Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
How good is iPad 4 for taking abroad as well as on train journeys etc?

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Very good ...

Just make sure you can recharge when abroad; else it's a nice companion for short and long journeys.

The question is a bit generic; any more details to share ?

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
Very good ...

Just make sure you can recharge when abroad; else it's a nice companion for short and long journeys.

The question is a bit generic; any more details to share ?

Thanks. I'm having trouble deciding whether to get the 4 or the mini. I won't be using it at home much. More for when away from home.

Tsepz

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
Thanks. I'm having trouble deciding whether to get the 4 or the mini. I won't be using it at home much. More for when away from home.

You will love the iPad4's huge Retina Display then for when you are way from home, it makes watching high quality movies, reading books, magazines and newspaper an absolute pleasure. :) it also possesses what is currently the most powerful Graphics chip found in a mobile device so gaming is also well catered for, all in all the best all round tablet I would say.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本

If you are to limited in space I would say go with iPad 4.

Watch out with GPS if you would need. The Wifi only device don't have GPS build in; so if that is required you would need an iPad with 3G or LTE.

And believe me, you will use your iPad a home. So much more convenient to carry around. :)

Samtb

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 6, 2013
If you are to limited in space I would say go with iPad 4.

Watch out with GPS if you would need. The Wifi only device don't have GPS build in; so if that is required you would need an iPad with 3G or LTE.

And believe me, you will use your iPad a home. So much more convenient to carry around. :)

Really? Most laptops are more powerful than an iPad so I would have thought people would use the ipad less at home unless its for reading or light web browsing.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Really? Most laptops are more powerful than an iPad so I would have thought people would use the ipad less at home unless its for reading or light web browsing.

Reading, email, web, twitter, FB ... I would say 70% to 80% of home dektop/laptop owner could survive with iPad only. Enough power for the tasks.

My wife use my "old" MBP mainly for Safari and Twitter. iPad next time for her.
Myself too: most email send from iPad, most surfing too. Photo post processing, FCP, blender, Xcode, iWorks remain on the Macs.

It depend on your use case, all I want to say an iPad in house will not be idle.

MusicEnthusiast

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
Los Angeles
I took my recently-bought iPad 4 abroad to Japan for the holidays.

My experience was so-so. I have the WiFi only version, so that severely limited how I was able to use it on the go. WiFi in Japan is quite hard to find, but in offline mode, I got to game and jam out to tunes on the long train rides. Ended up passing through 100 levels on Unblock Me and can beat the advanced difficulty on Cribbage Pro most of the time. lol

But in all honesty, depending on where you go, I'd say either iPad would do you well. My iPad 4 didn't feel clunky or too large at all. It was very lightweight in my backpack. The Mini would just take portability to the next level.

I don't have much to say about LTE models, because I don't use a data plan for anything else other than my prepaid phone. Good luck with your purchase!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.