Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 26, 2013, 10:22 PM   #76
SnowLeopard2008
macrumors 604
 
SnowLeopard2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Silicon Valley
Send a message via AIM to SnowLeopard2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhand1001 View Post
Cut the crap, the iPhone 4s display was not the best before the iPhone 5. The htx one x had an indisputably better display. And currently the droid DNA has the best display on a phone.

Samsungs latest touchwiz unlike previous version is actually extremely nice and every one of the features they added not only is very usefull, they are well polished and bug free. I hated touchwiz before but it has matured extremely well.
Best display is not just about # of pixels/pixel density. So you cut the crap. HTC One X came out so long after the 4S but I'm not even using that as part of my argument. My definition of best display is clarity (which is not 1:1 with pixel density), color reproduction, and panel type (IPS, etc.).

Samsung's TouchWiz is still crap. But that is a subjective view. Many tech blogs also agree with the conclusion that stock Android is superior. But again, subjective view.

I don't know what kind of stuff you're smoking, but NONE of the features actually wok RELIABLY and ALMOST CERTAINLY NOT BUG FREE. If that were so, I guess the updates Samsung has since released for bug fixes are just plain BS just like your argument. S Voice, for example, is certainly NOT polished NOR bug free. Again, using this once on a demo unit in a store is not representative of the entire existence of said feature. I have friends who love Android and Samsung phones who don't use S Voice (for example) and other S features because they suck. They did love their previous Galaxy S phones.
__________________
Mac Pro | Thunderbolt Display | iPhone 6 | iPad mini | Apple TV | AirPort Extreme
SnowLeopard2008 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:09 PM   #77
blackhand1001
macrumors 68030
 
blackhand1001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard2008 View Post
Best display is not just about # of pixels/pixel density. So you cut the crap. HTC One X came out so long after the 4S but I'm not even using that as part of my argument. My definition of best display is clarity (which is not 1:1 with pixel density), color reproduction, and panel type (IPS, etc.).

Samsung's TouchWiz is still crap. But that is a subjective view. Many tech blogs also agree with the conclusion that stock Android is superior. But again, subjective view.

I don't know what kind of stuff you're smoking, but NONE of the features actually wok RELIABLY and ALMOST CERTAINLY NOT BUG FREE. If that were so, I guess the updates Samsung has since released for bug fixes are just plain BS just like your argument. S Voice, for example, is certainly NOT polished NOR bug free. Again, using this once on a demo unit in a store is not representative of the entire existence of said feature. I have friends who love Android and Samsung phones who don't use S Voice (for example) and other S features because they suck. They did love their previous Galaxy S phones.
Thats exactly what I meant. The contrast ratio, view angles, and color gamut were better on the one x than on the iphone 4s and iphone 5. Thats because it uses s-lcd2 which is superior to ips. When the one x came out it was indisputably the best screen on any phone period. It is still better than any ips panel.

As far as touchwiz I wasn't referring to s-voice. I was referring to things like s-beam, the camera app (wish I could get it on my nexus), and the motion controls. Multiwindow is also huge and I hope stock android adopts this in the very near future.
__________________
Macbook 2008
HP Dv7t - 2.53 ghz, 9600m GT, WSXGA+, 120gb ssd, 250 gb 7200rpm
Core i7 3770k, 8gb ram, 2x 120gb sdd raid0, 500gb hdd, GTX 460
Moto X Dev Edition (VZW) Nexus 7

Last edited by blackhand1001; Jan 26, 2013 at 11:22 PM.
blackhand1001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 11:28 PM   #78
F123D
macrumors 68040
 
F123D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Rootmetrics.com Verizon 96.7 | AT&T 96.6 | T-Mobile 96.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard2008 View Post
I don't know what kind of stuff you're smoking, but NONE of the features actually wok RELIABLY and ALMOST CERTAINLY NOT BUG FREE. If that were so, I guess the updates Apple has since released for bug fixes are just plain BS just like your argument. Siri, for example, is certainly NOT polished NOR bug free. Again, using this once on a demo unit in a store is not representative of the entire existence of said feature. I have friends who love Apple and iPhones who don't use Siri (for example) and other Apple features (maps) because they suck. They did love their previous iPhones.
__________________
Jailbroken iPhone 3G -> Jailbroken iPhone 4 -> iPhone 5 -> Galaxy Note II -> Nexus 5
F123D is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:23 AM   #79
SnowLeopard2008
macrumors 604
 
SnowLeopard2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Silicon Valley
Send a message via AIM to SnowLeopard2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by F123D View Post
This is even beyond ignorant.
__________________
Mac Pro | Thunderbolt Display | iPhone 6 | iPad mini | Apple TV | AirPort Extreme
SnowLeopard2008 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 02:40 AM   #80
725032
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Best buy when bust in the UK

Try again next time!
725032 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:18 AM   #81
F123D
macrumors 68040
 
F123D's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Rootmetrics.com Verizon 96.7 | AT&T 96.6 | T-Mobile 96.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard2008 View Post
This is even beyond ignorant.
It is, isn't it?

But switch the words Apple/iPhone with Samsung/Galaxy S and it's a well thought out profound post, right?
__________________
Jailbroken iPhone 3G -> Jailbroken iPhone 4 -> iPhone 5 -> Galaxy Note II -> Nexus 5
F123D is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 04:09 AM   #82
SnowLeopard2008
macrumors 604
 
SnowLeopard2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Silicon Valley
Send a message via AIM to SnowLeopard2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by F123D View Post
It is, isn't it?

But switch the words Apple/iPhone with Samsung/Galaxy S and it's a well thought out profound post, right?
Sure, why not? It's not like the world isn't full of ignorant crap already.
__________________
Mac Pro | Thunderbolt Display | iPhone 6 | iPad mini | Apple TV | AirPort Extreme
SnowLeopard2008 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 06:40 AM   #83
0dev
macrumors 68040
 
0dev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 127.0.0.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiPi View Post
Best buy when bust in the UK

Try again next time!
All the big UK digital retailers have gone bust. HMV, Game, Blockbuster, Virgin Megastores, etc. It's because people are buying online for cheaper prices and online businesses have lower running costs. The highstreet retailer is dead, long live the online retailer.

The only exception to this really is Apple Stores. The Apple Store in Regent Street is actually the most profitable shop in the whole of London. I have to give them kudos for that.
0dev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:49 AM   #84
725032
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0dev View Post
The only exception to this really is Apple Stores. The Apple Store in Regent Street is actually the most profitable shop in the whole of London. I have to give them kudos for that.
Source please
725032 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:51 AM   #85
0dev
macrumors 68040
 
0dev's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: 127.0.0.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiPi View Post
Source please
Sure thing.

I probably should have been clearer and said it's actually the most profitable per square foot. Still very impressive though.
0dev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:03 AM   #86
725032
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard2008 View Post
Sure, why not? It's not like the world isn't full of ignorant crap already.
She's got a point to be honest... Perhaps you should step back from this and calm down. Its only a forum at the end of the day.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0dev View Post

I probably should have been clearer and said it's actually the most profitable per square foot. Still very impressive though.
Yes i was going to say. That makes sense now thanks
725032 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:59 AM   #87
matttye
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lincoln, England
Sounds to me like he might be confusing lightning with MicroUSB.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0dev View Post
All the big UK digital retailers have gone bust. HMV, Game, Blockbuster, Virgin Megastores, etc. It's because people are buying online for cheaper prices and online businesses have lower running costs. The highstreet retailer is dead, long live the online retailer.

The only exception to this really is Apple Stores. The Apple Store in Regent Street is actually the most profitable shop in the whole of London. I have to give them kudos for that.
The Apple Stores are always PACKED. Every single time I see them they're heaving with people. Especially the one in Covent Garden. Went in there the other day.
__________________
iPad 2 16GB Black (WiFi+3G) -- iPhone 5s 64GB Space Grey.
matttye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:19 PM   #88
SnowLeopard2008
macrumors 604
 
SnowLeopard2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Silicon Valley
Send a message via AIM to SnowLeopard2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiPi View Post
She's got a point to be honest... Perhaps you should step back from this and calm down. Its only a forum at the end of the day.

----------



Yes i was going to say. That makes sense now thanks
I am calm. Why wouldn't I be? If someone were to successfully argue supporting the Samsung Galaxy line of devices keyword being successfully, they wouldn't be modifying my post and replacing phrases like Samsung, Galaxy and S Voice with Apple "equivalents" (hardly the correct usage of the word). If what she did is considered a valid point to you, then my god has common sense, logic and reason gone out the door.

Here's what I would say if I were to defend Samsung from Apple fanboys (of whom I am not). Samsung doesn't follow the "one model suits all" model that Apple adheres by. They make a variety of smartphones/tablets and tie them under the Galaxy branding. Galaxy Ace, Duo, Grand, Mini, Note, etc. All of them are specific to a certain region(s) of the world or usage scenarios. They do this because Samsung also designs and manufactures many of the components that go into these smartphones. CPU, GPU, display, memory, SSD, etc. That's why they dominate the Android market in terms of sales, marketshare and profits. They dominate the supply chain AND design house AND manufacturing. They make the components themselves (Apple only designs everything but doesn't actually manufacture down to component level) and also assembles these singular components into proper applications. This is what Samsung does best. What they don't do best is a create ecosystems of both hardware and software. That is not really possible for them because Android is developed by Google. It's direction and focus is determined largely by Google. You can't create an ecosystem when software is basically out of your control and other people are using the same software (LG, Motorola, HTC, Huawei, etc.).

So yes, I praise Samsung for their hardware "monopoly". But Apple has built an empire of people and goods while Samsung has just built an empire of goods.
__________________
Mac Pro | Thunderbolt Display | iPhone 6 | iPad mini | Apple TV | AirPort Extreme
SnowLeopard2008 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:38 PM   #89
daveathall
macrumors 68000
 
daveathall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: North Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard2008 View Post
I am calm. Why wouldn't I be? If someone were to successfully argue supporting the Samsung Galaxy line of devices keyword being successfully, they wouldn't be modifying my post and replacing phrases like Samsung, Galaxy and S Voice with Apple "equivalents" (hardly the correct usage of the word). If what she did is considered a valid point to you, then my god has common sense, logic and reason gone out the door.

Here's what I would say if I were to defend Samsung from Apple fanboys (of whom I am not). Samsung doesn't follow the "one model suits all" model that Apple adheres by. They make a variety of smartphones/tablets and tie them under the Galaxy branding. Galaxy Ace, Duo, Grand, Mini, Note, etc. All of them are specific to a certain region(s) of the world or usage scenarios. They do this because Samsung also designs and manufactures many of the components that go into these smartphones. CPU, GPU, display, memory, SSD, etc. That's why they dominate the Android market in terms of sales, marketshare and profits. They dominate the supply chain AND design house AND manufacturing. They make the components themselves (Apple only designs everything but doesn't actually manufacture down to component level) and also assembles these singular components into proper applications. This is what Samsung does best. What they don't do best is a create ecosystems of both hardware and software. That is not really possible for them because Android is developed by Google. It's direction and focus is determined largely by Google. You can't create an ecosystem when software is basically out of your control and other people are using the same software (LG, Motorola, HTC, Huawei, etc.).

So yes, I praise Samsung for their hardware "monopoly". But Apple has built an empire of people and goods while Samsung has just built an empire of goods.

What Samsung phone have you owned?
daveathall is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 03:52 PM   #90
SnowLeopard2008
macrumors 604
 
SnowLeopard2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Silicon Valley
Send a message via AIM to SnowLeopard2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveathall View Post
What Samsung phone have you owned?
I had the GS3 for a few weeks and both their Nexus smartphones.
__________________
Mac Pro | Thunderbolt Display | iPhone 6 | iPad mini | Apple TV | AirPort Extreme
SnowLeopard2008 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:54 PM   #91
Tarzanman
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard2008 View Post
I had the GS3 for a few weeks and both their Nexus smartphones.
"Both"? Would that be the Nexus One, Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus, or Nexus 4?
__________________
Mongol General: "What is best in life?"
Conan the Barbarian: To crush fanboyism. To see the iPhone 6s bent before you, and to hear the lamentation of their owners.
Tarzanman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:33 PM   #92
SnowLeopard2008
macrumors 604
 
SnowLeopard2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Silicon Valley
Send a message via AIM to SnowLeopard2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
"Both"? Would that be the Nexus One, Nexus S, Galaxy Nexus, or Nexus 4?
Samsung made two Nexus devices. Nexus S and then Galaxy Nexus. Nexus 4 is made by LG. Nexus One made by HTC. And the very first stock Android phone, the T-Mobile G1 was made by HTC.
__________________
Mac Pro | Thunderbolt Display | iPhone 6 | iPad mini | Apple TV | AirPort Extreme
SnowLeopard2008 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 05:56 AM   #93
Lindenhurst
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackandproud View Post
Success leads to jealousy. Apple has been incredibly successful. Why? Because they design great products (they've fallen off a bit, but that's a topic for another post).

The iphone is far and away the best selling and most influential phone design of all time. The samsungs are essentially direct copies.

As a result of apple's success, you get haters. These losers can't stand anyone having any success, so they try to 'tear down' successful businesses and people in this pathetic, passive aggressive fashion.

I have been extremely critical of apple myself when it's warranted (IT11, mountain lion, etc.) but I don't criticize apple just for being apple.
Gs3 a direct copy?? Thankfully it is not. When I left my iPhone for something different and ended up with a GS3, I really liked the fact that it was much different than my iPhone. I'm not saying its better, just different. What appealed to me was the screen size, and I have no doubt that apple iPhones will get larger in the future due to public demand. Maybe they'll make 2 sizes?
I'd consider iPhone again if it were larger.
Lindenhurst is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:53 PM   #94
Stuntman06
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0dev View Post
To actually answer OP's question in this wildly off topic thread... the GS3 uses a micro USB port, which is the same port used by all Android phones and tablets as well as all BlackBerries and Nokias made in the past few years. When it comes to ports the guy has a valid point IMO. The micro USB port is a universal standard, every smartphone uses it... except for Apple's, who know they can get away with charging $50 for a special cable.

If you switch from one Android phone to another, you will have the same port. If you switch to another Android phone from a whole other manufacturer, you will have the same port. If you switch from Android to Windows Phone, you will have the same port. If you go to a friend's house with a low battery and they have that standard micro USB cable lying about, you can charge your phone.
The proprietary chargers that Apple uses for their products actually impacted me once because I don't use Apple products. One day, I wanted to top up the battery on my phone. I was at a friend's place and then realised that he has an iPhone. I was out of luck. I had to wait until I left before I can charge my phone in the car with my car charger.

For me, I currently use an SGS3. I also have a BB for work and have used an HTC and Nokia phone in the past. I like the fact that all of these phones use the standard micro-USB port for charging and connecting your device to a PC. I can freely interchange cables and because they all use the standard cables, I have extras from my old phones and new phones. Often, friends would charge their various phones at my place when they come over.

My wife has an iPhone and previously an iPod. She can only charge her stuff at home or if someone around uses Apple devices. She could not charge her phone in the car because my car charger is a micro-USB port only.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard2008 View Post
Here's what I would say if I were to defend Samsung from Apple fanboys (of whom I am not). Samsung doesn't follow the "one model suits all" model that Apple adheres by. They make a variety of smartphones/tablets and tie them under the Galaxy branding. Galaxy Ace, Duo, Grand, Mini, Note, etc. All of them are specific to a certain region(s) of the world or usage scenarios. They do this because Samsung also designs and manufactures many of the components that go into these smartphones. CPU, GPU, display, memory, SSD, etc. That's why they dominate the Android market in terms of sales, marketshare and profits. They dominate the supply chain AND design house AND manufacturing. They make the components themselves (Apple only designs everything but doesn't actually manufacture down to component level) and also assembles these singular components into proper applications. This is what Samsung does best. What they don't do best is a create ecosystems of both hardware and software. That is not really possible for them because Android is developed by Google. It's direction and focus is determined largely by Google. You can't create an ecosystem when software is basically out of your control and other people are using the same software (LG, Motorola, HTC, Huawei, etc.).

So yes, I praise Samsung for their hardware "monopoly". But Apple has built an empire of people and goods while Samsung has just built an empire of goods.
I would say that they have dominated the Android market recently is that they seem to be the only Android manufacturer in 2012 that had a decent marketing campaign. I heard SGS3 everywhere and practically nothing from the other manufacturers. HTC was the biggest Android device maker in Canada in 2011. I recall seeing a bunch of their ads and then they seemed to have fallen off the face of the earth.

Another reason for the success of Samsung, particularly the SGS3 is that the SGS3 is available on all major carriers (here in Canada at least) from the day it was launched. I actually would have gotten an HTC One X instead, but it wasn't available for my carrier. I thought that was a big mistake on HTC's part. This was their top end device and I was PO'ed that I cannot get it with my hardware upgrade. Their other phone, the One S had one deal breaker (16 GB storage non-expandable), so they missed the mark there, too.

No doubt their Galaxy line of products capitalises on the Galaxy brand. My wife's old phone was a Galaxy Q. It was called something else in the US. Practically everything else is a Galaxy this or that now.
__________________
<\
\>tuntman
Stuntman06 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 06:55 PM   #95
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601
 
Mr. Retrofire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: www.emiliana.cl
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard2008 View Post
I am calm.
Really!?
__________________

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 10:43 PM   #96
SnowLeopard2008
macrumors 604
 
SnowLeopard2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Silicon Valley
Send a message via AIM to SnowLeopard2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Retrofire View Post
Really!?
Yea, this is quite interesting from my point of view. People spouting ignorance all over the place and being lazy with arguments by using find and replace instead of using this thing called a brain.

Now Stuntman6 has a really good point. He actually use this newfound thing called a brain. I agree with his comments, at least the one right above yours.
__________________
Mac Pro | Thunderbolt Display | iPhone 6 | iPad mini | Apple TV | AirPort Extreme
SnowLeopard2008 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 29, 2013, 11:00 PM   #97
SprSynJn
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Japan
Quote:
Originally Posted by N0ddie View Post
Anyhoo! Sold my iPhone 5 a couple of weeks ago (Really gave it to) to my nephew and replaced it with a GS3. Definitely not missing the iPhone and loving my GS3 experience so far. Battery life has now also massively improved.
And how often do you have to force close apps in order to not have your phone die on you? My friends GS3 died from a charge of 68% in less than two hours because he forgot to turn off the navigation in the Maps app. Pretty irritated he was. Meanwhile my iPhone 5 went down a few percentage points on standby in the same time.

Yep, definitely glad I didn't get that phone.
SprSynJn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:22 AM   #98
N0ddie
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Glasgow
Quote:
Originally Posted by SprSynJn View Post
And how often do you have to force close apps in order to not have your phone die on you? My friends GS3 died from a charge of 68% in less than two hours because he forgot to turn off the navigation in the Maps app. Pretty irritated he was. Meanwhile my iPhone 5 went down a few percentage points on standby in the same time.

Yep, definitely glad I didn't get that phone.
I always closed apps on my iPhones. So its no different to how I use my GS3. Whats the problem?
__________________
27" iMac, 3.4GHz i7, 16Gb RAM, 1TB HDD+ 256Gb SSD; iPad Air 128Gb; iPad 2, 64Gb; iPad Mini 16Gb; iPod Touch, 16Gb; Apple TV 3; Blue iPhone 5C 32Gb
N0ddie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:33 AM   #99
Tarzanman
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SprSynJn View Post
And how often do you have to force close apps in order to not have your phone die on you? My friends GS3 died from a charge of 68% in less than two hours because he forgot to turn off the navigation in the Maps app. Pretty irritated he was. Meanwhile my iPhone 5 went down a few percentage points on standby in the same time.

Yep, definitely glad I didn't get that phone.
Begging your pardon, but your friend is a dummy for not turning off Navigation.... and your criticism of the phone is silly.

Navigation is probably the most battery hungry application on the phone.
-It constantly polls data from the GPS chip
-It constantly pulls data from google's mapping servers
-It constantly renders your location and all the streets (or even satellite images) around you
-It does all of this in real time while calculating the fastest route based on real time traffic.
-It does all of the above in the background so you can answer your phone or play music or whatever simultaneously. It is designed to not deactivate itself until the user decides that they have reached their destination.

Gee, what would a handheld GPS device do if I left it on for hours after I reached my destination?

Well, I suppose it might eventually run out of battery power too.

Explain to me again how this is an oversight or design flaw?
__________________
Mongol General: "What is best in life?"
Conan the Barbarian: To crush fanboyism. To see the iPhone 6s bent before you, and to hear the lamentation of their owners.
Tarzanman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 06:39 AM   #100
The-Real-Deal82
macrumors 65816
 
The-Real-Deal82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuntman06 View Post
The proprietary chargers that Apple uses for their products actually impacted me once because I don't use Apple products. One day, I wanted to top up the battery on my phone. I was at a friend's place and then realised that he has an iPhone. I was out of luck. I had to wait until I left before I can charge my phone in the car with my car charger.

For me, I currently use an SGS3. I also have a BB for work and have used an HTC and Nokia phone in the past. I like the fact that all of these phones use the standard micro-USB port for charging and connecting your device to a PC. I can freely interchange cables and because they all use the standard cables, I have extras from my old phones and new phones. Often, friends would charge their various phones at my place when they come over.

My wife has an iPhone and previously an iPod. She can only charge her stuff at home or if someone around uses Apple devices. She could not charge her phone in the car because my car charger is a micro-USB port only.
I can see how the instances you have stated could be a problem for you. Then again its only in recent years we've seen micro USB being the norm and years ago we had Nokia, Motorola, Siemens, Sony etc all having totally different connectors. I remember I got a few emergency charger gadgets for xmas over the years that would often come with about 12 different adapters to suit all phones. Nowadays it mostly iPhone or micro USB that people own so its not the end of the world.

For me, most of my friends and social group own iPhones and at work most people own iPhones so getting hold of a charger is never usually a problem. I can see the argument to standardise all mobile chargers and connectors but if they were to do that I would support the lightning connector being the standard, if only Apple would allow its use to others.
__________________
iPhone 6 Silver 64GB iPhone 5 32GB White iPad 3 32GB Black iPad Air 16GB White iPod Touch (2007)
The-Real-Deal82 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tablets: Ask a new Note 8.0 owner, former iPad Mini owner anything Essenar Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 79 Sep 2, 2013 05:40 AM
phones: GS3 or Nexus 4? jrswizzle Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 55 Jan 26, 2013 06:07 PM
phones: Nexus 4 or gs3 ? roxxette Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 32 Oct 31, 2012 03:06 AM
Facebook Page Owner can't comment as SELF danwhit iPhone and iPod touch Apps 0 Sep 21, 2012 01:38 PM
More colors for the GS3 Dontazemebro Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 32 Aug 28, 2012 10:43 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:13 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC