Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:16 PM   #1
Heinstar
macrumors newbie

I can't decide between 256GB SSD or Fusion drive for my Mac mini?

I'm planning to order a Mid-model Mac mini that has i7 2.6GHz and 4GB RAM.

I'm going to mostly used it for opening lots of tabs in Google chrome and running Windows 8 Parallel Desktop at the same time. To do this, I need lots of RAM and a SSD.

I going to order 16GB RAM from either crucial.com or macsales.com and install it myself.

But I really don't want to deal with unscrewing the Mac mini and installing the SSD myself so I'm going to pay the premium and buy the SSD straight from Apple. So I have two choices:

#1 Fusion drive(128GB SSD + 1TB HDD)
#2 256GB SSD

I've been debating about this a lot and I still haven't come to conclusion as to which option I should go with. Here's the summary of the advantages and disadvantages of both SSD and Fusion drive that I've learnt so far.

Fusion drive
advantages:
- 1TB of SSD like speed
- I won't have to worry about where to put media files and other large files.

disadvantages:
- 2x failure rate compared to SSD

256GB SSD
advantages:
- double the SSD space than Fusion drive
- less failure rate

disadvantages:
- I'd have to buy external HDD and manually put all my media files and other large files to it.

Both SSD and Fusion drive should last me at least 3 years. And I should be doing backups anyway so I'm not sure if Fusion drive's failure rate will become such a problem. The important thing is, I don't want to deal with opening the Mac mini and installing/replacing the SSD or HDD myself anytime soon.

So which option do you think is better suited for me? I only need the SSD speed boost for faster boot time and quicker Applications like Google chrome and Parallel Desktop. I don't need a fast access to movies, music or pictures.
Heinstar is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > Mac mini