Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

barkmonster

macrumors 68020
Dec 3, 2001
Lancashire
Fortunately for Apple the amount of these users is relatively small, and many of them still buy the latest iPhone after ranting about what a disappointment it was :)

----------

The tricky thing about more memory is the fact that Apple is trying to push it's cloud services - In Apple's perfect world everyone would use iCloud and iTunes match, only having to store their apps locally.

I don't like where this cloud concept is going. It's assuming people have 24/7 access to high bandwidth WiFi or that the data allowance on their phone contract would cover it no matter where they happen to be at the time.

I like the idea of having enough onboard storage so I can have all the albums I own permanently on my iPhone and enough space to expand in the future.

My music folder is currently just over the 100Gb mark so a 128Gb iPhone would suit me down to the ground.

This is music alone because I like a lot of EDM stuff and it's usually either individual tracks of around 6 - 10 minutes, DJ sets that can span for hours or rock albums like "Dark Side of the Moon" that can only really be appretiated as they were originally intended.

jvmxtra

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2010
I thought the rumors were that we were getting 3 iPhones this year. One has 4.8 inch screen. Then there is the iPhone 5S and then the emerging markets phone for India, China and Brazil to compete with the low end Android phones.

One of those should be right for you, no?

yes, I should be happy w/ 4.8 inch iphone.. but what if they only come out w/ iphone 5s dud? Then what? And October for me does not work. ONe freaking phone coming out once a year is not enough.. No wonder stock is taking a sizable hit.. They need to wake up those iphone team at apple from 6 month hiatus and get busy.. oh man... did I say 6 month? I mean to say 1 year hiatus at a time since it doesn't take long for them to make a new iphone.

----------

If iphone 5s comes out in oct(and that is the only phone out and there is no change in size upwards(meaning if they don't offer multiple size), trust me it will get hit even harder than this time.

SURELY, people at apple is taking a notice and SURELY they are about to do something they haven't done in 3 years. some freaking WORK.

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
Siri is a major fail.

No one uses it. It's a toy.

I use it all the time. Certainly I'm not the only one. Why would Samsung include a knockoff of the feature on each of their new phones if it wasn't being used? Why is Blackberry introducing their own version?

agaytime

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2013
That sounds like a good move. Apple might finally catch up to the competition, camera-wise, with a new CCD.

what do you mean by Apple finally catching up to competition. As far as I know iphone5's camera is one of the BEST phone cameras out there.

----------

Siri is a major fail.

No one uses it. It's a toy.

so because you dont use it it's a fail. Let me tell you Im pretty sure there are more people who use it than S(uck)-voice.

----------

Its not necessarily samsung that is so innovative its google and android that are innovative. At this moment ICS and JB are miles ahead of ios6. Btw I find a big screen to be pretty innovative and a small screen a sign of playing it safe and conservative. And I also believe that smartphone are now at the same stage as desktop and laptops are. Improvements are incremental and not revolutionary.

As it is now, Timmy really needs to do something bold and completely start from scratch with ios7.

Puh-lease ! 3 ICS phones and now I'm happily attached to an iphone 5. Big screen sucks when you go out cuz all you do is to babysit it.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
After having used the Lumia 920, I can honestly say that an improved camera on the iPhone would certainly be welcome. It's one of those things I didn't feel I cared about until I used it. Unfortunately with that specific device, software issues forced me to return it. From what I read, they have been ironed out, so I might just pick one up off contract again and see how I like it.

agaytime

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2013
:(

If, in fact, Apple decides to ignore the public outcry on the perceived lack of innovation and releases an 5S with a small upgrade to the camera...it is... the beginning of the end. They've lost a good chuck of retail investors in the downward slide of the stock. People can't afford to upgrade for just a new coat of paint, or a more pixels in the on board camera. Lots of Apple fans are over the sluggish advances in the iphone. Slapping a faster processor in the same phone isn't going to cut it. The time is now to skip the "S" cycle and show the world what they're made of.

No more milking the consumer base.

Great companies die all the time for bad planning. Apple is setting the stage for the fall of the century. A nice bucket of cold water in the face is needed.

If Cook holds up a 5S in a product release conference and claims "it's a new revolutionary..blah.. blah... blah." When in fact it's just upgrading a few .25 cent components, that's all she wrote for 2013. The negative spin will be confirmed. The sour grapes on the street will be cast in stone. Forget it. There will be no 2014 for the iphone6. People will of moved on. You can't play games with consumers at this stage in a companies growth cycle. They're at the top of the hill and the downward slope is appearing faster than once imagined.

nobody asks you to upgrade everytime a new iphone comes out. Why dont you preach to the ANdroid fan boys who buy every new ANdroid phone that promises no lags.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
nobody asks you to upgrade everytime a new iphone comes out. Why dont you preach to the ANdroid fan boys who buy every new ANdroid phone that promises no lags.

Seriously? You (tried to go there? I think it's pretty hard to argue that a far higher percentage of iOS users are yearly upgrades than the same Android group. The person you quoted isn't even arguing this in the first place?

BeardedOrc

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2011
Another thing for Apple to think about too is once a customer breaks out from iPhone, it'll be harder to reel him/her back in to Apples ecosystem as Macs don't play as nice with Android.

I started using Macs on the first week they switched to Intel processors, had the first iPhone on the day it came out and its every iteration...

I finally gave in to GS3 from iP4s due primarily to wanting a bigger screen. It was a purely hardware choice as I didn't really want to stray away from Apple ecosystem. It was a rough 3-4 weeks of adjustment and frustration. Then I eventually learned Android, saw its advantages and disadvantages. Now I'm not even sure if I'll comeback to iOS even with a bigger screen. Also thinking moving back to Windows with my next computer purchase as I don't get any advantage now with my phone while using a Mac. I was an Apple convert, probably for life, until they didn't gave me enough choices.

I'm just a speck from their millions of customer base but I wonder how many Apple fans ended up just like me... They not only lost an iPhone customer but a possible Mac computer customer too. We'll see how they play it out.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
I personally think some of this is a fad and Apple's mo is not to chase fads.
I think you're silly to believe larger phones aren't desired and it's a fad. I believe the massively oversized phones (larger than 5") may be, but I believe larger 4.5"-5" phones will be the the norm in the near future. I believe the slow down of iPhone sales supports this theory. I have no desire to use a different manufacturers phone, but I would like a larger iPhone option (don't worry, there's room for a 3.5", 4" and 4+" iPhone).

William, when you finally finish middle school someday and become slightly more mature in life, you will find out that you care more of utility and what works for you as supposed to fitting in to a clique. Apparently, some bigger phones work for some other people needs and that's why they use them.
Agree.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Phone contract ends this November.

How the heck do you people endure 2-year contracts? :confused:

Well, technically, I could pay to recontract early, but the iphone5 wasn't that big of a deal vs my 4s. Think I can comfortably wait to see what they introduce at the end of the year.

gatortpk

macrumors 6502
Nov 25, 2003
Melbourne, FL
I guess it'll take 4K "super-HD" videos?

13 MPixel sensor would be perfect for that! 4:3 ratio snapshots would be a tad over 4096X3072 which is just over 12.5 million pixels. 16:9 ratio video would use 4096X2304 (or 3840X2160).

It fits! Combine that with the new HEVC (new video compression standard) and 128 GB storage, it would be great for still more than 10 hours of Quad Full HD Video!

The A6 can handle it fine anyway, but a quad-core variant would be perfect at 22 nm (or 28 nm).

This would be just in time for Apple's new 4K Retina displays, or just a 4K iTV. (I'm not saying that a 4K recording by an iPhone is ideal but at least it would be likely consumer's first 4K source!)

----------

Phone contract ends this November.

How the heck do you people endure 2-year contracts? :confused:

Well, technically, I could pay to recontract early, but the iphone5 wasn't that big of a deal vs my 4s. Think I can comfortably wait to see what they introduce at the end of the year.

The iPhone 5 wasn't a big enough upgrade?

I've had both the 4S and the 5. I think it's the best upgrade yet. The perfect color IPS display, 16:9 ratio, thinner, and the best part/upgrade -- 2.5 TIMES Faster A6 CPU!

HurryKayne

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
If iOS 7 required a quad core processor, then it wouldn't work on any previous device.

Ios 7 will support it,but it will still support A5,A6 ..maybe it will lose A4 ..i hope not,my Iphone4 still rocks,
Then..if with A6 dual core we have up to 64 voices in Igrand,Cubasis and i suppose Garage Band as well,then with a 28nm A7 Quad core we could cross or even meet the 128!??
This would be a very good news for me and maybe we will start to see Absynth or Kontakt coming under our pockets,jacket,arms:D.
I think A7 will seriously get the chance start cannibalizing MacBook Air sales..,thats why i hope to see an Haswell Quad Core within it^^.

Last edited:

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
I know it's pretty much taboo to be saying something like this on this forum, but I can't escape the feeling; Apple, if you aren't quite at the point of your next "breakthrough" device or what have you, get your rear in gear and re-design something. Whether it be software or hardware based doesn't really matter. The iPhone has been the same brick for five years now. iOS has been the same block of icons for the same; one or the other needs a huge change. Incremental stuff here and there just isn't enough anymore. Get radical, get creative.

The iMac and R-MBP was a good start, but both fall short. Everything still has the same basic design it did five years ago. Details have been constantly changing for the most part, but the iMac still has the same basic design as the G5 version FFS. The Mac Pro, even worse. The mini, again, did have somewhat of a redesign, but it's still pretty much the same thing made thinner, just like the iMac and MBP.

Software-wise; I'll be frank, I don't care at all for the way the entire industry is heading with their OS's. But both of Apple's could use quite a reboot if they want to stay relevant. At one time, both were astounding and, dare I say, revolutionary. That is almost certainly no longer true. They've fallen into the same "rinse and repeat" pattern as their hardware. It just isn't enough, period.

No, I don't have any ideas for what they could do to attain these feats; design is not my strong point. But this is not the Apple I knew, they aren't pushing (or more accurately, ripping) the envelope as they once did. It's almost as if as soon as the iPhone exploded, they decided to play it safe to protect their cash cow, and adopt the same measures for all their products.

Perhaps I'm wrong, perhaps Apple has found the perfect designs for their products; that there is no way they could be done better for the majority of their customers. But seriously, does anyone here really believe that? I want the old Apple back; the one that redefined our expectations of what technology could be and do on a near constant-basis.

I just can't shake the feeling Apple's best days are behind them, and all we can truly expect is the slow slide to the bottom.

MoreAwesomeDanU

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2010
Wow October release? So no new apple toy until later half of the year, when google could be releasing the next nexus in a few month. Their stock isn't gonna do very well...

Suede2013

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2013
I would have bought an ip5 if
- its as thick as the ip4s but using the space for battery
- has the same display as the 4s
I don't like phablets but the ip5 is the 1st ugly iphone (esp. in white). It looks like a cheap china version of bigger screen phones and cripples the backward compability of ips. Money is ready but after more than 10 years all signs are pointing towards a backswitch (without dvd/blueray no mac for personal use as long as I collect cds and renting a br is faster than download). I dont like the idea of buying a phone that looks like vintage after two weeks of normal use in my pocket and blocks apps that could show nude for some 10% more money.
In germany it seems like apple becomes the gucci-phone and I know a lot of tech-people making the backswitch. In my 100k people tech-company iphone ownage drops dramatically in the last 12 months since i joined that company. And this happened in my last company, too.

SeaFox

macrumors 68030
Jul 22, 2003
Somewhere Else
Here's an artist's rendition of what the iPad will look like with a tiny bezel.

Notice how your thumbs cover the screen?

Whoever did that is a long way from being able to call themselves an "artist".

Also, who holds their tablet like they're driving a car?
(in this orientation, I mean -- obviously if I was playing a racing game it would be landscape, and I'd have areas to hold then)

NedBookPro

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2011
It's not because I say so...it's because the chorus of the people is getting louder and louder that the iphone is the same ole same ole. AND when the financial institutions start spreading FUD, granted, to help line their own pockets, then you have to address the situation by mixing it up a bit. Keep the PR engine humming.

Kodak
Microsoft
Sony
Yahoo

Any of those ring a bell? Once the yeee-ha rollercoaster starts cresting the summit and the downside is looming, do you surprise everyone and pull out all the stops or just ride it down the other side and hope for the best? The competition is nipping at the heals of Apple. 12 months before another innovation happens could be 1 year too many. By then the magic is gone - you've lost your fan base. Sure Tim Cook will retire a trillionaire. But the company may be left in tatters with nothing but a fraction of its loyal customers. Hype is everything. Jobs knew this quite well.

Amen. I think you put all your arguments together very well.

The chorus of discontent is getting louder and louder, and I know all my daughter's friends are buzzing over samsung, where previously they were on apple.

Trouble is, especially around here (any apple forum), people just refuse to see or believe it. Eventually critical mass will shift.

Apple really need to pull something out of the hat. It's just getting stale.
I'm happy to keep my 4S until either they come up with something worthwhile, or until I feel like giving someone like samsung a go.

Hmm maybe even ubuntu phone.

Boomish69

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
London
In your world Apple has lost marketshare?

And the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor....

Can you actually read? samsung grew by over 129%, Apples growth fell, overall Smartphone sales are booming, yes they lost market share! Besides which the point is still valid, apple are stagnating over the iPhone design and these results would be a lot different had they continued to develop.

----------

I agree that a larger phone needs to be released since there is a huge market for them. I don't agree that the s 3 is a better phone (quite the opposite actually) but many people like bigger phones, why not give them an iOS option.

yes the phone is more than just looks, and I would never buy a Samsung out of sheer principle, but I have to admit side by side it looks a much better designed phone. Maybe not for everyone but I didn' realise how good it was until I help both side by side. As for the iPhone 5 I was very disappointed in it, hence I have stuck with my 4 until there is something worth upgrading too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.