Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:07 PM   #1
alexjholland
macrumors regular

iTunes Match activated means I have NO idea what music's stored on my iPhone?!

Hi, I won't bore you with everything else that's wrong with iTunes Match right now (namely it's inability to upload large songs).

Whilst snowboarding, I realised that as iTunes Match was activated on my iPhone, I had the entire 140Gb list of my music; but no apparent way of identifying what was actually ON my iPhone.

I don't know what kind of moron doesn't understand that people very often use iPhones where internet is either too slow or expensive to stream music; but they're certainly too stupid to be working at a market-leading technology company.

Aside from turning iTunes Match off, is there a way to identify what music is actually ON my iPhone, or is it REALLY this badly designed?
alexjholland is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:12 PM   #2
irnchriz
macrumors 6502a

Goto

Settings
Music
Toggle OFF show all music
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:19 PM   #3
From A Buick 8
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post
Goto

Settings
Music
Toggle OFF show all music
Beat me to, it but yep that is what to do. Also to clear what is on there toggle match off and then back on.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:27 PM   #4
PNutts
macrumors 601

You can also choose to allow or deny iTune Match's use of cellular data. Or Wifi for that matter. Maybe skip a day of snowboarding and read the manual? If that's not possible, the forum has a search feature.
PNutts is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:56 AM   #5
alexjholland
macrumors regular

..And I'm presented with a big, fat iCloud logo with a loading bar. Which has been there since yesterday. Probably in relation to the fact that my iCloud - activated two months ago - is still frozen on uploading, because I haven't decided to delete any large music files yet.

What a woeful service.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:29 AM   #6
irnchriz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjholland View Post
..And I'm presented with a big, fat iCloud logo with a loading bar. Which has been there since yesterday. Probably in relation to the fact that my iCloud - activated two months ago - is still frozen on uploading, because I haven't decided to delete any large music files yet.

What a woeful service.
Sorry but you are the definition of 'user error'

you have been told what to do to remedy your situation but would rather moan about it.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:04 AM   #7
jonfarr
macrumors 6502

Never had an issue uploading any larger music files on long songs for me. User Error for sure.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:24 AM   #8
alexjholland
macrumors regular

A brief Google would reveal the countless people who have had issues uploading large songs (one hour+) to iTunes Match.

Observe: https://discussions.apple.com/thread...rt=30&tstart=0

In fact several have reported Apple customer service have confirmed it's a 'known issue' and are currently working on a solution.

In the meantime, making AAC versions of the large songs iTunes Match had stalled on and deleting them allowed the upload to progress further, but it's now stalled again and I'm trying to work out why.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:30 AM   #9
scaredpoet
macrumors 603

Well, now you've learned. iTunes Match isn't for you!
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:34 AM   #10
jabingla2810
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by From A Buick 8 View Post
Beat me to, it but yep that is what to do. Also to clear what is on there toggle match off and then back on.
A better way to clear it is

Settings > General > Usage > Select Music > Edit then delete

This keeps Match turned on, just deletes all local music.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:38 AM   #11
alexjholland
macrumors regular

Rather a shame, if so. I've spent around 6,000 on Apple products over the last few years and enjoy most aspects of their functionality.

iTunes Match would be great for sharing my 140Gb music collection on my iMac with other devices as I travel; and accessing music on my one Windows laptop (provided by my company) without storing it locally.

I've got the vast majority of my music onto the service, but have a stubborn 1,400 songs to go.. I hope to get there.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabingla2810 View Post

To clarify, I want iTunes Match running on my iPhone for when internet is available; but the ability to easily identify what is locally stored for the many occasions when I d not have internet available.

I get the impression in many ways, from many technology companies, that they think most people have constant WiFi, 3G or 4G access. Not the case - especially those of us that travel regularly.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:45 AM   #12
Interstella5555
macrumors 603

Quote:
To clarify, I want iTunes Match running on my iPhone for when internet is available; but the ability to easily identify what is locally stored for the many occasions when I d not have internet available.

I get the impression in many ways, from many technology companies, that they think most people have constant WiFi, 3G or 4G access. Not the case - especially those of us that travel regularly.
Which makes it a pointless and useless feature, surprised more people haven't figured this out yes. Store everything locally and you'll never have any of the problems you mentioned.
Interstella5555 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:02 AM   #13
jabingla2810
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Rather a shame, if so. I've spent around 6,000 on Apple products over the last few years and enjoy most aspects of their functionality.

iTunes Match would be great for sharing my 140Gb music collection on my iMac with other devices as I travel; and accessing music on my one Windows laptop (provided by my company) without storing it locally.

I've got the vast majority of my music onto the service, but have a stubborn 1,400 songs to go.. I hope to get there.

----------

I was answering somebody else's question.

For you, just go Settings > Music > Show All Music > off

Then you will only see the music on your device.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interstella5555 View Post
Which makes it a pointless and useless feature, surprised more people haven't figured this out yes. Store everything locally and you'll never have any of the problems you mentioned.
iTunes Match is amazing if you understand it.

Never having to use iTunes to sync, is a blessing, and having my entire 100GB + music library with me at all times on my iPhone it great.

Sure you may have to plan ahead if you are going to be without internet for an extended time, but I'm sure most people manage it easy enough. I do.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:49 PM   #14
From A Buick 8
macrumors 68030

Quote:

Thanks, im not sure what that would be better, but i will try it.

I have been using iTunes match since the first of Jan and wow am i using the data 5gb and counting. Some of that is playing with LTE on my phone, but most of it is the music.

----------

Quote:
IiTunes Match is amazing if you understand it.

Never having to use iTunes to sync, is a blessing, and having my entire 100GB + music library with me at all times on my iPhone it great.

Sure you may have to plan ahead if you are going to be without internet for an extended time, but I'm sure most people manage it easy enough. I do.
I agree with the amazing part, so far i like it. I have had some album art issues but it is nice to have all my music right there.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone