Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:07 PM   #1
alexjholland
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2011
iTunes Match activated means I have NO idea what music's stored on my iPhone?!

Hi, I won't bore you with everything else that's wrong with iTunes Match right now (namely it's inability to upload large songs).

Whilst snowboarding, I realised that as iTunes Match was activated on my iPhone, I had the entire 140Gb list of my music; but no apparent way of identifying what was actually ON my iPhone.

I don't know what kind of moron doesn't understand that people very often use iPhones where internet is either too slow or expensive to stream music; but they're certainly too stupid to be working at a market-leading technology company.

Aside from turning iTunes Match off, is there a way to identify what music is actually ON my iPhone, or is it REALLY this badly designed?
alexjholland is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:12 PM   #2
irnchriz
macrumors 6502a
 
irnchriz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Scotland
Goto

Settings
Music
Toggle OFF show all music
__________________
irnchriz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:19 PM   #3
From A Buick 8
macrumors 68030
 
From A Buick 8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ky Close to CinCinnati
Quote:
Originally Posted by irnchriz View Post
Goto

Settings
Music
Toggle OFF show all music
Beat me to, it but yep that is what to do. Also to clear what is on there toggle match off and then back on.
__________________
Homemade Interocitor, iPhone 6 Plus 128gb Silver, iPad 4, Two Apple TV's, -- 21.5-inch: 3.2GHz Intel Core i3 iMac.
From A Buick 8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:27 PM   #4
PNutts
macrumors 601
 
PNutts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Pacific Northwest, US
You can also choose to allow or deny iTune Match's use of cellular data. Or Wifi for that matter. Maybe skip a day of snowboarding and read the manual? If that's not possible, the forum has a search feature.
PNutts is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:56 AM   #5
alexjholland
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2011
..And I'm presented with a big, fat iCloud logo with a loading bar. Which has been there since yesterday. Probably in relation to the fact that my iCloud - activated two months ago - is still frozen on uploading, because I haven't decided to delete any large music files yet.

What a woeful service.
alexjholland is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:29 AM   #6
irnchriz
macrumors 6502a
 
irnchriz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjholland View Post
..And I'm presented with a big, fat iCloud logo with a loading bar. Which has been there since yesterday. Probably in relation to the fact that my iCloud - activated two months ago - is still frozen on uploading, because I haven't decided to delete any large music files yet.

What a woeful service.
Sorry but you are the definition of 'user error'

you have been told what to do to remedy your situation but would rather moan about it.
__________________
irnchriz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:04 AM   #7
jonfarr
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Portland
Never had an issue uploading any larger music files on long songs for me. User Error for sure.
__________________
iMac, Macbook Air, iPhone 5s, riPad mini w/ LTE
jonfarr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:24 AM   #8
alexjholland
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2011
A brief Google would reveal the countless people who have had issues uploading large songs (one hour+) to iTunes Match.

Observe: https://discussions.apple.com/thread...rt=30&tstart=0

In fact several have reported Apple customer service have confirmed it's a 'known issue' and are currently working on a solution.

In the meantime, making AAC versions of the large songs iTunes Match had stalled on and deleting them allowed the upload to progress further, but it's now stalled again and I'm trying to work out why.
alexjholland is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:30 AM   #9
scaredpoet
macrumors 603
 
scaredpoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Well, now you've learned. iTunes Match isn't for you!
__________________
If you're not a clairvoyant, then you shouldn't be speaking for a dead guy.
I'm here to talk about Apple stuff, and related tech stuff. Your political beliefs? I really couldn't care less about.
scaredpoet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:34 AM   #10
jabingla2810
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by From A Buick 8 View Post
Beat me to, it but yep that is what to do. Also to clear what is on there toggle match off and then back on.
A better way to clear it is

Settings > General > Usage > Select Music > Edit then delete

This keeps Match turned on, just deletes all local music.
__________________
2.4 Alu Macbook 2GB 250GB
jabingla2810 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:38 AM   #11
alexjholland
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2011
Rather a shame, if so. I've spent around 6,000 on Apple products over the last few years and enjoy most aspects of their functionality.

iTunes Match would be great for sharing my 140Gb music collection on my iMac with other devices as I travel; and accessing music on my one Windows laptop (provided by my company) without storing it locally.

I've got the vast majority of my music onto the service, but have a stubborn 1,400 songs to go.. I hope to get there.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabingla2810 View Post
A better way to clear it is

Settings > General > Usage > Select Music > Edit then delete

This keeps Match turned on, just deletes all local music.
To clarify, I want iTunes Match running on my iPhone for when internet is available; but the ability to easily identify what is locally stored for the many occasions when I d not have internet available.

I get the impression in many ways, from many technology companies, that they think most people have constant WiFi, 3G or 4G access. Not the case - especially those of us that travel regularly.
alexjholland is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:45 AM   #12
Interstella5555
macrumors 603
 
Interstella5555's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjholland View Post
To clarify, I want iTunes Match running on my iPhone for when internet is available; but the ability to easily identify what is locally stored for the many occasions when I d not have internet available.

I get the impression in many ways, from many technology companies, that they think most people have constant WiFi, 3G or 4G access. Not the case - especially those of us that travel regularly.
Which makes it a pointless and useless feature, surprised more people haven't figured this out yes. Store everything locally and you'll never have any of the problems you mentioned.
Interstella5555 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 10:02 AM   #13
jabingla2810
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjholland View Post
Rather a shame, if so. I've spent around 6,000 on Apple products over the last few years and enjoy most aspects of their functionality.

iTunes Match would be great for sharing my 140Gb music collection on my iMac with other devices as I travel; and accessing music on my one Windows laptop (provided by my company) without storing it locally.

I've got the vast majority of my music onto the service, but have a stubborn 1,400 songs to go.. I hope to get there.

----------



To clarify, I want iTunes Match running on my iPhone for when internet is available; but the ability to easily identify what is locally stored for the many occasions when I d not have internet available.

I get the impression in many ways, from many technology companies, that they think most people have constant WiFi, 3G or 4G access. Not the case - especially those of us that travel regularly.
I was answering somebody else's question.

For you, just go Settings > Music > Show All Music > off

Then you will only see the music on your device.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interstella5555 View Post
Which makes it a pointless and useless feature, surprised more people haven't figured this out yes. Store everything locally and you'll never have any of the problems you mentioned.
iTunes Match is amazing if you understand it.

Never having to use iTunes to sync, is a blessing, and having my entire 100GB + music library with me at all times on my iPhone it great.

Sure you may have to plan ahead if you are going to be without internet for an extended time, but I'm sure most people manage it easy enough. I do.
__________________
2.4 Alu Macbook 2GB 250GB
jabingla2810 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:49 PM   #14
From A Buick 8
macrumors 68030
 
From A Buick 8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ky Close to CinCinnati
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabingla2810 View Post
A better way to clear it is

Settings > General > Usage > Select Music > Edit then delete

This keeps Match turned on, just deletes all local music.
Thanks, im not sure what that would be better, but i will try it.

I have been using iTunes match since the first of Jan and wow am i using the data 5gb and counting. Some of that is playing with LTE on my phone, but most of it is the music.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabingla2810 View Post
IiTunes Match is amazing if you understand it.

Never having to use iTunes to sync, is a blessing, and having my entire 100GB + music library with me at all times on my iPhone it great.

Sure you may have to plan ahead if you are going to be without internet for an extended time, but I'm sure most people manage it easy enough. I do.
I agree with the amazing part, so far i like it. I have had some album art issues but it is nice to have all my music right there.
__________________
Homemade Interocitor, iPhone 6 Plus 128gb Silver, iPad 4, Two Apple TV's, -- 21.5-inch: 3.2GHz Intel Core i3 iMac.
From A Buick 8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Music vanish from iPhone when synced through MacBook (have iTunes match) amnichols10 Mac Applications and Mac App Store 0 Feb 9, 2014 02:59 AM
Iphone music app using data, no itunes match frontbottom iPhone 5 Oct 8, 2012 01:37 PM
Is there a way to use iTunes Match & Still Have Own Music on iPhone? HeyGreggie iPhone 6 Oct 2, 2012 10:01 AM
After upgrading iOS on iPhone 4 iTunes Match - 'No Music' javco iOS 6 0 Sep 20, 2012 11:49 PM
iTunes match + local music files on iPhone whyrichard iPhone 9 Jun 23, 2012 01:49 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:18 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC