Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Cut the crap, the iPhone 4s display was not the best before the iPhone 5. The htx one x had an indisputably better display. And currently the droid DNA has the best display on a phone.

Samsungs latest touchwiz unlike previous version is actually extremely nice and every one of the features they added not only is very usefull, they are well polished and bug free. I hated touchwiz before but it has matured extremely well.

Best display is not just about # of pixels/pixel density. So you cut the crap. HTC One X came out so long after the 4S but I'm not even using that as part of my argument. My definition of best display is clarity (which is not 1:1 with pixel density), color reproduction, and panel type (IPS, etc.).

Samsung's TouchWiz is still crap. But that is a subjective view. Many tech blogs also agree with the conclusion that stock Android is superior. But again, subjective view.

I don't know what kind of stuff you're smoking, but NONE of the features actually wok RELIABLY and ALMOST CERTAINLY NOT BUG FREE. If that were so, I guess the updates Samsung has since released for bug fixes are just plain BS just like your argument. S Voice, for example, is certainly NOT polished NOR bug free. Again, using this once on a demo unit in a store is not representative of the entire existence of said feature. I have friends who love Android and Samsung phones who don't use S Voice (for example) and other S features because they suck. They did love their previous Galaxy S phones.

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
Best display is not just about # of pixels/pixel density. So you cut the crap. HTC One X came out so long after the 4S but I'm not even using that as part of my argument. My definition of best display is clarity (which is not 1:1 with pixel density), color reproduction, and panel type (IPS, etc.).

Samsung's TouchWiz is still crap. But that is a subjective view. Many tech blogs also agree with the conclusion that stock Android is superior. But again, subjective view.

I don't know what kind of stuff you're smoking, but NONE of the features actually wok RELIABLY and ALMOST CERTAINLY NOT BUG FREE. If that were so, I guess the updates Samsung has since released for bug fixes are just plain BS just like your argument. S Voice, for example, is certainly NOT polished NOR bug free. Again, using this once on a demo unit in a store is not representative of the entire existence of said feature. I have friends who love Android and Samsung phones who don't use S Voice (for example) and other S features because they suck. They did love their previous Galaxy S phones.

Thats exactly what I meant. The contrast ratio, view angles, and color gamut were better on the one x than on the iphone 4s and iphone 5. Thats because it uses s-lcd2 which is superior to ips. When the one x came out it was indisputably the best screen on any phone period. It is still better than any ips panel.

As far as touchwiz I wasn't referring to s-voice. I was referring to things like s-beam, the camera app (wish I could get it on my nexus), and the motion controls. Multiwindow is also huge and I hope stock android adopts this in the very near future.

Last edited:

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
I don't know what kind of stuff you're smoking, but NONE of the features actually wok RELIABLY and ALMOST CERTAINLY NOT BUG FREE. If that were so, I guess the updates Apple has since released for bug fixes are just plain BS just like your argument. Siri, for example, is certainly NOT polished NOR bug free. Again, using this once on a demo unit in a store is not representative of the entire existence of said feature. I have friends who love Apple and iPhones who don't use Siri (for example) and other Apple features (maps) because they suck. They did love their previous iPhones.

:) :p

0dev

macrumors 68040
Dec 22, 2009
Best buy when bust in the UK

Try again next time!

All the big UK digital retailers have gone bust. HMV, Game, Blockbuster, Virgin Megastores, etc. It's because people are buying online for cheaper prices and online businesses have lower running costs. The highstreet retailer is dead, long live the online retailer.

The only exception to this really is Apple Stores. The Apple Store in Regent Street is actually the most profitable shop in the whole of London. I have to give them kudos for that.

Aug 5, 2012
The only exception to this really is Apple Stores. The Apple Store in Regent Street is actually the most profitable shop in the whole of London. I have to give them kudos for that.

Source please

Aug 5, 2012
Sure, why not? It's not like the world isn't full of ignorant crap already.

She's got a point to be honest... Perhaps you should step back from this and calm down. Its only a forum at the end of the day.

----------

I probably should have been clearer and said it's actually the most profitable per square foot. Still very impressive though.

Yes i was going to say. That makes sense now thanks

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Sounds to me like he might be confusing lightning with MicroUSB.

----------

All the big UK digital retailers have gone bust. HMV, Game, Blockbuster, Virgin Megastores, etc. It's because people are buying online for cheaper prices and online businesses have lower running costs. The highstreet retailer is dead, long live the online retailer.

The Apple Stores are always PACKED. Every single time I see them they're heaving with people. Especially the one in Covent Garden. Went in there the other day.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
She's got a point to be honest... Perhaps you should step back from this and calm down. Its only a forum at the end of the day.

----------

Yes i was going to say. That makes sense now thanks

I am calm. Why wouldn't I be? If someone were to successfully argue supporting the Samsung Galaxy line of devices keyword being successfully, they wouldn't be modifying my post and replacing phrases like Samsung, Galaxy and S Voice with Apple "equivalents" (hardly the correct usage of the word). If what she did is considered a valid point to you, then my god has common sense, logic and reason gone out the door.

Here's what I would say if I were to defend Samsung from Apple fanboys (of whom I am not). Samsung doesn't follow the "one model suits all" model that Apple adheres by. They make a variety of smartphones/tablets and tie them under the Galaxy branding. Galaxy Ace, Duo, Grand, Mini, Note, etc. All of them are specific to a certain region(s) of the world or usage scenarios. They do this because Samsung also designs and manufactures many of the components that go into these smartphones. CPU, GPU, display, memory, SSD, etc. That's why they dominate the Android market in terms of sales, marketshare and profits. They dominate the supply chain AND design house AND manufacturing. They make the components themselves (Apple only designs everything but doesn't actually manufacture down to component level) and also assembles these singular components into proper applications. This is what Samsung does best. What they don't do best is a create ecosystems of both hardware and software. That is not really possible for them because Android is developed by Google. It's direction and focus is determined largely by Google. You can't create an ecosystem when software is basically out of your control and other people are using the same software (LG, Motorola, HTC, Huawei, etc.).

So yes, I praise Samsung for their hardware "monopoly". But Apple has built an empire of people and goods while Samsung has just built an empire of goods.

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I am calm. Why wouldn't I be? If someone were to successfully argue supporting the Samsung Galaxy line of devices keyword being successfully, they wouldn't be modifying my post and replacing phrases like Samsung, Galaxy and S Voice with Apple "equivalents" (hardly the correct usage of the word). If what she did is considered a valid point to you, then my god has common sense, logic and reason gone out the door.

Here's what I would say if I were to defend Samsung from Apple fanboys (of whom I am not). Samsung doesn't follow the "one model suits all" model that Apple adheres by. They make a variety of smartphones/tablets and tie them under the Galaxy branding. Galaxy Ace, Duo, Grand, Mini, Note, etc. All of them are specific to a certain region(s) of the world or usage scenarios. They do this because Samsung also designs and manufactures many of the components that go into these smartphones. CPU, GPU, display, memory, SSD, etc. That's why they dominate the Android market in terms of sales, marketshare and profits. They dominate the supply chain AND design house AND manufacturing. They make the components themselves (Apple only designs everything but doesn't actually manufacture down to component level) and also assembles these singular components into proper applications. This is what Samsung does best. What they don't do best is a create ecosystems of both hardware and software. That is not really possible for them because Android is developed by Google. It's direction and focus is determined largely by Google. You can't create an ecosystem when software is basically out of your control and other people are using the same software (LG, Motorola, HTC, Huawei, etc.).

So yes, I praise Samsung for their hardware "monopoly". But Apple has built an empire of people and goods while Samsung has just built an empire of goods.

What Samsung phone have you owned?

Lindenhurst

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2011
Success leads to jealousy. Apple has been incredibly successful. Why? Because they design great products (they've fallen off a bit, but that's a topic for another post).

The iphone is far and away the best selling and most influential phone design of all time. The samsungs are essentially direct copies.

As a result of apple's success, you get haters. These losers can't stand anyone having any success, so they try to 'tear down' successful businesses and people in this pathetic, passive aggressive fashion.

I have been extremely critical of apple myself when it's warranted (IT11, mountain lion, etc.) but I don't criticize apple just for being apple.

Gs3 a direct copy?? Thankfully it is not. When I left my iPhone for something different and ended up with a GS3, I really liked the fact that it was much different than my iPhone. I'm not saying its better, just different. What appealed to me was the screen size, and I have no doubt that apple iPhones will get larger in the future due to public demand. Maybe they'll make 2 sizes?
I'd consider iPhone again if it were larger.

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
To actually answer OP's question in this wildly off topic thread... the GS3 uses a micro USB port, which is the same port used by all Android phones and tablets as well as all BlackBerries and Nokias made in the past few years. When it comes to ports the guy has a valid point IMO. The micro USB port is a universal standard, every smartphone uses it... except for Apple's, who know they can get away with charging $50 for a special cable.

If you switch from one Android phone to another, you will have the same port. If you switch to another Android phone from a whole other manufacturer, you will have the same port. If you switch from Android to Windows Phone, you will have the same port. If you go to a friend's house with a low battery and they have that standard micro USB cable lying about, you can charge your phone.

The proprietary chargers that Apple uses for their products actually impacted me once because I don't use Apple products. One day, I wanted to top up the battery on my phone. I was at a friend's place and then realised that he has an iPhone. I was out of luck. I had to wait until I left before I can charge my phone in the car with my car charger.

For me, I currently use an SGS3. I also have a BB for work and have used an HTC and Nokia phone in the past. I like the fact that all of these phones use the standard micro-USB port for charging and connecting your device to a PC. I can freely interchange cables and because they all use the standard cables, I have extras from my old phones and new phones. Often, friends would charge their various phones at my place when they come over.

My wife has an iPhone and previously an iPod. She can only charge her stuff at home or if someone around uses Apple devices. She could not charge her phone in the car because my car charger is a micro-USB port only.

I would say that they have dominated the Android market recently is that they seem to be the only Android manufacturer in 2012 that had a decent marketing campaign. I heard SGS3 everywhere and practically nothing from the other manufacturers. HTC was the biggest Android device maker in Canada in 2011. I recall seeing a bunch of their ads and then they seemed to have fallen off the face of the earth.

Another reason for the success of Samsung, particularly the SGS3 is that the SGS3 is available on all major carriers (here in Canada at least) from the day it was launched. I actually would have gotten an HTC One X instead, but it wasn't available for my carrier. I thought that was a big mistake on HTC's part. This was their top end device and I was PO'ed that I cannot get it with my hardware upgrade. Their other phone, the One S had one deal breaker (16 GB storage non-expandable), so they missed the mark there, too.

No doubt their Galaxy line of products capitalises on the Galaxy brand. My wife's old phone was a Galaxy Q. It was called something else in the US. Practically everything else is a Galaxy this or that now.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley

Yea, this is quite interesting from my point of view. People spouting ignorance all over the place and being lazy with arguments by using find and replace instead of using this thing called a brain.

Now Stuntman6 has a really good point. He actually use this newfound thing called a brain. I agree with his comments, at least the one right above yours.

SprSynJn

Sep 15, 2011
Japan
Anyhoo! Sold my iPhone 5 a couple of weeks ago (Really gave it to) to my nephew and replaced it with a GS3. Definitely not missing the iPhone and loving my GS3 experience so far. Battery life has now also massively improved.

And how often do you have to force close apps in order to not have your phone die on you? My friends GS3 died from a charge of 68% in less than two hours because he forgot to turn off the navigation in the Maps app. Pretty irritated he was. Meanwhile my iPhone 5 went down a few percentage points on standby in the same time.

Yep, definitely glad I didn't get that phone.

N0ddie

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2011
Glasgow
And how often do you have to force close apps in order to not have your phone die on you? My friends GS3 died from a charge of 68% in less than two hours because he forgot to turn off the navigation in the Maps app. Pretty irritated he was. Meanwhile my iPhone 5 went down a few percentage points on standby in the same time.

I always closed apps on my iPhones. So its no different to how I use my GS3. Whats the problem?

Tarzanman

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2010

Begging your pardon, but your friend is a dummy for not turning off Navigation.... and your criticism of the phone is silly.

Navigation is probably the most battery hungry application on the phone.
-It constantly polls data from the GPS chip
-It constantly pulls data from google's mapping servers
-It constantly renders your location and all the streets (or even satellite images) around you
-It does all of this in real time while calculating the fastest route based on real time traffic.
-It does all of the above in the background so you can answer your phone or play music or whatever simultaneously. It is designed to not deactivate itself until the user decides that they have reached their destination.

Gee, what would a handheld GPS device do if I left it on for hours after I reached my destination?

Well, I suppose it might eventually run out of battery power too.

Explain to me again how this is an oversight or design flaw?

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
The proprietary chargers that Apple uses for their products actually impacted me once because I don't use Apple products. One day, I wanted to top up the battery on my phone. I was at a friend's place and then realised that he has an iPhone. I was out of luck. I had to wait until I left before I can charge my phone in the car with my car charger.

For me, I currently use an SGS3. I also have a BB for work and have used an HTC and Nokia phone in the past. I like the fact that all of these phones use the standard micro-USB port for charging and connecting your device to a PC. I can freely interchange cables and because they all use the standard cables, I have extras from my old phones and new phones. Often, friends would charge their various phones at my place when they come over.

My wife has an iPhone and previously an iPod. She can only charge her stuff at home or if someone around uses Apple devices. She could not charge her phone in the car because my car charger is a micro-USB port only.
I can see how the instances you have stated could be a problem for you. Then again its only in recent years we've seen micro USB being the norm and years ago we had Nokia, Motorola, Siemens, Sony etc all having totally different connectors. I remember I got a few emergency charger gadgets for xmas over the years that would often come with about 12 different adapters to suit all phones. Nowadays it mostly iPhone or micro USB that people own so its not the end of the world.

For me, most of my friends and social group own iPhones and at work most people own iPhones so getting hold of a charger is never usually a problem. I can see the argument to standardise all mobile chargers and connectors but if they were to do that I would support the lightning connector being the standard, if only Apple would allow its use to others.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.