Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
In the meantime, always make sure your startup disk is selected in system preferences and then do this procedure every no and then:

This article proposes two actions:

Clear the dynamic loader shared cache by booting one time is Safe mode.
Rebuild Kernel Extension Caches with a few terminal commands.

The whole process will take you approximately 4 to 5 minutes to perform if that.

Step 1 : Clear the dynamic loader shared cache

So First: boot in safe mode by restarting your mac by holding the SHIFT key immediately after hearing the boot chime. When you reach the login window, don’t even log in, just hit restart.

Step 2 : Rebuild Kernel Extension Caches

Open a terminal window and type the following commands:

sudo chown root:admin /

(the system will ask your password to grant access to the sudo chown command as this requires admin privileges)

sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel

sudo kextcache -system-caches

Then restart.

Jipster23

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2011
enter the following commands on terminal.

After you enter the first command you will be asked for your password.

This is the only workaround solution ive come across so far.

udo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.securityd ExitTimeOut -int 2

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.coreservices.appleevents ExitTimeOut -int 2

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder ExitTimeOut -int 2

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.diskarbitrationd ExitTimeOut -int 2

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.coreservices.appleid.authentication ExitTimeOut -int 2

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom

udo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.securityd ExitTimeOut -int 2

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.coreservices.appleevents ExitTimeOut -int 2

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.mDNSResponder ExitTimeOut -int 2

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.diskarbitrationd ExitTimeOut -int 2

sudo defaults write /System/Library/LaunchAgents/com.apple.coreservices.appleid.authentication ExitTimeOut -int 2

What are the defaults before I do this, and secondly what are the implications of changing these timeouts? Usually timeouts are there in order to allow writes to complete or prevent data loss?

Jipster23

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2011
I cannot exactly remember the details. Basically these are the parameters that actually contribute to the long period (20 seconds) to shut down on ML. You can check it out on your console report to see which processes are actually causing this and from what ive gathered from other forums its actually these parameters.

I typed these commands in once about a month back and shut down is prompt and there is no software/hardware related issues what so ever.

The Bulge

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Up your ass.

You can add this to all plist file it will still take ages to shut down. This worked for me maybe 3 times and even if log shows that service was killed fater 2 seconds it still took 15 to 20 seconds to shut down.

Atarikid

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
As I said before there is no way to fix the slow shut down process. All are temporally fixes.

But today Apple released another beta of OS X 10.8.3 and finally there is good news. The issue (seems to be) is solved.
I have working with this beta whole day with several reboots and my MBP Retina always closes within 1-2 second(s) as it should.

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
As I said before there is no way to fix the slow shut down process. All are temporally fixes.

But today Apple released another beta of OS X 10.8.3 and finally there is good news. The issue (seems to be) is solved.
I have working with this beta whole day with several reboots and my MBP Retina always closes within 1-2 second(s) as it should.

You are right about the fix thingy. Not one of them worked, but glad that there might be a solution in the latest beta. Thanks for sharing. ;)

The Bulge

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Up your ass.

Still slow here. Tested on last gen Mac Pro, retina MBP and last gen iMac.

Atarikid

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
Still slow here. Tested on last gen Mac Pro, retina MBP and last gen iMac.

Day two: still quick shutdowns on my MBP Retina 15"

Are you sure you are using the latest Build 12D58 released yesterday friday 25/1?
On the official Apple developers forum everyone says it is fixed too.

The Bulge

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Up your ass.
Day two: still quick shutdowns on my MBP Retina 15"

Are you sure you are using the latest Build 12D58 released yesterday friday 25/1?
On the official Apple developers forum everyone says it is fixed too.

I'm sure. I even did clean GM install and then 10.8.3 12D58 on top to be sure.

Badagri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2012
UK
I hope they fixed the memory not releasing itself. Because I get a lot of page outs at times unlike under Lion. Even though the system can sit idle for hours and the memory is still maxed out will all the apps closed down.

The Bulge

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2012
Up your ass.
I hope they fixed the memory not releasing itself. Because I get a lot of page outs at times unlike under Lion. Even though the system can sit idle for hours and the memory is still maxed out will all the apps closed down.

This could be fixed i think. After using Vmware for example i always had 8-10 GB just hanging doing nothing while system was using swap file, now i don't see it anymore.

Prof.

macrumors 603
Original poster
Aug 17, 2007
Chicagoland
If Apple doesn't fix this problem permanently with 10.8.3, their stock deserves to keep falling. :mad:

kensic

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2013
freaking blows, did a clean reinstall and it didnt help. about 40% of the time it shuts down fast :(

alec6542

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2012
Not sure if this would be of any help, but I had extremely slow startup and shutdown times on 2011 Macbook Pro. After trying almost everything, including format and reinstall, I decided to try updating the memory from 4GB to 8GB. Made a HUGE difference! Before it would take like 5 minutes to shutdown. Now it takes less than 10 seconds with safari open with 20 tabs and another 14 or so applications open. Very pleased.

kensic

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2013
Not sure if this would be of any help, but I had extremely slow startup and shutdown times on 2011 Macbook Pro. After trying almost everything, including format and reinstall, I decided to try updating the memory from 4GB to 8GB. Made a HUGE difference! Before it would take like 5 minutes to shutdown. Now it takes less than 10 seconds with safari open with 20 tabs and another 14 or so applications open. Very pleased.

update us in a couple of days, thanks

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida

Does not work. Went from 4 GB to 8 GB to 16 GB and no difference. Have to wait for Apple to figure this out. Nothing on this thread has helped but just a few times than back to square one again. :(

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
Does not work. Went from 4 GB to 8 GB to 16 GB and no difference. Have to wait for Apple to figure this out. Nothing on this thread has helped but just a few times than back to square one again. :(

The slow shutdown even occured once in a while after a startup and immediate shutdown for testing purposes - and to me that clearly shouldn't be a memory intensive task...

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
I had the same problem (Actually, I had the same problem with 10.8.0) but then I got it fixed by performing the following steps:

1. Shut down your computer with "Reopen windows when logging..." CHECKED. (The shut down will be slow this time ~ 20 seconds)
2. Turn your computer on
3. Shut down with "Reopen windows when logging..." UNCHECKED. It now shuts down in 2 seconds

Note: with 10.8.2, my MacBook seems to shuts down in about 2 seconds whether I leave it checked or unchecked.

Good Luck!

This..... doesn't work for me, since i prefer to leave the box unchecked

Theres a solution somewhere, and a clean install isn't always the answer.

Can applications do this ? For example you've just been using Toast 11, and due to it not being written very well it leave threads open even though it appears the applications been closed (no light in dock, no icon in task switcher etc).

If so, how can you target these in relation to the relevant app ?

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
Where on earth is 10.8.3
this shutdown issue for pushing a year is downright disgraceful.

Cleaned up my wife's MBP late 2011 this am; and shutdown took 2.5 min.
my MBA takes about 30 seconds, even when I fresh restart at the login screen.

damn I miss 10.6.8:mad:

nyolc8

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2012
They fix the slow shutdown in febuary, then 5 month later in June the 10.9 comes out with slow shutdown again... ;) :D

Mike MA

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2012
Germany
They fix the slow shutdown in febuary, then 5 month later in June the 10.9 comes out with slow shutdown again... ;) :D

I rather assume it won't be fix until 10.9 will be released. They already had a shot with 10.8.2 which they didn't make use of...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.