Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:56 PM   #26
garylapointe
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dXTC View Post
Got this for my new iPhone 5. I'll have to get used to the onscreen joystick; it's not as instantly responsive as playing MAME OS X using an actual keyboard. Still, it's nice for casual retro gaming on the go.
I wonder if this would work with the keyboard (bluetooth).

Gary
__________________
http://GarySaid.com/ uses an 11" MacBook Air (a nice cross between my old 12" PowerBook + old PowerBook Duo), AppleTV 3,
the amazing 7th iPhone (5s 64GB) and a beautiful iPad 3 64 GB!
garylapointe is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:02 PM   #27
kylera
macrumors 6502a
 
kylera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Seoul
On an aside, how do you pronounce MAME? Like "maim" or like "mah-meh"?
__________________
Current Macs: 2012 13" MBA | 2011 27" iMac | PowerBook G4 12" | eMac 700Mhz
Current iOS: iPad 4 3G 64GB | iPhone 4S 16GB
kylera is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:06 PM   #28
lunaoso
macrumors 65816
 
lunaoso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: New England, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by dXTC View Post
Got this for my new iPhone 5. I'll have to get used to the onscreen joystick; it's not as instantly responsive as playing MAME OS X using an actual keyboard. Still, it's nice for casual retro gaming on the go.
I've noticed that as well. Seems like it almost drags it in the wrong direction too. Still pretty cool though.
__________________
Great iPhone wallpaper website | Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.
lunaoso is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:21 PM   #29
msandersen
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Sydney, Australia
Send a message via AIM to msandersen
Nice! Installed it! My iPhone is getting pretty full though, but will try a couple of games one at a time just for the novelty value.
__________________
People who are willing to give up freedom for the sake of short term
security, deserve neither freedom nor security.
-Benjamin Franklin
msandersen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:56 PM   #30
dtechlogic
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2011
Nice, I like it just transfer my mame 32 collection and it is working awesome. Will it read the CHD files. I have those game files. like Killer Instinct II. I have the collection of MAMe, SEGA, SNES, NES.
__________________
Mac pro 12, 2.4 GHZ, 32GB RAM, 4TB HDD, GTX670@2GB,Clevo NP9261 Quad core 6600, 4GB rams, 1.5TB HDD, Sony HXR MC50U, Canon 60D
dtechlogic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:18 AM   #31
ksgant
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Chicago
So...how do you get ROMS into the game?

Nevermind. Have to use iExplorer...as it says in the article. I didn't know what that was and was unfamiliar with it.
__________________

2011 16gig iPhone 4s
2012 16gig iPad "3rd Generation"
2012 27" iMac i5 w/16Gigs of RAM

Last edited by ksgant; Jan 27, 2013 at 02:23 AM.
ksgant is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:36 AM   #32
asiga
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
I hope the mobile OS scene will finish soon, as there isn't one that really cares for users. Android is just scary: why antiviruses are recommended on an OS derived from Linux is beyond logic: they took Linux and "evolved" it towards Windows 95 class security. OTOH, iOS has the security that Android should have, but unfortunately the iOS security is driven not by users convenience, but by Apple convenience: approval on the AppStore is done on the basis of what Apple likes, not what users want.

Fortunately, we're quickly arriving to a moment where new released tablets can run complete OSs, such as complete Windows8, and Linux, so we can finally use mobile devices that have adequate security, aren't limited on features, and have a long time evolution. The sad point is I don't see Apple releasing an OSX tablet, but anyway I hope the mobile OSs scene (android and iOS) to finish soon and never come back, for the good of Humankind.
asiga is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:10 AM   #33
MrMister111
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Sorry for being a dope but how do I get ROMs onto it please? Can I only use this iExplorer to get ROMs on? Is there any other way?

I've got the app from the store in case it gets pulled but would love to play done retro games
MrMister111 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:44 AM   #34
Death-T
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Savannah, Georgia
Send a message via MSN to Death-T
Quote:
Originally Posted by asiga View Post
I hope the mobile OS scene will finish soon, as there isn't one that really cares for users. Android is just scary: why antiviruses are recommended on an OS derived from Linux is beyond logic: they took Linux and "evolved" it towards Windows 95 class security. OTOH, iOS has the security that Android should have, but unfortunately the iOS security is driven not by users convenience, but by Apple convenience: approval on the AppStore is done on the basis of what Apple likes, not what users want.

Fortunately, we're quickly arriving to a moment where new released tablets can run complete OSs, such as complete Windows8, and Linux, so we can finally use mobile devices that have adequate security, aren't limited on features, and have a long time evolution. The sad point is I don't see Apple releasing an OSX tablet, but anyway I hope the mobile OSs scene (android and iOS) to finish soon and never come back, for the good of Humankind.

Eh, these mobile OS systems will probably just keep growing and growing. As long as true desktop OS's stay around I'll be fine. (some people here speculate and even welcome a sort of iOS takeover of OS X...ew) On another note--not trying to start an iOS vs Android debate, but Android is great if you're into emulators because you can pretty much download any of them (GBA, SNES, Mame, PSX, etc) for free without even rooting/jailbreaking your device.

Anyway, does anyone know if one of those iPad arcade setups would work with this Gridlee app?

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/e76...FQcHnQodtjAADQ

This, along with Atari Greatest Hits and a MAME emulator would make the iPad a pretty sweet retro gaming machine. =P
__________________
Macbook Pro with Retina Display|2.6 Ghz|8 GB RAM|512 GB SSD::21.5" Aluminum iMac|2.5 GHz |12 GB RAM|500 GB HD::16 GB iPad 2::16 GB iPhone 4S [Jailbroken]::Apple TV 3
Death-T is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 05:25 AM   #35
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackan View Post
Apple doesn't want you to have fun, so they'll pull this one very soon. Back to Angry Birds... What a waste.
Apple is REALLY pathetic some time. Even Microsoft allows MIME emulators (and a lot of other stuff forbidden by Apple; for example, hardware video acceleration) in its appstore.
Menneisyys2 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:02 AM   #36
msandersen
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Sydney, Australia
Send a message via AIM to msandersen
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMister111 View Post
Sorry for being a dope but how do I get ROMs onto it please? Can I only use this iExplorer to get ROMs on? Is there any other way?

I've got the app from the store in case it gets pulled but would love to play done retro games
Yes you can use iExplorer, think there is at least one other app, it can access the Apps directory on the phone without jailbreaking.
Simply expand the Apps on the left sidebar and scroll down to find Gridlee. Click on it to reveal the contents in the middle window.
Expand the Documents folder. In there you will find the MAME folders. The one you want is the Roms directory, where the game Roms go, and by default simply has gridlee.zip.
You'll have to find the Rom files yourself though. Plenty of info on MAME out there, tho much of it can be confusing and overwhelming.
__________________
People who are willing to give up freedom for the sake of short term
security, deserve neither freedom nor security.
-Benjamin Franklin
msandersen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:05 AM   #37
Albright
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by viperGTS View Post
Someone should sneak a Gameboy Advance emulator into the App Store.
It's "Game Boy Advance." "Game Boy" is two words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjsterilite View Post
That would mean looking for a free open version of a gameboy adv game no?
IT'S TWO FREAKIN' WORDS (nerd rage)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Am3r1ca16 View Post
i want to play pokemon games on my iPhone! without jailbreak! not some 1984 games!
It's not Apple's fault that you can't. It's Nintendo's. They don't want to release that game for a platform they're not selling hardware for.

At any rate, I'd like to remind everyone that by using emulators like this to play ROMs that aren't explicitly free, you're committing an act of piracy. Just because a game is older doesn't mean it's not still copyrighted. If that's what you want to do, fine, but at least be consistent and don't look down on those who jailbreak their devices to pirate iOS software at the same time - stealing ROMs is no less a crime.
Albright is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:15 AM   #38
Uplift
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
I've struggled to get most ROMS working.

some error about CHD files missing.

would love some info on this if anyone got it working? (PM?)

Thanks
Uplift is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:34 AM   #39
MrMister111
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMister111 View Post
Sorry for being a dope but how do I get ROMs onto it please? Can I only use this iExplorer to get ROMs on? Is there any other way?

I've got the app from the store in case it gets pulled but would love to play done retro games


Quote:
Originally Posted by msandersen View Post
Yes you can use iExplorer, think there is at least one other app, it can access the Apps directory on the phone without jailbreaking.
Simply expand the Apps on the left sidebar and scroll down to find Gridlee. Click on it to reveal the contents in the middle window.
Expand the Documents folder. In there you will find the MAME folders. The one you want is the Roms directory, where the game Roms go, and by default simply has gridlee.zip.
You'll have to find the Rom files yourself though. Plenty of info on MAME out there, tho much of it can be confusing and overwhelming.
Thanks for that. It's just I don't want to buy iExplorer for $35 for it not to work. Is there no (yeh I'm a cheap skate!!), free apps that can get the ROMs on?
MrMister111 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:44 AM   #40
justperry
macrumors 603
 
justperry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: 7 Km South of an active upside down (boat) volcano.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMister111 View Post
Thanks for that. It's just I don't want to buy iExplorer for $35 for it not to work. Is there no (yeh I'm a cheap skate!!), free apps that can get the ROMs on?
What about putting them there before the app gets copied to the iPhone, an App is a zip, change the .ipa to zip and it unzips.
justperry is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:43 AM   #41
Uplift
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMister111 View Post
Thanks for that. It's just I don't want to buy iExplorer for $35 for it not to work. Is there no (yeh I'm a cheap skate!!), free apps that can get the ROMs on?
iFunBox

http://www.i-funbox.com
Uplift is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 09:46 AM   #42
blakespot
Administrator
 
blakespot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Alexandria, VA
Send a message via AIM to blakespot
Quote:
Originally Posted by macfacts View Post
Maybe this game, Another World, for gba

http://ca.ign.com/games/another-world/gba-744458
Or...there's this:
http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=107779



bp
__________________
TouchArcade :: iOS Gaming News, Reviews
http://toucharcade.com
ByteCellar :: Vintage Computing Weblog
http://www.bytecellar.com
blakespot is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:26 AM   #43
Macrolido
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Monterrey, Mexico
I prefer to use MAME in the OS X with a keyboard.
Macrolido is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:57 AM   #44
HobeSoundDarryl
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
Quote:
Originally Posted by justperry View Post
What about putting them there before the app gets copied to the iPhone, an App is a zip, change the .ipa to zip and it unzips.

Tried this but couldn't get it to work. unzip, add, zip, change suffix to .ipa. "Not a valid app". Am I missing something?
HobeSoundDarryl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:03 PM   #45
december
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Neo-Geo?

Has anyone managed to get Neo-Geo games working on either iMame or this new one?
december is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:29 PM   #46
1Alec1
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The Democratic Republic of Congo, you racist!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
I've already got iMAME, so no need for this.

As far as a GBA emulator... I have one on my iMac. I don't have the source code for it, but I wouldn't imagine it's very difficult for whoever does have it to port it over to iOS.
It could be done with WINE or Rosetta for iOS
1Alec1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:47 PM   #47
1Alec1
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: The Democratic Republic of Congo, you racist!
Very cool! Looks like they did that on purpose, sneaking in a full emulator.
1Alec1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:28 PM   #48
HurryKayne
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtechlogic View Post
Nice, I like it just transfer my mame 32 collection and it is working awesome. Will it read the CHD files. I have those game files. like Killer Instinct II. I have the collection of MAMe, SEGA, SNES, NES.
Let me understand...is Snes working on Griddle?

Last edited by HurryKayne; Jan 27, 2013 at 02:38 PM.
HurryKayne is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:09 PM   #49
GenesisST
macrumors 65816
 
GenesisST's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Where I live
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albright View Post
It's "Game Boy Advance." "Game Boy" is two words.



IT'S TWO FREAKIN' WORDS (nerd rage)
I'd love to install it on my ITouch... (wrong capitalization on purpose too!)
__________________
Kenmore microwave, Frigidaire oven, Fisher & Paykel fridge, LG washer & Dryer and Crane toilet
GenesisST is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:56 PM   #50
mcdspncr
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
iCade?

Has anyone checked if there's iCade support yet?
__________________
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke (author of 2001: A Space Odyssey)
Thanks for all the magic Steve, RIP
mcdspncr is offline   4 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
All iPads: How I've turned my iPad into a fully functional phone. east85 iPad 50 Jun 25, 2014 02:47 PM
iPhone GB/GBC emulator in the app store. user-name-here iPhone 0 Sep 30, 2013 04:46 AM
Is Passbook fully functional in iOS 7 Beta 3 xraytech iOS 7 0 Jul 9, 2013 02:53 PM
iPhone: Is everyone's OmniStat FULLY FUNCTIONAL? ninjaiphone Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 0 Feb 5, 2013 07:05 PM
Apple II Emulator in iPad browser, who needs an app store? OSMac Community Discussion 2 Dec 12, 2012 10:37 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:53 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC