Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:27 AM   #1
jonnyb098
macrumors 6502a

iOS 6.1 beta 4 expiring

Aren't there any developers out there worried their devices are about to be rendered useless in the coming hours? I know you can downgrade but that seems a little counter-productive since devs should be testing on the latest software.

I personally dont have a dev account but just curious thats all. Wondering whats making Apple run up to the last possible second for this release.
jonnyb098 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:33 AM   #2
Mrg02d
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyb098 View Post
Aren't there any developers out there worried their devices are about to be rendered useless in the coming hours? I know you can downgrade but that seems a little counter-productive since devs should be testing on the latest software.

I personally dont have a dev account but just curious thats all. Wondering whats making Apple run up to the last possible second for this release.
Probably new leadership. Apple has undergone radical changes over the past year. I'd wait until they actually allow the beta to expire on the devs before assuming the worst. I highly doubt apple would do this as it would make them look unprepared.
Mrg02d is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:36 AM   #3
Vundu
macrumors 6502a

Will be a release on Monday. If not just downgrade to last full release.

Not really anything to worry about.
Vundu is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:40 AM   #4
jonnyb098
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrg02d View Post
Probably new leadership. Apple has undergone radical changes over the past year. I'd wait until they actually allow the beta to expire on the devs before assuming the worst. I highly doubt apple would do this as it would make them look unprepared.
I agree, so that leads us to believe that the GM or new beta will be released this weekend or early Monday (odd). Cutting it very very close.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vundu View Post
Will be a release on Monday. If not just downgrade to last full release.

Not really anything to worry about.
I know its possible to downgrade. Just trying to make the point that there are plenty of large developers that will no doubt be forced to downgrade dozens of devices if Apple misses their deadline. Kind of a big deal for large developers.
jonnyb098 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:44 AM   #5
Mrg02d
Banned

Also keep in mind that unless apple signed a contract with the European lte markets as to when they would have a working update, apple could always just be late in releasing...Its not unheard of to be late...
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:53 AM   #6
Vundu
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I agree, so that leads us to believe that the GM or new beta will be released this weekend or early Monday (odd). Cutting it very very close.

----------

I know its possible to downgrade. Just trying to make the point that there are plenty of large developers that will no doubt be forced to downgrade dozens of devices if Apple misses their deadline. Kind of a big deal for large developers.
Or just wait till the next beta or GM that will be out before they expire.

No reason to worry or panic yet.
Vundu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:30 PM   #7
!GS51!
macrumors regular

Any news from developers on this forum about a beta or anything ? i mean their devices will become unusable until another beta is released or a GM.
BlackBerry Z10
!GS51! is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:33 PM   #8
mduser63
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to mduser63
If the beta did expire, it wouldn't be the first time. At some point in the past (possibly during the iOS 2 betas?) the beta expired and Apple didn't release a new one for a day or two. Of course a bunch of people complained that Apple had left them without a usable device, but there's a reason Apple has always been very clear that beta OS version should only be used on devices dedicated to development and testing.
mduser63 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:43 PM   #9
Mrg02d
Banned

Seeing as they are supposed to be building lte support for European markets, they may have run into a snag that they need to fix first.
Mrg02d is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 01:43 PM   #10
Am3r1ca16
macrumors 6502a

when does the beta expire? the minute its 12:00am monday morning?
Am3r1ca16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:00 PM   #11
Vundu
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Am3r1ca16 View Post
when does the beta expire? the minute its 12:00am monday morning?
Think it is as soon as it ticks over to Tuesday so you will get all day Monday.
Vundu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:01 PM   #12
cdcdoc
macrumors member

How do you know?

Quote:
cdcdoc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:48 PM   #13
kevpan815
Banned

Send a message via MSN to kevpan815
Thumbs down

Quote:

I called Apple Developer Support Yesterday and they actually told me to Down Grade my IOS Devices A.S.A.P. as they said we (ADC Members) may NOT be getting another Beta/GM Seed before Apple IOS 6.1 Beta 4 Expires on Monday!

----------

Quote:
NOT TRUE, It expires @ 0:00 GMT Monday, which is Sunday 16:00 Cupertino Time Zone!

Last edited by kevpan815; Jan 26, 2013 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Error as to when IOS 6.1 Beta 4 Really Expires.
kevpan815 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:25 PM   #14
ethana
Banned

Quote:
I called Apple Developer Support Yesterday and they actually told me to Down Grade my IOS Devices A.S.A.P. as they said we (ADC Members) may NOT be getting another Beta/GM Seed before Apple IOS 6.1 Beta 4 Expires on Monday!
Sounds like they have a bunch of morons running the dev department. This is going to affect ten of thousands of people in a very bad way.... the people Apple should care about the most.
ethana is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:32 PM   #15
PNutts
macrumors 601

Quote:
No reason to worry or panic yet.
Worry yes. Panic no.
PNutts is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:42 PM   #16
Saberon
macrumors 6502a

I don't get what the commotion is all about. If you're "smart" enough to install the 4th beta, you're smart enough to downgrade before it expires.
Saberon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:43 PM   #17
Mrg02d
Banned

Ouch, they told you to downgrade because they are going to let the beta expire? They must be planning to just release the public version then with no GM in between. There are probably bugs related to LTE that they dont need us for...Or maybe they found some exploit that isnt a simple fix?

This is getting interesting!
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:48 PM   #18
JCCL
macrumors 6502

The easiest way to downgrade, download iOS 6.02 ipsw (or iOS 6.0.1 for devices other than iPhone 5 or iPad Mini) and save it in your hard drive. Open iTunes and connect your device.

Once connected, select shift and upgrade, and select iOS 6.02 ipsw you downloaded. Since 6.1 is a newer version I didn't think it would let me "upgrade" to an older version, but to my surprise it did. It finished and kept all my info.

So no need to restore, DFU, or anything. I just did a "reset all settings" after it finished to eliminate any conflict that mights have created by downgrading from the beta, this way I get to keep all my info and app setting but the OS resets itself.

This process took around 10 minutes on my iPhone 5!

Last edited by JCCL; Jan 26, 2013 at 05:35 PM.
JCCL is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 05:06 PM   #19
Mateo97120
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCCL View Post
The easiest way to downgrade, download iOS 6.02 ipsw and save it in your hard drive. Open iTunes and connect your device.

Once connected, select shift and upgrade, and select iOS 6.02 ipsw you downloaded. I didn't think that would work as 6.1 is a new version and it wouldn't "upgrade" to a newer version, but to my surprise it did. It finished and kept all my info.

So no need to restore, DFU, or anything. I just did a reset all settings after it finish to eliminate any conflict that mights have created by downgrading from the beta, this way I get to keep all my info and app setting but the OS resets itself.

It's right, same process for me on my 4S going back to 6.0.1
Mateo97120 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 05:07 PM   #20
kevpan815
Banned

Send a message via MSN to kevpan815
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCCL View Post
The easiest way to downgrade, download iOS 6.02 ipsw and save it in your hard drive. Open iTunes and connect your device.

Once connected, select shift and upgrade, and select iOS 6.02 ipsw you downloaded. I didn't think that would work as 6.1 is a new version and it wouldn't "upgrade" to a newer version, but to my surprise it did. It finished and kept all my info.

So no need to restore, DFU, or anything. I just did a reset all settings after it finish to eliminate any conflict that mights have created by downgrading from the beta, this way I get to keep all my info and app setting but the OS resets itself.

Keep in mind however that IOS 6.0.2 is for the IPhone 5 and IPad Mini Only! Everything else (like my 2 4th Generation IPod Touches) are still Apple IOS 6.0.1, Just FYI
kevpan815 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 05:24 PM   #21
blackburn
macrumors 6502a

Why not change the date?
Old Jan 26, 2013, 05:32 PM   #22
JCCL
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevpan815 View Post
Keep in mind however that IOS 6.0.2 is for the IPhone 5 and IPad Mini Only! Everything else (like my 2 4th Generation IPod Touches) are still Apple IOS 6.0.1, Just FYI
Well that should work with 6.0.1 too! Only have iPhone 5 to test at the moment, forgot the other devices didn't get this update.
JCCL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:23 PM   #23
pugnut
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackburn View Post
Why not change the date?
Changed the date on a development device to Feb 10 and no issues. Had betas expire in the past, but maybe the date is not accurate.
pugnut is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:36 PM   #24
drakestan
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethana View Post
Sounds like they have a bunch of morons running the dev department. This is going to affect ten of thousands of people in a very bad way.... the people Apple should care about the most.
You chose to play with a BETA that is in no means permanent, nor is an upgrade obliged. You are expected to know how to downgrade through the iOS dev center. If not, you shouldn't be tinkering with betas.
drakestan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:03 PM   #25
DMaki650
macrumors regular

iOS 6.1 Beta 5 apparently has just been released.

http://9to5mac.com/2013/01/26/apple-...nd-ipod-touch/
DMaki650 is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6