffic. I'm basically doing it for my own edification. MAMP looks like a good solution.

You don't need Snow Leopard Server to be able to host a webpage. The version you have installed on there now is able to do that. Use these steps to set it up: http://www.hostmyapple.com/whmcs/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&id=2

Intell, thanks for the link, too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.