Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I honestly wasn't expecting much. Kutcher isn't exactly known for taking on roles where he doesn't play the immature imbecile. I think Butterfly Effect is the only serious role I can remember that I thought he was good in. My expectations are so low that I will probably end up liking the film from the sheer fact that it will be better than I expect it to be.

ProVideo

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
So, someone who watched the movie: Why is it called "jOBS"??
The film-makers understand why there is a lower case "i" in front of many Apple products as well as they understand the history of Apple and Steve Jobs. It wasn't until the entire internet pointed out to them that it didn't make any sense that they changed it.

It's exploitive money grabs like this film that make me glad there are means to download movies without actually giving money to the filmmakers involved.

Garbage in, garbage out.

bobringer

macrumors member
May 20, 2004
Really? so every station that MS advertises on that doesn't give glowing reviews of this film is somehow under MS master control or influence? Does Apple advertise on those same stations?

Sigh... I suppose you don't keep up with current events much?

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Cnet sucks because they prefer Android over iOS? Because they think the iPhone 6 is going to be a failure?

So someone doesn't like what you like, so they suck? :rolleyes:

I bet if they said they'd sleep with the iPhone you'd love 'em.

Yep. :D Figures someone would bite when I made that comment.
fishing.gif

jontech

macrumors 6502
Feb 26, 2010
Hawaii
CNET's review sounds particularly damning. I'll probably watch this one when it comes to Netflix instant streaming. (Assuming I don't hear rave reviews... they still have a few months to touch up this film before its public premier, do they not?)

CBS forbid them to have a good review due to pending Litigation with one of Apple's partners

Aidan5806

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Is his name Steve jOBS?

Now i see how unspecific your original question was. And now i will answer your, once again, blatantly simple question by quoting the very site you are posting this question on.

According to Macrumors.com "the original "jOBS" styling, an homage to the "i" naming scheme for Apple's products."

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
"mixed" is right

But there is ONE thing i am sure of..... that i'm not going to see it.

The book is good, but thats where i draw the line.

Nobody does it better than the original.

1Alec1

macrumors regular
Now i see how unspecific your original question was. And now i will answer your, once again, blatantly simple question by quoting the very site you are posting this question on.

According to Macrumors.com "the original "jOBS" styling, an homage to the "i" naming scheme for Apple's products."

Well... they did that horribly wrong. Even ignoring the cheesy "j" instead of "i", it's called the iMac, not the iMAC. It should have been jObs if they were going to do that. There is actually a jPod, which is a fictional iPod copy that Jason makes in a Foxtrot comic.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
I really don't trust critics any more. I'd prefer to see the film and make my own judgement. :apple:

I'm going in with low expectations so that I may be pleasantly surprised.

Two sound policies, that I also like to stick to. Go in with an open mind and without any pre-conceived notions, and make up your own mind after. It seems some people have very high expectations from this 'fairly modest budget' film. Disappointment all but guaranteed.

Having said that, I wonder how closely it follows reality, and if there are going to be some interesting little-known facts revealed.

ProVideo

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
Having said that, I wonder how closely it follows reality, and if there are going to be some interesting little-known facts revealed.

If they can't even get well established facts correct that anyone with basic understanding of computer history or access to wikipedia could find, I wouldn't have much hope they are going to be privy to any previously unknown information concerning Jobs or Apple's history.

I would be surprised if they haven't heavily dramatized and fabricated many of the events and much of the dialogue though.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
If they don't go into how big a douche bag he was, what's the point of the movie? To simply praise him? Glorify him? Come on now... if you want to tell the story of a man's life, you have to tell the complete story.

The fact that you have to explain this to someone makes me sad...... I figure it would be obvious why it's jOBS.... like iPad, iPod, iPhone ect ect.

It's a movie about a shallow human being starring a shallow actor. It was doomed from the start.
I think you may be right no target.

Aidan5806

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Well... they did that horribly wrong. Even ignoring the cheesy "j" instead of "i", it's called the iMac, not the iMAC. It should have been jObs if they were going to do that. There is actually a jPod, which is a fictional iPod copy that Jason makes in a Foxtrot comic.

*facepalm* DID YOU NOT READ THE ARTICLE A COUPLE OF DAYS AGO.

Here I'll help you out.

https://www.macrumors.com/2013/01/24/first-video-clip-of-ashton-kutcher-as-steve-jobs/

Now will you cool it with the ignorant comments.

DavidTheExpert

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2012
It sounds... pretty bland. I will not be rushing out to theaters to watch this. Might watch a few clips of it on Youtube, at most.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Sounds like a movie only worth torrenting, rather than watching in cinema or renting.

Money better spent elsewhere.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
They should have used Noah Wyle :)

Too old and clearly looks it, too expensive for this trio of wanna bes and their low budget and busy with his TV show and other prior commitments.

Besides he's done that role, why would he want to do it again.

----------

Come on, a film about Steve Jobs should be freaking amazing at least. If the film about Mark Zuckerberg was good with a high budget, why isn't this better with a higher budget?

The folks doing this movie are neophytes looking to make a name for themselves. With a higher budget it would likely be the same trite but made with a higher budget. Even that one clip shows the skill of the writer and the director, which is basically none. The writing was bland, the shadowy long pan walk and talk awful

----------

Now showing in 1 theater somewhere near you.

If you live in New York, Los Angeles etc. I doubt it will ever wide release.

----------

Why the hell does it say amazon app store??

Because the ads are served by another system with no regard for the site they are on. There have also been Samsung, HP etc ads

Macist

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2009
If the Pirates of Silicon Valley had been created today it would have been a big Hollywood film not a TV Movie as interest in technology has become so much more mainstream in the last few years. That film was great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.