Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ScubaCinci

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
OH
I will actually be out in the wild this eve so I'll try again when the signal improves. Of course, today the network is going to be clogged with everyone like me running speed tests and surfing the LTE highway :D

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
I will actually be out in the wild this eve so I'll try again when the signal improves. Of course, today the network is going to be clogged with everyone like me running speed tests and surfing the LTE highway :D

So true. I'm hoping for at least 12 or more down and 4 or more up at the vary least.

ScubaCinci

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
OH
Ok the best I got tonight was in TriCounty (275 & 75 intersection). Average was around 8 down and 4 up.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 2,336

SheepNutz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Kantuckee
Ok the best I got tonight was in TriCounty (275 & 75 intersection). Average was around 8 down and 4 up.

Since I live well south of Cincinnati (in the land of EDGE), I didn't get to try out the LTE on my phone until I went up to Ludlow yesterday. I found out that the LTE service goes as far south as Walton, KY. Just south of Walton, where it was HSPA+, I did a speed test (all these were done in a moving vehicle, not sure if that has an effect on anything) and got 2.65Mb down and 1.14Mb up. Once I hit LTE in Walton, I got 25Mb down and 5.91Mb up! Once I hit Florence though, the speed had dropped to 11Mb down and 4Mb up.

Iphone5preorder

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2012
Whoa, they threw the switch on Seattle? Cool... course I'm still not sure that will benefit me. Technically I'm just north of Seattle so if it's just in the city I'm probably only going to get to experience it sometimes (I don't go into the city that much). Still, it means more chance I'll at least get a chance to see how good it is (at least before I visit my parents in Atlanta cause it appears their map says Atlanta has LTE now).

"Update 12:42 p.m.: I just talked with Mike Maxwell, AT&T vice president and general manager for the Pacific Northwest. I asked him what geographic area is covered when AT&T says its LTE network is now live in Seattle. He says that, in addition to the Seattle core, the following areas now also have AT&T LTE coverage:
Bellevue
Bothell
Burien
Covington
Des Moines
Everett
Issaquah
Kent
Kirkland
Lynnwood
Mercer island
Mountlake Terrace
Redmond
Renton
Sammamish
SeaTac
Shoreline
Shorewood
Tukwila
Woodinville"

Source -Seattle times

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Since I live well south of Cincinnati (in the land of EDGE), I didn't get to try out the LTE on my phone until I went up to Ludlow yesterday. I found out that the LTE service goes as far south as Walton, KY. Just south of Walton, where it was HSPA+, I did a speed test (all these were done in a moving vehicle, not sure if that has an effect on anything) and got 2.65Mb down and 1.14Mb up. Once I hit LTE in Walton, I got 25Mb down and 5.91Mb up! Once I hit Florence though, the speed had dropped to 11Mb down and 4Mb up.
That's not too bad.

ScubaCinci

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
OH
Wow, thanks for posting. That's a big difference within a relatively small area. I work in Taylor Mill so I'm curious to see what I get there although because of my Achilles surgery, I'll be working from home until the end of Oct. :(

Neverbepeace

macrumors 6502a
Jan 14, 2009
New York
Hey Guys,
Has anyone heard when AT&T is going to light up Long Island, New York area? I know they have in 5 boroughs of NYC and heard they will complete by end of year but we were not on AT&T list for by end of 2012.

I heard 2nd half of 2012......should of been live already....:confused:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Definitely doubled the amount of 4G LTE cities but they have got to do that at least 50 more times to catch up to where they should be.

matty.p

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
Portland, OR
Definitely doubled the amount of 4G LTE cities but they have got to do that at least 50 more times to catch up to where they should be.

Is it just a different way of counting though. I noticed above ATT lists Seattle but it's really Seattle and 10 suburbs of Seattle. Does Verizon just count 'cities' differently than ATT?

For example I live in Chula Vista a suburb of San Diego which isn't listed on ATT's site but I'm still getting LTE even on the fringes of town.

christophermdia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2008
I might have stayed with them if they had done this before the iphone 5 came out, but switched to verizon.....still happy witht he decision as I travel a lot and Verizon LTE is everywhere I go....even internationally....

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
"Update 12:42 p.m.: I just talked with Mike Maxwell, AT&T vice president and general manager for the Pacific Northwest. I asked him what geographic area is covered when AT&T says its LTE network is now live in Seattle. He says that, in addition to the Seattle core, the following areas now also have AT&T LTE coverage:
Bellevue
Bothell
Burien
Covington
Des Moines
Everett
Issaquah
Kent
Kirkland
Lynnwood
Mercer island
Mountlake Terrace
Redmond
Renton
Sammamish
SeaTac
Shoreline
Shorewood
Tukwila
Woodinville"

Source -Seattle times

And I can verify Lynnwood and Everett have it. Been having consistant LTE coverage since I got my 5 :).

They managed to cover most of the major area of population west of the Cascades (and west of the cascades is where most of Washington state's population is concentrated on). Poor Tacoma and Olympia though, no one cares about them :p:D.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 4, 2009
Trying to get a better picture of where LTE is in the Detroit area. I haven't strayed far from home yet. I am definitely on the edge. It works at my house near 23 mile and 94, but as you travel north or west along 23 mile it gets weaker. I'm guessing the cutoff is M59 and I'm just lucky to be close to both that and I-94 so it works. My worst down was 6 and my best was 22. My worst up was 3 (at the same time as the 6 in a spot with only 2 bars) and my best up was 16. Usually around 12-15 down and the same up. Very happy with it. My wife, who has been rolling her eyes at me talking about LTE lately, says "My email loads a lot faster on this new phone." :D

JSUDaniel

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2008
Great to see another Huntsvillian on here! :) I really hate to give up the unlimited data, but it annoys me the dead spots around Whitesburg Drive near the AT&T store/Publix/Chick-fil-a area, as well as the dead spot over in the area near Huntsville Hospital. It isn't something that is just urgent that I need service over there, but I don't get why the service right outside their AT&T store would be so horrible! Makes no sense!

I'll be trying out Verizon as of Friday as a test using a new phone # (not committing to it yet). I can keep you posted on how well it works in comparison. I'm not cancelling my AT&T number until I see how Verizon performs in the areas I frequent. I do find it interesting that the "cellreception" website ranks Verizon highest and that AT&T is in last place (even behind Sprint, T-Mobile, and Nextel)! Shocking!

Definitely, nice to see another Huntsvillian! Let me know how Verizon works out for you.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 4, 2009
Update on the reach of Detroit LTE. It worked all the way across M59 to I75 and up to Great Lakes Crossing. One strange thing though, at my office near the mall, I am getting 15 down, 1 up. :confused:

southwos

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2008
Huntsville, AL
Definitely, nice to see another Huntsvillian! Let me know how Verizon works out for you.

I'm a Huntsvillian and received a letter from AT&T thanking me for being a long time customer. They went on to say that they would be rolling out more upgraded service across Alabama in the near future. I can't wait, I just hope they don't try to revoke any grandfathered unlimited data plans as a way to keep usage down.

mzd

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
LTE just turned on in Madison, WI! Madison wasn't even on AT&T's roadmap and their coverage maps don't show it either.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.9 KB · Views: 70

ref26

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
LTE just turned on in Madison, WI! Madison wasn't even on AT&T's roadmap and their coverage maps don't show it either.

Yep, I was able to pick up LTE by both the East Town and West Town malls yesterday, but not getting it at my home near Verona or my job near the airport yet.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    184.7 KB · Views: 74

nancyfromafrica

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2012
Johannesburg
It looks like 2013 could be the year of LTE for AT&T. The carrier just announced a deal with Verizon Wireless that would allow it to acquire Verizon’s 700 MHz spectrum. Through this acquisition, AT&T will provide LTE coverage to 42 million people across 18 states in North America, the carrier said in a statement on Friday.

These states include California, Colorado, Florida, Idaho, Illinois, Louisiana, Montana, New Mexico, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, and Wyoming. AT&T has just acquired these licenses for $1.9B from Verizon.

kevink2

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2008
It looks like 2013 could be the year of LTE for AT&T. The carrier just announced a deal with Verizon Wireless that would allow it to acquire Verizon’s 700 MHz spectrum. Through this acquisition, AT&T will provide LTE coverage to 42 million people across 18 states in North America, the carrier said in a statement on Friday.

This may be fine. But does the iPhone support this band on ATT? Or is this something that we have to wait on an upgraded phone for?

Too bad we have exceeded the capacity of the basic bands already. It was easier when we only had a couple bands to worry about. And another 2 if you wanted to visit Europe.

PharmDoc

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2010

These states include California, Colorado, Florida, Idaho, Illinois, Louisiana, Montana, New Mexico, New York, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Washington, and Wyoming. AT&T has just acquired these licenses for $1.9B from Verizon.

Nice! I was waiting for this deal to happen. I know it's not great for consumers but hopefully it brings better LTE speeds to SoCal for AT&T customers.

The Fenix

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2013
Huntsville AL

So I spoke with a tech at At&T about when LTE was coming to Huntsville. I was told on April 29th the tower I was currently on which was in the dug hill rd area near 72 would be turn on to 4G LTE as well as several others in the Huntsville area. So I'm not holding breath but for me, if its not on then, Im going to verizon!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.