Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:56 PM   #26
garylapointe
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dXTC View Post
Got this for my new iPhone 5. I'll have to get used to the onscreen joystick; it's not as instantly responsive as playing MAME OS X using an actual keyboard. Still, it's nice for casual retro gaming on the go.
I wonder if this would work with the keyboard (bluetooth).

Gary
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:02 PM   #27
kylera
macrumors 6502a

On an aside, how do you pronounce MAME? Like "maim" or like "mah-meh"?
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:06 PM   #28
lunaoso
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by dXTC View Post
Got this for my new iPhone 5. I'll have to get used to the onscreen joystick; it's not as instantly responsive as playing MAME OS X using an actual keyboard. Still, it's nice for casual retro gaming on the go.
I've noticed that as well. Seems like it almost drags it in the wrong direction too. Still pretty cool though.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:21 PM   #29
msandersen
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to msandersen
Nice! Installed it! My iPhone is getting pretty full though, but will try a couple of games one at a time just for the novelty value.
msandersen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:56 PM   #30
dtechlogic
macrumors regular

Nice, I like it just transfer my mame 32 collection and it is working awesome. Will it read the CHD files. I have those game files. like Killer Instinct II. I have the collection of MAMe, SEGA, SNES, NES.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:18 AM   #31
ksgant
macrumors 6502a

So...how do you get ROMS into the game?

Nevermind. Have to use iExplorer...as it says in the article. I didn't know what that was and was unfamiliar with it.

2011 16gig iPhone 4s
2012 16gig iPad "3rd Generation"
2012 27" iMac i5 w/16Gigs of RAM

Last edited by ksgant; Jan 27, 2013 at 02:23 AM.
ksgant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:36 AM   #32
asiga
macrumors regular

I hope the mobile OS scene will finish soon, as there isn't one that really cares for users. Android is just scary: why antiviruses are recommended on an OS derived from Linux is beyond logic: they took Linux and "evolved" it towards Windows 95 class security. OTOH, iOS has the security that Android should have, but unfortunately the iOS security is driven not by users convenience, but by Apple convenience: approval on the AppStore is done on the basis of what Apple likes, not what users want.

Fortunately, we're quickly arriving to a moment where new released tablets can run complete OSs, such as complete Windows8, and Linux, so we can finally use mobile devices that have adequate security, aren't limited on features, and have a long time evolution. The sad point is I don't see Apple releasing an OSX tablet, but anyway I hope the mobile OSs scene (android and iOS) to finish soon and never come back, for the good of Humankind.
asiga is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:10 AM   #33
MrMister111
macrumors 6502a

Sorry for being a dope but how do I get ROMs onto it please? Can I only use this iExplorer to get ROMs on? Is there any other way?

I've got the app from the store in case it gets pulled but would love to play done retro games
MrMister111 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:44 AM   #34
Death-T
macrumors regular

Send a message via MSN to Death-T
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiga View Post
I hope the mobile OS scene will finish soon, as there isn't one that really cares for users. Android is just scary: why antiviruses are recommended on an OS derived from Linux is beyond logic: they took Linux and "evolved" it towards Windows 95 class security. OTOH, iOS has the security that Android should have, but unfortunately the iOS security is driven not by users convenience, but by Apple convenience: approval on the AppStore is done on the basis of what Apple likes, not what users want.

Fortunately, we're quickly arriving to a moment where new released tablets can run complete OSs, such as complete Windows8, and Linux, so we can finally use mobile devices that have adequate security, aren't limited on features, and have a long time evolution. The sad point is I don't see Apple releasing an OSX tablet, but anyway I hope the mobile OSs scene (android and iOS) to finish soon and never come back, for the good of Humankind.

Eh, these mobile OS systems will probably just keep growing and growing. As long as true desktop OS's stay around I'll be fine. (some people here speculate and even welcome a sort of iOS takeover of OS X...ew) On another note--not trying to start an iOS vs Android debate, but Android is great if you're into emulators because you can pretty much download any of them (GBA, SNES, Mame, PSX, etc) for free without even rooting/jailbreaking your device.

Anyway, does anyone know if one of those iPad arcade setups would work with this Gridlee app?

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/e76...FQcHnQodtjAADQ

This, along with Atari Greatest Hits and a MAME emulator would make the iPad a pretty sweet retro gaming machine. =P
Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:25 AM   #35
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackan View Post
Apple doesn't want you to have fun, so they'll pull this one very soon. Back to Angry Birds... What a waste.
Apple is REALLY pathetic some time. Even Microsoft allows MIME emulators (and a lot of other stuff forbidden by Apple; for example, hardware video acceleration) in its appstore.
Menneisyys2 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:02 AM   #36
msandersen
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to msandersen
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMister111 View Post
Sorry for being a dope but how do I get ROMs onto it please? Can I only use this iExplorer to get ROMs on? Is there any other way?

I've got the app from the store in case it gets pulled but would love to play done retro games
Yes you can use iExplorer, think there is at least one other app, it can access the Apps directory on the phone without jailbreaking.
Simply expand the Apps on the left sidebar and scroll down to find Gridlee. Click on it to reveal the contents in the middle window.
Expand the Documents folder. In there you will find the MAME folders. The one you want is the Roms directory, where the game Roms go, and by default simply has gridlee.zip.
You'll have to find the Rom files yourself though. Plenty of info on MAME out there, tho much of it can be confusing and overwhelming.
msandersen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:05 AM   #37
Albright
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by viperGTS View Post
Someone should sneak a Gameboy Advance emulator into the App Store.
It's "Game Boy Advance." "Game Boy" is two words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjsterilite View Post
That would mean looking for a free open version of a gameboy adv game no?
IT'S TWO FREAKIN' WORDS (nerd rage)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Am3r1ca16 View Post
i want to play pokemon games on my iPhone! without jailbreak! not some 1984 games!
It's not Apple's fault that you can't. It's Nintendo's. They don't want to release that game for a platform they're not selling hardware for.

At any rate, I'd like to remind everyone that by using emulators like this to play ROMs that aren't explicitly free, you're committing an act of piracy. Just because a game is older doesn't mean it's not still copyrighted. If that's what you want to do, fine, but at least be consistent and don't look down on those who jailbreak their devices to pirate iOS software at the same time - stealing ROMs is no less a crime.
Albright is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:15 AM   #38
Uplift
macrumors regular

I've struggled to get most ROMS working.

some error about CHD files missing.

would love some info on this if anyone got it working? (PM?)

Thanks
Uplift is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:34 AM   #39
MrMister111
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by msandersen View Post
Yes you can use iExplorer, think there is at least one other app, it can access the Apps directory on the phone without jailbreaking.
Simply expand the Apps on the left sidebar and scroll down to find Gridlee. Click on it to reveal the contents in the middle window.
Expand the Documents folder. In there you will find the MAME folders. The one you want is the Roms directory, where the game Roms go, and by default simply has gridlee.zip.
You'll have to find the Rom files yourself though. Plenty of info on MAME out there, tho much of it can be confusing and overwhelming.
Thanks for that. It's just I don't want to buy iExplorer for $35 for it not to work. Is there no (yeh I'm a cheap skate!!), free apps that can get the ROMs on?
MrMister111 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:44 AM   #40
justperry
macrumors 603

Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Thanks for that. It's just I don't want to buy iExplorer for $35 for it not to work. Is there no (yeh I'm a cheap skate!!), free apps that can get the ROMs on?
What about putting them there before the app gets copied to the iPhone, an App is a zip, change the .ipa to zip and it unzips.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:43 AM   #41
Uplift
macrumors regular

Quote:
iFunBox

http://www.i-funbox.com
Uplift is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:46 AM   #42
blakespot
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to blakespot
Quote:
Originally Posted by macfacts View Post
Maybe this game, Another World, for gba

http://ca.ign.com/games/another-world/gba-744458
Or...there's this:
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=107779

bp
http://www.bytecellar.com
blakespot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:26 AM   #43
Macrolido
macrumors regular

I prefer to use MAME in the OS X with a keyboard.
Macrolido is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:57 AM   #44
HobeSoundDarryl
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
What about putting them there before the app gets copied to the iPhone, an App is a zip, change the .ipa to zip and it unzips.

Tried this but couldn't get it to work. unzip, add, zip, change suffix to .ipa. "Not a valid app". Am I missing something?
HobeSoundDarryl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:03 PM   #45
december
macrumors newbie

Neo-Geo?

Has anyone managed to get Neo-Geo games working on either iMame or this new one?
december is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:29 PM   #46
1Alec1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
I've already got iMAME, so no need for this.

As far as a GBA emulator... I have one on my iMac. I don't have the source code for it, but I wouldn't imagine it's very difficult for whoever does have it to port it over to iOS.
It could be done with WINE or Rosetta for iOS
1Alec1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:47 PM   #47
1Alec1
Banned

Very cool! Looks like they did that on purpose, sneaking in a full emulator.
1Alec1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:28 PM   #48
HurryKayne
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtechlogic View Post
Nice, I like it just transfer my mame 32 collection and it is working awesome. Will it read the CHD files. I have those game files. like Killer Instinct II. I have the collection of MAMe, SEGA, SNES, NES.
Let me understand...is Snes working on Griddle?

Last edited by HurryKayne; Jan 27, 2013 at 02:38 PM.
HurryKayne is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:09 PM   #49
GenesisST
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albright View Post
It's "Game Boy Advance." "Game Boy" is two words.

IT'S TWO FREAKIN' WORDS (nerd rage)
I'd love to install it on my ITouch... (wrong capitalization on purpose too!)
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:56 PM   #50
mcdspncr
macrumors member

iCade?

Has anyone checked if there's iCade support yet?

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion